Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 03-16-2018, 03:16 PM   #51
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dwyer View Post
Todd
I also was amazed but his estimate of value between 95% and 98% but have immense respect for his opinion as that is the area he plays in.
The gentlemen you and Dean are referring to sounds like an expert's, expert when it comes to that "as new" niche market. I am sure in parlance of that arena there are distinct differences that make up a fine line between a 95% to 98% rated condition that has been alluded to. What sounds like something so slight or subtle of a difference to me seems to produces a big swing in pricing/value, and that is what fascinates me and if it is a consistent rule of thumb or an anomaly. I guess it depends if your a buyer or seller regarding your posture on a particular item. I am sure that multiplier could change as well depending on someone's wants, resources and needs.

Anyway a great discussion and learned something. One of my favorite quotes comes from an orthopedic surgeon that even in his 70's is at the top his game and cutting edge when it comes to sports injuries and treating them. All the pro athletes that have issues somehow make their way to see him when they have challenging issues. Instead of slowing down he is trying to expand the practice. When asked why he just said "If you aren't green, you're not growing"
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2018, 03:17 PM   #52
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,084 Times in 1,195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Anderson View Post
David I like to use them albeit carefully. I have had NIB guns before and sold them. In January while riding in the hunting buggy during our quail hunt Gunner's Gun suffered a deep scratch from a latch on the gun box. It really pissed me off but as soon as I got home it went to the smith and he made it good as new.
A couple of years ago I took a bad spill in the grouse woods with a CHE 20. According to TPS it's one of eight produced with 26 inch Damascus barrels. I bent my glasses and had a bruise on my arm from wrist to elbow but the gun didn't get hurt.

I'll have a couple of high condition guns to shoot at Drakes. Why save them for the next guy? Some heir might get less for them but ask me if I care
Dave I was with Rich when he pulled Gunners gun out from the gun box, I must say he handled it very well... My Holland 28 was on the inside of that box so I was lucky (should have played the lotto ! ) But I hunted with Holland 28 for two days and enjoyed every minute of it. It's my most expensive gun but if I can't shoot it then I don't need it and that was the reason why I sold my collection of D grades (8ga through 410) that were 95% or better condition guns, as they just sat on the wall and I enjoyed them and I enjoyed the ten year hunt for them, but I couldn't shoot them so off they went to another collector who got to enjoy them.
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Eric Eis For Your Post:
Unread 03-17-2018, 09:52 AM   #53
Alfred Greeson
PGCA Member

Member Info

I doubt I will ever have to worry about whether to use or not use my nib Parker. But, I really enjoy what I have. I recently acquired another 20 Trojan with an Ithaca pad on it that reads "PAT. APPL'D FOR", I just wonder how old that pad might be. It is a 1916 gun with the usual 100 years of wear but still in very good condition and comes to shoulder like a wand. May be just a Trojan but you gotta love a Parker!
The expert mentioned in this thread, John, is just that and a great guy to learn from. I miss the articles from the late Gene Hill and John was a hunting buddy of his. John told me a few years ago about a gentleman who came into his shop and purchased a nice 28 Parker, walked out and put it in the gun rack behind the seat of his pickup and drove across the railroad track by his shop with the Parker bouncing in the rack. I still wonder about that gun and what it looks like today. Love em and use em and the next generation will be glad we did! Met an old bear hunter this week who said he killed 15 grouse out of 19 shots this year and he might be interested in my new Trojan but, it is not for sale.
Alfred Greeson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alfred Greeson For Your Post:
Unread 03-17-2018, 10:26 AM   #54
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,609 Times in 1,556 Posts

15/19? He's either lying or "Arkansawing" them. In either case, he doesn't need any Parker
Unread 03-17-2018, 10:54 AM   #55
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred Greeson View Post
Met an old bear hunter this week who said he killed 15 grouse out of 19 shots this year and he might be interested in my new Trojan but, it is not for sale.
That is a very impressive statistic and sounded like a heck of a grouse season considering this day and age. I would almost use the word inconceivable on numbers, but I have heard of recent similar success. Two years ago I was visiting with Jim Justice on a project, and he is a die hard grouse hunter. He has a private managed area in WV where he does his grouse hunting and he told me some of his numbers and they were on par, but his total harvest was higher. I asked him if that was normal and he said heck no, but he was trying to repeat it in the future with some active property management.

Also agree with the sentiment about these guns whether you shoot em or hold em back. I don't think I will ever own a gun that won't be employing to shoot, but have more than enough that I don't shoot as much as I would like, but having them is really great.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2018, 11:11 AM   #56
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,636 Times in 634 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dallas View Post
15/19? He's either lying or "Arkansawing" them. In either case, he doesn't need any Parker
I prefer to call them “high percentage shots”...
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jay Gardner For Your Post:
Unread 03-17-2018, 11:57 AM   #57
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,101 Times in 674 Posts

15/19 - Hmmm! Ask him what brand of 22 ammo he prefers.
Gary Laudermilch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gary Laudermilch For Your Post:
Unread 03-18-2018, 09:06 PM   #58
Alfred Greeson
PGCA Member

Member Info

He didn't mention how many were flying. You may have guessed it. He did say food was hard to find and he found an area where they were thick but didn't find them at all otherwise. Like I said, I just met him and he said he lived in a rough area up in the mountains, you don't go there unless you know someone there. Definitely known for good moonshine. which can cause difficulty when counting grouse and shots.
Alfred Greeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2018, 03:34 PM   #59
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,619 Times in 1,024 Posts

Was he using leaf sights or peep sight??
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2018, 05:58 PM   #60
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,244 Times in 2,416 Posts

I paid dearly for a 32" DHE 20 on a 1 frame many years ago and it has more than doubled in price. It sports a raised flat rib, straight grip and all the other goodies that come with a D grade. I know it's not a V grade but the bottom line is that 32" smallbores are very desirable. Grab it if you can.