Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Off face
Unread 10-28-2022, 09:56 AM   #1
Aaron Beck
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Off face

How do they get off face?
In Drew's recent post the parker marketing literature made pains to say that the guns cannot work themselves loose from shooting. Is that actually true? lets say your grandad started using high brass in a 0 frame gun, still true? He went quail hunting every weekend for his whole life, does that use account for the loose as a goose action? Shot 20k rds of skeet to get ready for quail season?
If its not use and shooting, how do they get off face? In some cases, not even a little bit. Like it worked so loose that you could close it on a quarter, at what point (if ever) did grandad stop shooting this, probably when he got the 11-87 but not because it was loose.
jesting aside, these are real questions and any wisdom of experience would be of interest.
Aaron Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2022, 11:16 AM   #2
Bruce P Bruner
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,941 Times in 361 Posts

Just opening and closing the gun without lubrication on the hinge pin will cause the wear, it’s not a design problem.
Bruce P Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bruce P Bruner For Your Post:
Unread 10-28-2022, 11:31 AM   #3
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,906 Times in 2,688 Posts

As Bruce said, it's usually from wear on the hinge pin. Dan R told me once the wear starts showing up on the face, the process accelerates by more shooting. The shooting causes the "off face" to worsen due to the recoil forces exacted onto the action.
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Koneski For Your Post:
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 10-28-2022, 11:34 AM   #4
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,533 Times in 3,406 Posts

Years ago I had a then new K-32 , we were at the National Capitol Gun Club then in Damascus MD shooting the Westy Hogan . I hate having grease on a gun and kept it more to the dry side . That gun damn near locked up on me that day and actually galled the front of the reciever where the forend iron rubbed against . Now I lubricate a good bit more .
Unread 10-28-2022, 11:41 AM   #5
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,541 Times in 4,621 Posts

They get off face and loose from use. And accelerated by neglect.

And you have to remember that when the maker says “will never shoot loose”. One must consider what they mean by “Never”. Just like a lifetime warranty is usually intended to be the lifetime of the product, not the owners lifetime. I wonder what makers like Parker expected the realistic lifespan of the guns to be? We know that it was likely not 100+ years.

Also, consider that at the time there were many very cheap poorly made guns on the market. From overseas and domestic makers. Hardware store guns have you. Ones that would certainly shoot loose and fall apart in possibly 10-20 years of moderate use. So when looking at the field of shotgun offerings, that is more what advertising claims are steeped in.

One can easily look at all of the guns today, 100 or more years after they were made, and see the average condition they are in and see which ones were superior in design, workmanship and materials.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 10-28-2022, 01:12 PM   #6
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

That's why I use Chevron Ultra grease, a wheel bearing like grease on the hook and the wear plate. It's v sticky and does not wash away at all. The stickier the better. You can get this stuff for free in a small 2-0z? sample bottle from any Chevron distributor. One little bottle is a lifetime supply of grease for this usage. When I get home from Denver I'll add a photo of one of these bottles. Or Bruce Day can beat me to it and post one of the bottle I gave him.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2022, 02:04 PM   #7
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,075 Times in 411 Posts

On surfaces that are not in contact with people and need to slide, I typically use a 40% MoS2 (moly disulfide) paste. It is pretty expensive but one 4 oz bottle is still nearly full after 20 years. It is black and messy, but it literally bonds to the metal and a thin smear will last an incredible amount of time. I started using it for sear engagements in target triggers set at 1-3 oz let offs. It smooths the motion and makes them more consistent without reducing them. I have since started using it on hinge pins, the nose of cocking hooks and rods etc. In those services it eases friction and gives a smoother motion. A dip on the end of a toothpick will do a trigger sear engagement and last until the next gun cleaning.

I have always been amazed at how much some old guns wear at the joint. I am not sure I could put polishing compound in the joint and have enough energy and time to wear it to the point many seem to reach.

One thing that may play into wear of the system is galling due to similar metals. I don't really know about the metallurgy of Parkers, but I ran into to this when I bought an Ultra Light Arms .22 action several years ago. When I recieved the action, I opened the bolt, examined it and closed it. It was rough and grabbed so much I could hardly remove it again. I greased it with the afore meantioned Moly grease. It worked fine but had to be cycled several times to completely coat and smooth. I called Melvin and was told that you had to be very carefully about maintaining lubrication as the bolt and action weremade of exactly the same alloy and would gall instantly without good lube.

I checked all dimensions and found it to be fit properly and to the same clearances of several modern 22 benchrest actions. Those actions have actions and bolts of greatly different metals and tempers, and don't seem to suffer this trait.

Three things are needed for galling; friction, ductility, and cohesive attraction. These three would all be present in a lot of old doubles. (The attraction occurs most commonly in two similar metals). It may be that the hooks and pins of these older guns are of similar materials and temper, and suffer from more wear than would be anticipated due to the galling effect of the metal itself. The galling typically occurs rapidly in discrete incidents and is not a gradually wearing. I suspect a replacement of a different alloy and temper may last longer with or without grease.
Arthur Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arthur Shaffer For Your Post:
Unread 10-28-2022, 04:19 PM   #8
Aaron Beck
PGCA Member

Member Info

I suppose with all the mention of modern lubricants its worth noting that older solutions were more likely animal or plant based but im sure by 1918 or so they were petroleum derivatives. Doubtless the avg person wasnt planning to have the guns last forever, just look at the ones with badly pitted bores.
In carrying these things in the woods its amazing how quickly junk gets into the action, this doesnt seem to be a good mix with grease as opposed to oil. I also wonder about historic conditions, roads werent paved for instance so country living was dustier.
Aaron Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2022, 05:18 PM   #9
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,235 Times in 12,376 Posts

Modern lubricants may be far superior to the lubricants of the past but there’s little today that can beat the lubricating qualities and properties of pure sperm oil applied at regular intervals.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2022, 06:12 PM   #10
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,312 Times in 1,219 Posts

I posted here in error. Deleted.
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote