Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums New User Introductions

Notices

Looking for advise/suggestions
Unread 08-31-2016, 11:12 PM   #1
James Turnbull
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Looking for advise/suggestions

I have been a trap shooter/upland bird hunter for years, though haven't hunted for 3 or 4 years, but recently have in my possession a Parker Bro., 12 ga, GH, 30" barrels in really nice shape, tight action, crisp triggers, shinny bore. Stock appears to have been trimmed, has a Josten pad on it. One of the shooters at our trap and skeet club shoots 2 English made (proofed) guns from the 1870's and a French gun. Just checking to see if this gun would stand up to some very light loads, I did have a gun smith check the barrels, he said 2 3/4 in" chambers and did a ring test, said he thought it would be ok to shoot but would deny having said anything should things go south. Have noted conversations about shooting these referencing Mr. Bell but have not read any of his articles. I am impressed with the construction of these guns, and the info on this site, thinking about hitting the field for some chukers or quail with this old girl. Have come up with two dates of manufacture, 1872 and 1882, for #79482, (hammerless). Any info would be great.
James Turnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2016, 07:12 AM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,184 Times in 12,366 Posts

It would behoove you to have the chamber length and barrel wall thicknesses properly measured by an expert in old double guns. It will probably pass muster but I think you really owe it to yourself and to the gun to have this done.

What is the serial number or year of manufacture? Very few Meriden era 12 gauge Parkers were made with 2 3/4" chambers so if the chambers were lengthened to 2 3/4" the wall thickness may have been compromised by doing so.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2016, 08:20 AM   #3
Gunner
Forum Associate

Member Info

SN 79482 was built in 1893 and originally sported 36" barrels per Serialization Book. Look to see if barrels have been shortened. Book is occasionally wrong or there was a second set or barrels or even replacement barrels.
What is the frame size and how heavy are the barrels?
Chambers might or might not have been lengthened depending on reliability of gunsmiths measurements. Seek better professional advice and if the gun is OK'd shoot low pressure rounds and not max loads.
Erick
Erick Dorr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Dorr For Your Post:
Unread 09-01-2016, 08:29 AM   #4
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,184 Times in 12,366 Posts

Are the current barrels Damascus or fluid steel? It will be stamped into the top rib.

There is a lot to know about these guns before shooting them.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advise/info
Unread 09-01-2016, 11:04 AM   #5
James Turnbull
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Advise/info

Thanks to everyone who responded and will take Dean's advise and have the chambers checked again as well as the wall thickness.

Concerning the barrels, they have Parker Bros., Makers, Meriden Conn. Damascus Steel, on the rib. I looked at the end of the barrels, has the bead, and ends look factory to me, unless someone cut them off he did a very good job. I'd say they are factory.

As to the serial # on the water table appears 3 different patent dates, 1875, 1887, and 1888. There is the #2 above the ser. # 79432, then the letter G below the number. I looked closely again at the number and pretty sure it is a 3 and not an 8 as I previously stated and appears to have 79432 on the grip below the trigger guard. Sorry about that, but thought it was just worn there and the 3 was an 8.

Any suggestions on a gunsmith in the Northwest that would be knowledgeable about these doubles?
Unread 09-01-2016, 01:49 PM   #6
gunho
PGCA Member

Member Info

The #2 above the serial number on the water table should be the numerical designation to the "G" grade below the serial number.

If you could post a pic of the end of the bbls. we could give you a better idea if the bbls. have been cut.
Richard White is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2016, 03:00 PM   #7
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,608 Times in 1,556 Posts

as pointed out above the book (which has been wrong occasionally), says 36" barrels. What are yours?
Unread 09-02-2016, 04:02 PM   #8
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,853 Times in 4,747 Posts

Different gun.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2016, 08:48 PM   #9
James Turnbull
PGCA Member

Member Info

thanks again guys, to Big D's question, the barrels are 30 ", checking the ser. # at this website shows manufacture date of 1893 with ser # 79432. Will be looking for SxS gunsmiths to check out this gun for wall thickness and shell length as previously suggested, don't want to move to fast, hunting seasons are opening here in the NW and might have got a little carried away in wanting to shoot it, lol.
Unread 11-02-2016, 04:14 PM   #10
James Turnbull
PGCA Member

Member Info

Just an up date on checking out this Parker. I was able to take it Ljutic, LLC here in Yakima and had one of the smith there check the chokes, chambers, and barrels. They confirm the chambers are 2-3/4, full and full, left measured .031 and the right .034. I think the barrel thickness 8"to 10" down was .030. Subsequently, bought some RST 2/1/2 in shells and shot a round of 16yrd trap, was impressed on how hard the targets broke, didn't shoot a 25 but in the high teens with keeping my head up off the stock to see the target, shot 6 pairs of doubles, broke the 1st bird, but was slow getting my finger on to the back trigger, (didn't want to place fingers on both triggers.) Fun and interesting gun. May try it on some chukers after the elk hunters are done.