Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

WC Scott hammer guns ?
Unread 07-25-2019, 10:52 PM   #1
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,000 Times in 462 Posts

Default WC Scott hammer guns ?

I have been looking at some of the hammer guns made by WC Scott and I really like the looks of the prince of whale grip on their hammer guns .
I watched a video talking about the history of WC Scotts sxs's and the fellow in the video says that WC Scott invented the top lever you see on just about every sxs or o/u today . He goes on to say that they were eventually bought by H&H I think it was who carried the name until the 1990s .

I have always read the WC Scotts are considered to be well made hammer guns .That they also produced barrels and actions as well for some of the larger outfits and names .

Does anyone here collect or own a WC Scott hammergun/s ?
Would like to see some pictures of them if so .
I was thinking of getting a Parker Bros lifter later this year but keep finding myself pulled to the English made guns .

Would really like to see a WC Scotts 10 gauge hammergun if anyone has one.
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2019, 09:53 AM   #2
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,780 Times in 4,716 Posts

"Prince of Wales". The best example is the Woodward, another fairly good example if the first generation Model 21.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2019, 10:33 AM   #3
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
"Prince of Wales". The best example is the Woodward, another fairly good example if the first generation Model 21.
I really need to start checking my autocorrect.
I havnt really ever looked at any M21s . Woodward sounds familiar however. The pictures I've looked at so far for WC Scott's are at bad angles making it hard to get a look at the stock shape.
Unread 07-26-2019, 10:34 AM   #4
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

This is the best picture I could find for a WC Scott's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg lf.jpeg (31.5 KB, 9 views)
Unread 07-26-2019, 11:01 AM   #5
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,575 Times in 925 Posts

Mr. Starr:
W. & C. Scott (correctly) stands for William and Charles Scott. They had the largest and most prolific gun manufactory in Birmingham. They supplied most of the gunmakers in England with guns and gun components. From rough bits to highly finished guns.

For more, please reference my feature in the Spring 2011 DGJ, "W. & C. Scott & Son -- Gunmaker to the Gunmakers."

Here are a few photos of 12-bore Scott hammer doubles from my collection, past and present (the middle gun is available through Jaqua's at a very good price):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1154 copy.jpg (529.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6880 copy.jpg (530.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9123 copy.jpg (494.2 KB, 2 views)
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John Campbell For Your Post:
Unread 07-26-2019, 12:29 PM   #6
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

[QUOTE=John Campbell;278060]Mr. Starr:
W. & C. Scott (correctly) stands for William and Charles Scott. They had the largest and most prolific gun manufactory in Birmingham. They supplied most of the gunmakers in England with guns and gun components. From rough bits to highly finished guns.

For more, please reference my feature in the Spring 2011 DGJ, "W. & C. Scott & Son -- Gunmaker to the Gunmakers."

Beautiful guns , I got my eye on two different W.& C. Scott's both 10 gauge hammer guns . I'm kind of iffy on one because it has shiny bores and I've seen alot of people say on a gun of that vintage it usually points to it being honed out . There's a decent looking 12 ga W.C up for sale for 1400$ I think it was . The two 10 gauges in looking at are around 2500$ . I figure they will still be there in November .

One of the 10 gauges is 10lbs and the other is 9lbs 6oz but they look identical .

Honestly I would get another C.G Bonehill but I'm not a fan of the snap on forends . From what I've read W. & .C Scott are good guns that are reasonably priced .
Unread 07-26-2019, 12:40 PM   #7
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,575 Times in 925 Posts

Mr. Starr:
It isn't the honing of a bore that's bad. It's honing that renders the barrel wall thickness too thin. Have any honed bore measured for thickness. If there's enough thickness left in critical areas (generally over .025), it's safe.

And... the Scott Premiere grade was every bit as fine a gun as any made in the UK. It just didn't have a maker's cachet the others did.

Not all Bonehills were made with snap on forends. But most Bonehills are nowhere near a good Scott for quality.
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2019, 12:56 PM   #8
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Campbell View Post
Mr. Starr:
It isn't the honing of a bore that's bad. It's honing that renders the barrel wall thickness too thin. Have any honed bore measured for thickness. If there's enough thickness left in critical areas (generally over .025), it's safe.

And... the Scott Premiere grade was every bit as fine a gun as any made in the UK. It just didn't have a maker's cachet the others did.

Not all Bonehills were made with snap on forends. But most Bonehills are nowhere near a good Scott for quality.
I meant as far as the Bonehill I used to own and the one I was looking at both have the snap on forends. That Bonehill was a tough gun however , someone rechambered it to 10 ga 3.5" magnum . I reckon someone couldn't afford a Ithaca NID magnum so they took a reamer to their old hammergun . I never shot 3.5" shells in it only RST lite loads. The guy I sold it to I explicitly told him not to fire 3.5" shells in it and to order shells from RST if he intended to fire it . Well he shot 3.5" shells in it anyhow . Never blew up but I still thought it was a reckless thing to do . But that Bonehill still held up to abuses it wasn't designed for . I try to be gentle with my guns but when you buy one with 100yrs plus of service there's no telling what previous owners out it through . The Scott 10 gauge with the mirror bores does not have the wall thickness listed .
Unread 07-26-2019, 03:03 PM   #9
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,411 Times in 4,591 Posts

If you want a very nice Scott 10g, I know where there may still be one.
Unread 07-26-2019, 06:40 PM   #10
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Dudley View Post
If you want a very nice Scott 10g, I know where there may still be one.
Well it's not that I'm maker specific I appreciate all old guns especially 10 gauges . I got to shoulder two different 20 gauge hammer guns today when I was searching various gun stores looking for some goex bp.
One was marked Thomas Baker and one was just Baker. From what I could tell they both had 30" damascus barrels . The Baker gun was alot nicer locked up like a brand new sxs . Actually the only 20 ga double I've ever held besides the Purdey that I got to shoot from one of the plantation guests . Just neat little guns but don't think I will abandon my 10 gauges . I was thinking I could save up perhaps 5k later this year but I feel like 2500$ is a more realistic and comfortable price range . The W. & C. Scott 10 ga I am looking at is listed at exactly 2500$ and looks to be in good condition says it has no pitting but light roughness in the bores . I've seen in the past the field grade Westley Richards or would that be a grade 1 ? A&D 10 gauges go for around that price range . Perhaps I could hunt one down . The Parkers I've looked at in that price range in 10 gauge appear to be in rougher shape . I guess they command a higher price because of their collectability . Really all I will be looking for is a good solid 10 ga with 32" barrels . Well not entirely , I like guns or gunmakers who have a rich history as well . Probably the main reason I treasure these vintage doubles . I think the guy from the gun shop YouTube channel said it best. When hunting with a vintage sxs the gun has a soul of its own and makes the experience in the field that much more .