Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 03-10-2018, 01:19 PM   #51
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Davis View Post
No doubt the Parker name could be purchased as part of the Bankruptcy proceedings. Fast work and good Lawyer may be inexpensive. Can’t see the current gun industry being interested .

William
Ya know that did cross my mind, and right now you would have the best negotiating power you ever had, but again how to value a brand that produces no product. Its almost like buying the Tucker car brand at this point.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2018, 03:48 PM   #52
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Be clear I am not a attorney. My Bankruptcy experience is limited to collecting from defunct customers and how it works depends on a lot.

Generally the court appoints a trustee who is representing the creditors as a group trying to obtain the maximum. He’s just guy trying for the highest price and most times paid a percentage. He does have some deadlines and often late in the process assets go for pennies on the dollar. Other times the opposite. Anybody serious gets in touch and asks how he’s going to liquidate. Trustee will give you the details, that’s his job.

William
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to William Davis For Your Post:
Unread 03-10-2018, 04:26 PM   #53
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,516 Times in 3,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Wasylyna View Post

I know Muderlack et al. are like gospel around here. However, I must point out that at least as of 2004, it is Remington’s position that they have rights in the PARKER BROS. mark (as well as the PARKER mark, which they have registered).
I stand corrected, and educated. Thank you for that Victor. It's particularly disappointing that Remington (RA) was able to get issued a new trademark in 2004.
I read enough of your attachment to further inflame my teeth but beyond that, Just plain quit.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2018, 06:21 PM   #54
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,853 Times in 4,747 Posts

Kevin McCormack and I had an interesting afternoon at Millbrook a few years ago, inspecting and test firing the new Parker Brothers, Makers over under. I was unable to shoot it, because I was recovering from or preparing for surgery, but Kevin had a good time shooting it. In the intervening years, I lost track of the project, except for going on the website occasionally. I never saw the guns again, never heard from the representatives, although I had agreed to take the gun on the road as a competitor and promoter, if that proposal appealed to them. I'm sure the gun had its positive features, but it was way too busy around the breech with pins, screws to loosen, and crevices to collect dirt and powder residue. I wonder if there are still a couple of them around for research and display?
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2018, 07:12 AM   #55
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Davis View Post
Be clear I am not a attorney. My Bankruptcy experience is limited to collecting from defunct customers and how it works depends on a lot.

Generally the court appoints a trustee who is representing the creditors as a group trying to obtain the maximum. He’s just guy trying for the highest price and most times paid a percentage. He does have some deadlines and often late in the process assets go for pennies on the dollar. Other times the opposite. Anybody serious gets in touch and asks how he’s going to liquidate. Trustee will give you the details, that’s his job.

William
I think you are correct in the process and had a recent client go through it and it went down as you described. I'm no attorney either.

Btw did do some research and seems Remington has $1 billion in debt and has delayed filing until Tuesday-ish of this week. They seek to eliminate $700 mil in debt, restructure and then reportedly sale after restructure if they get their way. They gambled miserably on black guns and a certain candidate winning to prompt panic buying. Believe that is liken to mortgaging your house and taking that debt to buy bitcoins.

BTW for any snowflakes watching this board, my sincere apology and condolences in advance to you if you find my analogy insulting or it hits to close to home.
Unread 03-11-2018, 07:39 AM   #56
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,518 Times in 4,619 Posts

The subject of that suit SHOULD have been that the Parker name was soiled by putting it on an O/U.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 03-11-2018, 08:51 AM   #57
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,617 Times in 988 Posts

For the benefit of those that have never seen one of these ill-fated Parker Bros. O&U's, here's an advertisement from 2005:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Parker OU 1.jpg (458.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Parker OU 1a.jpg (505.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Parker OU 2.jpg (501.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Parker OU 4.jpg (498.8 KB, 2 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greg Baehman For Your Post:
Unread 03-11-2018, 08:58 AM   #58
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Dudley View Post
The subject of that suit SHOULD have been that the Parker name was soiled by putting it on an O/U.
Don't be surprised if Remington is forced to liquidate, something like that could occur again. Parker's SBT looks almost like an O/U with no U. Parker attached to the SXS is same as peanut butter and jelly sandwich, they just go together. Dare say if the some of the craftsmen inherit to the brand would have last until era O/U started, bet they would have made a damn fine one. C'est la vie.

Last edited by Todd Poer; 03-11-2018 at 09:12 AM..
Unread 03-22-2018, 05:16 PM   #59
Rick Riddell
Forum Associate

Member Info

Smile

Crazy what happened to the label?
Rick Riddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2018, 07:31 PM   #60
Victor Wasylyna
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,467 Times in 330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarspencer View Post
It's particularly disappointing that Remington (RA) was able to get issued a new trademark in 2004.
I hear ya Edger. However, if Remington was not policing its ownership of the PARKER mark, just imagine what could have happened if it was a free-for-all. We had the Skeuse Repro in the 1980s. That was great! (Own them and love them.) But it prompted Remington to wake the f**k up. After the Skeuse Repro died off, there were folks ready to take over what they believed was an abandoned PARKER trademark and start selling PARKER over/unders. (The images Wild Skies posted look nice, but an O/U?) This time, Remington said “no.” Once a trademark is deemed abandoned, the market is open, so be careful what you wished for. It will most likely not be a Skeuse-quality reproduction the next time.

-Victor
Victor Wasylyna is offline   Reply With Quote