Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

sticking safety
Unread 10-13-2009, 01:30 AM   #1
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Default sticking safety

Never seen this problem with any Parker. Both Triggs and my guns developed very sticky safeties yesterday. Every time I opened and closed the action on my Repro 28, whether I fired it or not, the safety was nearly impossible to push off the first time. Same with Triggs PHE16. The issue continued today. The only factor I could see that could be related was that it was snowy and very wet and the guns were constantly soaked. I had to push the safety off against a tree once. Once freed, they worked just fine. We both missed shots due to this issue. I will have mine apart when I get home to check it out. Anyone have this problem before??
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2009, 08:38 AM   #2
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,888 Times in 533 Posts

While rabbit hunting....freezing rain...guns froze up just like the briges on the hi-ways. Wind and steel will freeze first every time. Try to keep the water out of the action. When the weather is bad..I take my rain gun...Its loose and will freeze last! A good squirt if sillycone will also help. thanks all... Kenny Graft SXS ohio....(-:
Kenny Graft is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2009, 09:38 AM   #3
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanks Kenny. This wasn't a freezing problem; maybe a 'wet' problem, but it wasn't freezing. It does the same thing in a warm hotel room. I'm going to see how it goes when it's had time to dry out thoroughly and I'll have it apart at home for inspection and lubing and to seal up any bare unfinished wood in the inletting. I do that to every Parker but have not done it to this one as of yet.
Unread 10-13-2009, 10:09 AM   #4
Don Kaas
Forum Associate

Member Info

Richard-swollen wood is likely you problem as you suspect. I had the same problem a few weeks ago with my Ithaca NID 10g Mag's Miller trigger not switching barrels properly.. A good dry out fixed it.
Don Kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2009, 11:19 AM   #5
Rod N. Gunn
Forum Associate

Member Info

Rich - I had the same problem with my 20ga Repro on the wet days in MN last week. In fact, I had two problems that only occurred only when the gun was wet 1) the safety got sticky and 2) sometimes the single trigger wouldn't cycle to the second barrel. I think Don has diagnosed my problem, it seems fine now that I'm back in dusty old Oregon. It was great running into you last week, I hope your trip home goes well and your gun starts behaving. - Dave
Dave Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2009, 12:18 PM   #6
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanks guys. We're off for sharptails in Alberta on the way home...
Unread 10-13-2009, 10:39 PM   #7
Joe Bernfeld
Forum Associate

Member Info

My new (to me) 12 ga Repor got a super sticky safety while duck hunting last weekend. When I got home I sprayed a tiny squirt of RemOil around the edges of the safety button and wiped off the excess, hoping to be able to avoid removing the stock. Voila, it now works like butter. I'd try that before I removed the buttstock.
Joe
Joe Bernfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2009, 12:43 AM   #8
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanks Joe. Hopefully it will loosen up. I'll have it apart at any rate so I can seal the wood up so that getting wet won't affect it. It shouldn't get this sticky regardless of how wet it gets. Once apart, I should be able to see the problem and do something about it.
Unread 10-23-2009, 10:49 PM   #9
Dollar Grade
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Flanders View Post
Thanks Joe. Hopefully it will loosen up. I'll have it apart at any rate so I can seal the wood up so that getting wet won't affect it. It shouldn't get this sticky regardless of how wet it gets. Once apart, I should be able to see the problem and do something about it.
How is going Richard ?? I hope to see you sometime next month ?? I assume you are making your Deer season pilgrimage to MI.

I just ran into a sticky saftey issue and it seems to be the automatic safety rod that is too tight in the wood. I am thinking either swelled wood or a wood chip may have lodged itself in there somehow. I thought I may have to pull the rod and drill the hole a fraction larger but it seems to be working better every time I use it.

Kurt
Unread 10-24-2009, 03:47 PM   #10
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I will be in Michigan Nov 15 to Dec 1. I have deer, pheasant and duck hunting plans but have not contacted Rich Anderson on a bird hunt yet. Thanks for the reminder. The sched is filling up. Have a weekend with Destry scheduled and am looking forward to that. Any particular time in that period work for you?? I haven't pulled the stick Repro apart yet; I'll get to that sometime over the winter after I catch up... if that ever happens. I may make the Novi gun show.