Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Unread 06-25-2012, 12:59 PM   #31
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,575 Times in 925 Posts

Anthony:
It's a "scotch brite" pad... the kitchen sink type is just a tad too rough... which is why I recco a worn one. But you might find "softer" versions locally.

Bachelder is in Grand Rapids MI... just put the name into the google box for his site.

Best, Kensal

I stand corrected on the rib matting... most shops would have rolled it on. But not Parker!
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 01:32 PM   #32
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,411 Times in 4,591 Posts

Though the rib matting MAY have been a factory botch, it would be a good idea to at least look into getting it fixed. The cost may be reasonable and worth the expense. It may be money well spent considering that some perspective purchasers might be chased away from paying top dollar for such a defect.
Unread 06-25-2012, 03:51 PM   #33
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,236 Times in 1,200 Posts

Anthony, you've really got something to look forward to once you get her in the field. Sorry for my tangent here but I wanted to comment on the 20 gauge, 3-inch performance.

Last spring I found a straight grip VH Parker at show up north. Gun is a 12 gauge, 2 frame, 32-incher, and it came with a spare 2 frame, 32-inch 20 gauge barrel and its forend. The 20 gauge barrel is serial numbered to another gun, and checks out as a factory 3-inch. I pulled out all the stops and had the spare barrel and forend fitted, and ended up with a two-barrel set in time for the first waterfowling gig last fall.

The "Super 20" Parker took five Canadas with ease on the shores of the St Lawrence river in northern NY. It was a test of sorts..... my buds let me shoot first at the tallest, farthest bird that was in range. On both days we had one decoy at ~50 yards to mark the farthest bird I'd take. 5 birds dropped with 8 shots, using BCC 20 gauge/3 inch shells with 1-1/16 oz of #4 bismuth. This 20 gauge barrel is choked F & F. Overall I'd say the 20 gauge didn't lose much against my buds' Benelli SBE, a Super-X 3, and an 870 3 inch pump gun - all using steel shot. Nope she isn't a 20 gauge HE Grade Super Fox, but is probably the closest I'll get to one at a reasonable cost. From this admittedly limited test I'd say those purists who bought those 20 gauge long-barreled, tightly choked Parkers back in the day, knew what they could do if pointed right.

Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Frank Srebro For Your Post:
Unread 06-25-2012, 04:22 PM   #34
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,575 Times in 925 Posts

Anthony:
While I hesitate adding to this already over-long thread, I highly recommend that you not use 3-inch 20-bore cartridges in the gun once it's restored. Even high-velocity 2 3/4" cartridges are not a good choice. Why? Because you gain very little in performance and put a colossal strain on the gun's stock - not to mention your shoulder.

Virtually every American walnut stocked Parker I've ever taken to bits has a cracked stock head. Mostly from aged wood combined with the use of overloaded ammunition.

But it's your gun. You are certainly free to do what you like.

Best, Kensal
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 06:41 PM   #35
Anthony Cibelli
Forum Associate

Member Info

Dean - did not miss it - only pointing out that not all Parkers left the factory perfect regardless of the process - thanks!
Anthony Cibelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 07:08 PM   #36
10 bore
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,436 Times in 796 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Srebro View Post
Anthony, you've really got something to look forward to once you get her in the field. Sorry for my tangent here but I wanted to comment on the 20 gauge, 3-inch performance.

Last spring I found a straight grip VH Parker at show up north. Gun is a 12 gauge, 2 frame, 32-incher, and it came with a spare 2 frame, 32-inch 20 gauge barrel and its forend. The 20 gauge barrel is serial numbered to another gun, and checks out as a factory 3-inch. I pulled out all the stops and had the spare barrel and forend fitted, and ended up with a two-barrel set in time for the first waterfowling gig last fall.

The "Super 20" Parker took five Canadas with ease on the shores of the St Lawrence river in northern NY. It was a test of sorts..... my buds let me shoot first at the tallest, farthest bird that was in range. On both days we had one decoy at ~50 yards to mark the farthest bird I'd take. 5 birds dropped with 8 shots, using BCC 20 gauge/3 inch shells with 1-1/16 oz of #4 bismuth. This 20 gauge barrel is choked F & F. Overall I'd say the 20 gauge didn't lose much against my buds' Benelli SBE, a Super-X 3, and an 870 3 inch pump gun - all using steel shot. Nope she isn't a 20 gauge HE Grade Super Fox, but is probably the closest I'll get to one at a reasonable cost. From this admittedly limited test I'd say those purists who bought those 20 gauge long-barreled, tightly choked Parkers back in the day, knew what they could do if pointed right.

i have killed about 8 to 10 with my 20's with 7/8 th oz of bismuth 6's reloads. not my 1st pic for goose but works in a pinch oh i do love my 30 in VHE 20
scott kittredge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 08:05 PM   #37
Anthony Cibelli
Forum Associate

Member Info

Frank - thank you for the VH story! I love it. And your Parker is beautiful. Who did the work? I am leaning toward having the entire gun restored.

Kensal - I'll probably never use 3" shells. The gun will be more for sporting clays.

B. Dudley - undecided about the "botched" rib. The VH has a certain history (either way)

Tony
Anthony Cibelli is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Cibelli For Your Post:
Unread 06-25-2012, 09:09 PM   #38
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,236 Times in 1,200 Posts

Tony, the 20 gauge barrel & forend fitting was done by Dewey Vicknair, well known to most of the Parker brethren.

Just a few words on shooting 20 gauge/3-inch BCC factory shells in this gun ...... remembering our physics classes, the recoil transferred to the head of the stock is based on only three parameters: mass of the ejecta (shot, wads and powder gasses), velocity of the ejecta, and mass of the gun. Pressure of the load is not a consideration.

Now let's figure...... The 20 gauge BCC ejecta is lighter than many 12 gauge loads the VH was designed for. And let's assume the 20 gauge velocity is about the same as the 12 gauge with comparable hunting loads. And we'll keep in mind the gun is significantly heavier with the 20 gauge/3-inch barrel mounted, than is is with the factory 12 gauge barrel. Ergo, less recoil is transferred to the head of the stock when shooting the 3-inch BCC 1-1/16 oz loads than when shooting something like 1-1/8 ounce 12 gauge hunting loads. Way less than when shooting 1-1/4 ounce 12 gauge hunting loads.

This VH has been out on the sporting course many times. Those 32-inch 20 gauge barrels point like a magic wand

Plenty of mass in either set of barrels
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Frank Srebro For Your Post:
Unread 06-25-2012, 09:38 PM   #39
John Truitt
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,075 Times in 338 Posts

that is one incredable 20 ga. very nice. thanks for sharing with us.
John Truitt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Truitt For Your Post:
Unread 06-25-2012, 09:55 PM   #40
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,082 Times in 2,379 Posts

Great photos Frank. You know you are preaching to the choir here touting the beauty of long barreled smallbores. I just wish I could afford a 32" 20 Fox let alone find one. I did find a real clean 20ga., 28" Sterly with killer dimensions at the UP shoot last week. Probably paid a little too much for it but what the hell. She's got great triggers and IM/F chokes. The search goes on.
Daryl Corona is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daryl Corona For Your Post: