Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 12-14-2011, 05:53 PM   #31
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Daryl, Maybe we should just pack another bottle when the stock ships down....
Unread 12-14-2011, 08:36 PM   #32
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,277 Times in 2,428 Posts

Naah, one bottle of that fancy liquor is all my system can handle. Don't want to develop a drinking problem. Besides I've got to keep a clear head for the Southern and Ernie's what with all the 28's you'll be bringing. A little over 4 months to go and it could'nt come sooner.
Daryl Corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2011, 08:26 AM   #33
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,541 Times in 4,621 Posts

Well I picked up a 600Jr. Mark V on Ebay. Pete actually turned me on to the auction. Thanks again!

Nice lightly used machine that included total of 3 charge bars and 8 powder bushings. Got is for $165 shipped.

I am excited to get the chance to reload my first shells.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 12-20-2011, 09:21 AM   #34
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,370 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Dudley View Post
Well I picked up a 600Jr. Mark V on Ebay. Pete actually turned me on to the auction. Thanks again!

Nice lightly used machine that included total of 3 charge bars and 8 powder bushings. Got is for $165 shipped.

I am excited to get the chance to reload my first shells.
Congrats Brian, you are now going to start having some fun! I was hoping you would win (but a lower price of course) When you fire your first reload, it is very satisfying, so is taking your first game with your own reloads. Some say reloading saves money, my theory is you shoot more shells for the same money spent

Here are some websites you should find useful:

Alliant Reloading Data Center: http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/index.aspx

Hodgdon/Dupont Data Center: http://data.hodgdon.com/shotshell_load.asp

MEC Bushing Chart: http://www.mecreloaders.com/document...shingChart.pdf

Where to get MEC accessories and parts: http://www.mecreloaders.com/
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2011, 07:30 PM   #35
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,541 Times in 4,621 Posts

Yeah, I was hoping to spend less money too, but I don't think I did too bad considering the condition and all the extras.
Unread 12-20-2011, 07:41 PM   #36
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Dudley View Post
Yeah, I was hoping to spend less money too, but I don't think I did too bad considering the condition and all the extras.
You did fine Brian, as I mentioned in my PM when I saw the auction, the bars and bushings retail for $70 plus (with no shipping) and you have a 6 point crimper and spare wad fingers. You are ready to go in wide range of loads. Wait until you see first hand how 7/8 ounce 12ga loads smash clay pigeons and how easy they are on the gun and shoulder. Reloading is really the way to go to control both pressure and recoil in vintage doubles.
Unread 12-20-2011, 08:58 PM   #37
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,277 Times in 2,428 Posts

Brian,
You'll drive yourself crazy with the bushings and the different charge bars. Do yourself a favor and buy an adjustable charge bar and you will be able to dial in exactly what charges you want to throw. Buy yourself a good scale- you'll need that no matter what kind of bar you use. Mec's bushing chart is not that accurate and it's not meant to be. I'm kind of a fanatic- if the load calls for 16.7gr., I want to throw 16.7gr. Take you time getting started and enjoy the fruits of your labor. Good luck, and as Pete says you will just love the way a 7/8oz. load smashes targets but not your gun. You will wonder why you ever needed an 1 1/8oz. load to break targets with.
Daryl
Daryl Corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2011, 09:08 PM   #38
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Corona View Post
Brian,
You'll drive yourself crazy with the bushings and the different charge bars. Do yourself a favor and buy an adjustable charge bar and you will be able to dial in exactly what charges you want to throw. Buy yourself a good scale- you'll need that no matter what kind of bar you use. Mec's bushing chart is not that accurate and it's not meant to be. I'm kind of a fanatic- if the load calls for 16.7gr., I want to throw 16.7gr. Take you time getting started and enjoy the fruits of your labor. Good luck, and as Pete says you will just love the way a 7/8oz. load smashes targets but not your gun. You will wonder why you ever needed an 1 1/8oz. load to break targets with.
Daryl
Different strokes for different folks. I have an adustable bar and seldom use it as I think it's a pain in the butt to adjust it everytime I want to change what I am loading. I think the MEC bars and bushings are the way to go and much more convenient for rapid change over from one load to the next. MEC bushings tend to throw on the light side but not with every powder, shot bars tend to throw light as well depending on shot size used and amount in antimony in the shot. I remind myself these are shotguns and not rifles, although a bit imprecise the MEC bushings/chart and MEC bars are close enough. A powder scale is quite useful and a good used beam scale can be had for very little money. Start slow Brian, pick a recipe or two, use the MEC bar and recommended bushing for the load and shoot away until you get used to the process, then you can venture out into the land of scales, adjustable bars, progressive reloaders, pattern boards etc. Have fun.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pete Lester For Your Post:
Unread 12-22-2011, 01:00 PM   #39
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

I wouldn't be without an adjustable bar- have them for my 12ga 600 and my 650 in 12,20, and 28ga. You can get exact powder charges and I like to dial in the shot so it just fills the wad which is usually a bit light. You'll use less shot, get just as good a pattern because of less shot deformation, and have lower pressures. Most guys at my club load 12ga at 7/8oz for clays. I'm between 7/8 and 3/4oz [ maybe 3/4oz when I run out of CB-4100 wads and start useing CB-0178 wads] and have no problem keeping up with the hot shots. I like the adj. bar because you don't have to take bottles off to change bushings or bars. JMHI - Paul
Paul Harm is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Paul Harm's homepage!
Unread 12-22-2011, 01:31 PM   #40
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Daryl, because at my club we put in big orders we get reloading supplies for dealer cost [ Claybuster wads are $68/5000 ] and I've been useing the CB-4100 wad that is for 7/8 or 1oz of shot. I'm almost out and have 5000 of the CB-0178 wads and it's .060 higher in the cushion area than the 4100. Think I can try some 3/4oz loads and finally get a good crimp. In one of the shotgun magazines I read that Tim Woodhouse tried the 0178 wad with 3/4oz of shot and they worked great. Only problem was at skeet, the pattern was too tight and he had to use softer shot to open it up enough. He claimed he used skeet chokes at sporting clays and had plenty of choke. With only 3/4oz in the 12ga there is almost no shot deformation. This could be a fix for any of you guys with old SxSs with no choke - should give you about an IC. Still have a 1000 of the 4100s so it'll be a couple of weeks before I can try the 0178s. For a powder charge, I'll use what I do for 7/8oz and pick up some FPS. Let you know how it works out. Paul
Paul Harm is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Paul Harm's homepage!