Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Damascus DH 12 1 frame Restoration underway
Unread 01-17-2014, 10:21 PM   #1
jsd245
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Damascus DH 12 1 frame Restoration underway

I posted here - http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12362 -about the two guns I bought , a DH 12ga and a GH 12 ga, both pretty rough. I was concerned that the barrel damage on the DH was not repairable, but Brad Bachelder called me today (super nice guy, first time I talked to him) and said he could fix them. So he'll fix them and refinish them. Since the gun needs a new stock, the original is butchered beyond repair, I've decided to go the full Monty on the DH and restore this gun. Brian Dudley will restock it and I will send the receiver to Brad for case coloring. Stay tuned for pictures in a while.

I'm pretty excited , this will be my first really "fine" vintage double. My 16 VHE is nice, and I've got a LC smith field which I also really like, those are nice guns , but this is another level.
Jeff Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Davis For Your Post:
Barrels are done
Unread 03-04-2014, 07:39 AM   #2
jsd245
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Barrels are done

Brad Bachelder finished the barrels. I don't have them in hand since they're going to be sent directly to Brian Dudley, but I got some pictures. The damage was repaired very nicely, of course there was am interruption in the pattern where the laser welding was done, but I'm amazed how well that spot turned out. First pictures was how they started.

Unread 03-04-2014, 10:01 AM   #3
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,420 Times in 4,595 Posts

They look great Jeff! The reapir is what it is. It is not broken and sound.
Unread 03-04-2014, 10:53 AM   #4
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,575 Times in 925 Posts

Chances are very good that your laser weld is sound. But it would be wisest to proof that barrel by firing before putting more money into the project. At least, that is what would make me feel considerably more confident. Again, no slight against Bachelder or the welder... just a thought of precaution.
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2014, 09:34 AM   #5
Hammer Fan
Forum Associate

Member Info

Was the barrel actually perforated, at the spot of the lazer weld repair? Reason I'm asking is that I have a Purdey pinfire that I want to restore that has a pit that has perforated the barrels about 2/3 the way down from the breech. It is very bizarre, the bores are almost perfect, except for the one area of extreme pitting. I almost wonder if the gun was stored with something stuck down the barrels at that point for a number of years.

I have been trying to come up with ideas other than sleeving or re-barreling, as to save the original barrels. I have thought of lazer or tig welding repairs, and would love to know someone who has done this kind of work on barrels. Did you send them to Brad, and he outsourced it to a welder, or did he do the work himself? I'll contact him regardless to see what he thinks.
Forrest Grilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2014, 10:38 AM   #6
jsd245
Forum Associate

Member Info

I believe he does the work in his shop, but I think there are others here who are very familiar with his operation who can answer definitively. I believe brad said that crack was through the barrel wall. I'd send the barrels to him. Another person on the board has said that Brad repaired a set of barrels for him that were actually split. I was ready to throw these barrels in the trash but a couple folks said to send them to Brad and see what he could do. Conceptually I have no problem with the welding repair on these Damascus barrels which are nothing more than a mass of welds themselves, provided the weld can be accomplished without weakening the surrounding welds , which that laser welding technique seems to accomplish.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Davis For Your Post:
DH is done
Unread 02-08-2017, 12:51 AM   #7
jsd245
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default DH is done

So I started this thread a while ago. Above you can see the pictures of the barrel damage that Brad Bachelder did such a great job fixing and refinishing. I thought they were not salvageable.

Brian Dudley finished the rest of the work on the gun. He restocked it, all new screws needed to be made, The engraving was taken up, and it was case colored.

I cannot be more pleased with the results. The gun is perfect in every way. This gun was destined for the parts bin and I'm glad I ressurected it. It is a one frame that weighs in at just under 7 pounds with 30" barrels. it is well balanced and beautiful.

This type of craftsmanship is so rare these days, and I feel we are extremely lucky to have access to craftsmen like Brian.

Below are a few pictures. It was quite a transformation.

Unread 02-08-2017, 06:59 AM   #8
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,307 Times in 4,412 Posts

Beautiful work! It really turned out well
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2017, 11:33 AM   #9
Kirk Pfeffer
Forum Associate