Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums New User Introductions

Notices

Hello :)
Unread 07-03-2012, 07:04 PM   #1
Sarah Runge
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Hello :)

Hey guys (I'm sure you are mostly guys out there). My name isn't really Sarah Runge its Worden but I thought it would make more sense as to why I am here. RPR was my grandfather and I am always in search of people who have great stories about his work and anyone at all who has information about my great grandfather RR as signed on his engravings So if you'd like me to post these requests in the engravers forum I will just someone give me a heads up!

Thanks
Sarah
Sarah Runge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2012, 07:17 PM   #2
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Sarah, It is great to have you! Your grandfather was a wonderful engraver and many of us here own guns embellished by his talented hand. I hope Kevin McCormack jumps in here because I believe he knew your grandfather.
Unread 07-03-2012, 08:40 PM   #3
Sarah Runge
Forum Associate

Member Info

Exactly what I was hoping. I never really got to hear about his days at Parker Bros or Remington as he passed when I was in my early teens. I was really hoping some of you guys could tell me how you acquired your gun, what you love about the engraving, what you use it for, and what it means to you as more than a gun...Because as I well know guns are guns, but engraved guns are not just guns!
Unread 07-03-2012, 11:22 PM   #4
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,235 Times in 12,376 Posts

What a treat it is to have you introduce yourself here on the PGCA forum.

We wish you could tell us more about your grandfather than we know but it appears you are here to help you learn about Robert Runge. Well, that's a good thing for you because there are a few here who should be able to help. Certainly Kevin McCormack, as Dave suggests, might be the one who can give you the most information but possibly Dave Noreen can help too. Have you spoken with the DelGregos in Illion, NY?
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2012, 06:34 AM   #5
ch
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

There is a Runge, DelGrego upgrade gun for sale that would be nice in one's collection but a little out of my price range. Good thinkin Dean, Sarah hi sent you a PM with phone #s of the DelGrego's I'm sure they wouldn't care if someone put it on here, but anyway.
calvin humburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2012, 07:17 AM   #6
Sarah Runge
Forum Associate

Member Info

I haven't seen the Del Gregos since I was a little girl, and I'm sure I could tell y'all some fun facts about my grandfather but its your experience with your guns that he engraved that I'd like also some info about RR since that seems to be scarce!
Mr. Runge
Unread 07-04-2012, 07:21 AM   #7
George M. Purtill Member #28
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,291 Times in 861 Posts

Default Mr. Runge

Sarah
I met your grandfather at Larry's shop in 1977 or 1978 in Ilion when I was having an ejector spring fixed on 242022. He seemed to be a fixture there, but i don't think he did his work there in Larry's basement shop of his home. He just seemed like a regular guy, not the God that collectors hold him to be now. I was very young and dint know I was in the presence of legends, even Larry who took a liking to my girlfriend I had with me. But then I can understand that. Your grandfather was like part of the Delgrego family. i think he had his own assigned coffee cup.
If I were you I would get someone to scan you the article mentioned in the other thread by Kevin. and I would contact the Delgregos.

Welcome

PS - the only thing i know he engraved on my guns is the serial number and border on a guard strap on my 28ga 95432 that Larry fixed after some idiot tried to add a straight grip stock on a pistol grip gun.
George M. Purtill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2012, 07:24 AM   #8
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Russ Jackson has a fabulous little CHE 20 ga. that we believe was engraved by Robert Runge. I'm sure he wouldn't mind posting a few pictures of the engraving for you. There are other PGCA members who also own guns engraved by your grandfather and I hope they post some pictures of these guns here. Runge's engraving is very distinctive - especially his dogs and birds. He was a true master engraver and his work is revered by collectors of both Parkers and Remingtons that display his art.
Unread 07-04-2012, 07:33 AM   #9
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

George, you have Parker no. 95432? Wow! According to Parker records that is only the third 28 gauge that Parker Bros. made. What grade is it?
Unread 07-04-2012, 07:40 AM   #10
George M. Purtill Member #28
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,291 Times in 861 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
George, you have Parker no. 95432? Wow! According to Parker records that is only the third 28 gauge that Parker Bros. made. What grade is it?
Actually the number is earlier- 95428
VH but it has aftermarket ejectors that larry thought were very good.
I thought the records are missing from that period?
George M. Purtill is offline   Reply With Quote