Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Unread 01-02-2014, 11:40 PM   #21
Jordan Palmer
Forum Associate

Member Info

I'm no expert on guns by any means, but I would say the rust could be cleaned up without any evasive procedures leaving some nice patina and my guess it's somewhere between fair & average other than the stock. All the mechanics seems to operate very smoothly.

I am a decent woodworker ( traditional hand tools) so I might just give it a go on making a new stock myself. Any tips from the experts would be apreciated.. I think I have a source on some 50 yr old air dried quarter sawn black walnut that would do nicely.

Maybe someone can confirm this, I was told the ejector mechanism was a rare option on the VH and increased the value by alot.

Thanks for all the great info gentlemen.
This site is truly a wealth of knowledge.
Jordan Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2014, 11:48 PM   #22
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,415 Times in 4,593 Posts

Ejectors would not really be super rare on a V grade, or any other low grade gun for that matter. Well... Super rare on a Trojan. Tee hee.
They were a higher price option. Later on they were standard on the high grade guns and a customer had to request to NOT have them.
Ejectors are a value adder for sure when it comes to book and market value. But true value is if a buyer wants ejectors on a gun they are going to use.

If you are to fashion a stock from scratch, it is a lot of tedious work. But can be rewarding for the hobbyist as a winter project. Or having a stock roughed out on a duplicator that you can then fit and finish can be a way to go as well for a DIY job.
Unread 01-02-2014, 11:58 PM   #23
Jordan Palmer
Forum Associate

Member Info

I would imagine getting the shape of the stock is only about 10% of the work then 85% fitting and 5% finish work lol. I can hear my hand planes, chisels and gouges call me to the garage now to start a prototype.

I will post some pictures here in a bit. Maybe get an expert opinion on this thing, to help finalize my decisions on this sxs's future. It's either going to be an ugly unusable gun handing in my living room or a slightly less ugly gun that works hanging in my living room.
Jordan Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote