Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Cartridge problem
Unread 04-17-2018, 07:56 PM   #1
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,615 Times in 2,667 Posts

Default Cartridge problem

I have a serious question.

A buddy and I were shooting sporting clays, I was out of town and had borrowed his VH 20 . He provided the cartridges, Winchester discount store shells 7/8 at 21/2 dram, ribbed case , steel base.

I shot about three boxes, then right barrel odd noise, odd recoil jump, clear gas exhaust out to the right by my hand. Opened gun, extracted shell normally , checked bore clear, loaded again, pulled trigger and trigger jammed. Looked at right index finger, powder mark across finger directly under outboard edge of right trigger slot, finger not harmed , just black powder mark . Stock cheek on right side split out maybe 1/64. Crack at end of upper frame tong
Didn’t think to go back and try to find cartridge. I’m assuming it was a pierced primer by the symptoms. Dick is sending the gun off to Bachelder . I assume it will need internal wood work, maybe internal pin, and possibly a stock piece may have split off inside. The jammed trigger, I don’t know , the parts are pretty robust but a pivot pin could have bent and jammed or the hammer may have been thrown back and jammed. What ever I thought parts might be needed that I didn’t have and it was best to send it off rather than me trying to fix it.

So,
Is this consistent with a pierced primer?
What is the likely internal damage?
Are the Winchester or other good name cartridges in the low end line not as well quality controlled and more likely to have this happen as opposed to high quality shells like AA’s ?

Finally I guess I’m fortunate that that the escaping hot gas didn’t split my index finger open and leave soot in the wound .
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post: