Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Unread 06-26-2012, 07:52 AM   #41
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,308 Times in 1,217 Posts

Thanks all for your kind comments.

Daryl, yep I too have been chasing 32" smallbore Foxes forever, without any luck. I slobber all over a friend's 32"/20 gauge Sterlingworth every time I'm in his gun room. I shot it on a sporting course a few times - and that's not helping any. Sounds like you had a good time at the UP shoot. I just couldn't make it this year but Mark's pictures made me feel like I'd been there. Good deal on your 16 Sterlingworth find. A little more cash paid for a nice gun, reverses in the long run when you're handing, shooting and hunting with her. But I'm sure all us in the choir know that. Can you make the Hidden Hollow & Rock Mtn S x S Challenge on August 18-19? If so maybe we can shoot together = warmup of sorts for the AHF Championship at the VC. Frank
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 07:56 AM   #42
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,518 Times in 4,619 Posts

[QUOTE=undecided about the "botched" rib. The VH has a certain history (either way)

Tony[/QUOTE]

Tony, well one thing is for sure, if those areas are not low, then they are original. We may never know what caused it, and it is good for conversation. If you decide to leave as is, it is for good reason. Just another unanswered question.

If you decide to have the gun restored, let us know how it comes out. We would all love to see it.
Unread 06-26-2012, 08:15 AM   #43
Double Play
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,770 Times in 635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Srebro View Post
Can you make the Hidden Hollow & Rock Mtn S x S Challenge on August 18-19?
Frank,
I had not heard of this August shoot. Is it new or is it an annual event?
Larry Frey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 08:42 AM   #44
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,854 Times in 4,747 Posts

Annual shoot over two courses a few miles apart. Ernie's site should explain the particulars. hiddenhollowsportingclays.com
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 06-26-2012, 09:19 AM   #45
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Bill is correct on the annual shoot. See Events tab on Ernie's website which is here:

http://www.hhhsc.net/

In the past it's been 100 birds each at Hidden Hollow and at Rock Mountain Sporting Clays, both in northeastern PA. Rock Mtn. is hosting this year's PA SC Championship held over 4 days in July. (The Side by Side combo shoot is August 18 & 19. Or, I should say the 18th OR the 19th.) You can shoot both courses in one day and in fact, that's what many shooters do. The two clubs are about 20 minutes or so apart. Mike, who along with his wife Susan are owners of Rock Mtn, is a SxS shooter himself and he sets great targets. I hope this is helpful. Frank

Link to the Rock Mountain website is here:

http://www.rockmountainclays.com/index.html

A wonderful day or days out with the SxS's and our friends. What could be nicer? Frank

Last edited by Frank Srebro; 06-26-2012 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: typos corrected
Unread 06-26-2012, 12:09 PM   #46
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,636 Times in 634 Posts

Curious what a 90% condition, 20 ga., VHE, straight stock, Silvers Pad, #1-frame, 32" barrels and 3' chambers would be worth if it lettered that way?
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 09:00 PM   #47
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,241 Times in 2,415 Posts

Frank,
A 32" 20ga Sterly! Heart please be still. I bet she is sweet. Does anyone know how many 32" 16's and 20's were produced? I picked up a 20 at the UP shoot not a 16. Already have a couple 16's. This is my first 20 Fox. This shoot sounds like fun so I might be in touch to plan a trip. Ernie's is only 4 hrs. from here- a piece of cake compared to the UP trip. If you say It's worth the trip I trust you. Any one else interested? Larry, Dave, Dean, or any of the other Hollow Boys. Could be a fun weekend.
Daryl Corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 09:20 PM   #48
10ga Hammer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Daryl, Last year Jent ,JD,and I shot the Hollow/Rock Mt. Challenge, we had a great time. You've shot the hollow so you know what thats about,the Rock is just as much fun/challenging. We shot the Hollow on Sat. and the Rock on Sunday. It's worth the trip.
"Double guns are a sport and a pastime built into a beautiful package to which I attach myself when entering the great theater of autumn, those days now grow more precious because we are given so few".. Robin Lacy
Robert Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2012, 09:26 AM   #49
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Daryl, sorry about the 20 and 16 mixup on the Sterlingworth you snagged at the UP Shoot. My eyes saw 20 and my fingers typed 16; must be something lurking in my subconscious. Sorry to say there is no number or % on the occurance of 32-inch smallbore Steringworths. No one has ever copied/analyzed the production cards for Sterlingworths which would be a massive task, even just for the smallbores. Suffice to say that reports by those of us who have been Fox nuts for years, are that they are very very rare. The 20 gauge 32-incher I referred to earlier is owned by a friend who is well known amongst Parker and Fox people and I can ask him to bring it to the Hidden Hollow/Rock Mtn SxS Combo shoot, for check out by those who might want to look at it. It isn't for sale, or at least it wasn't the mucho times I asked in the past.

I'll add here that I spoke with Ernie yesterday and he confirmed that the SxS Combo can be done in one or two days, shooter's choice. He did say many folks do it over two days for a longer time in the summer weather and settings, and with SxS friends. Those who've shot Hidden Hollow before know that a good part of the course is set for quick grouse type targets, Ernie's specialty. Rock Mountain is more of a conventional sporting clays course and Mike sets really good targets that aren't eye tests. As I mentioned previously Rock Mtn is hosting the PA State SC Championships on July 12 thru 15. Mike told me on Sunday that he bought 50 brand new Lincolns in prep for the State Shoot, to supplement his older traps. He's also put in a brand new sub-gauge course.

Hopefully you, Bob and others can make the shoot either for one day, or both. I typically shoot both courses on one day but it wouldn't take much to bend my arm to a two day/twice through gig. I can also offer up a seat and the back of my shooting rig for carrying guns and ammo. Frank
Unread 06-27-2012, 11:00 AM   #50
Double Play
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,770 Times in 635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Corona View Post
Any one else interested? Larry, Dave, Dean, or any of the other Hollow Boys. Could be a fun weekend.
I just noted it on my calendar. If nothing else comes up between now and then I will likely be there. While shooting clays with Dave S. this weekend he expressed an interest in attending as well.
Larry Frey is offline   Reply With Quote