Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

plain steel versus decorbinized steel
Unread 01-04-2018, 07:54 PM   #1
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

Default plain steel versus decorbinized steel

just a moment ago i had my early parker lifters out one was a 11 ga and one was a 10 ga..the 10 ga is marked plain steel on the barrels the 11 ga is marked decarbinzed steel i looked at these guns for over an hour i could see by my eye no difference in the steel..i came to the conclusion that they are the same still..what say ye on this question....i shot the 11 ga while i had it out useing plastic 12 ga shells...they swelled very little not noticeably by eye. but you could tell a little differance in them when you stuck them back into the gun..i m saveing them and will reload them at some point............i also noticed there is some differance in the barrel insciptions...the 11 ga is serial number 1500 the ......i then have a 10 ga that has the same thing on it........serial no is 4794.... it has the same inscription as the 11 ga same small letters both start at 3 inches measured with a ruler........then the 10 ga serial no 5087 is marked with larger letters on this gun and they start at 1 3/4 inches from the breach end of gun...i have never noticed this before..the earlier guns are the same but some where between the serial no s of 4794 and the seiial no of 5087 they changed the incription on the barrels and made it larger letters...bothof the serial no guns of 4794 and 5087 have plain steel wrote on the barrels so eventdly the barrel incription was changed between these no s 4794 and 5087...only 293 serial no s apart....i found this interesting about the steel type and the small and bigger inscriptions on the barrel flats.... charlie.
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2018, 01:37 PM   #2
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,577 Times in 926 Posts

Please remember that you can engrave anything on a barrel rib.

And I may be wrong on this, but somewhere in the back of my mind I believe I remember reading that Parker used only one type of fluid steel barrels... but employed more than one "brand names" applied to them.
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2018, 03:31 PM   #3
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

i may be wrong but i think plain steel marked on parker guns is differant steel than fluid steel like the vulcan steel guns....and i believe plain sttel barrels and decarbonized barrel are the same steel this is my opinion by just looking at them by eye....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote