Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums New User Introductions

Notices

Parker parts
Unread 08-22-2013, 07:56 PM   #1
WyattRoda
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Parker parts

Hello everyone, i am quite new here. i have inherited an old VH grade 20 Parker Vulcan steel shotgun in the beginning of the year. it is missing parts and needs a stock badly. made around 1873-1885,( still uncertain about date) it is in pretty good condition. Barrels are awesome and engravings are good but the butt stock... Well it broke right down the pistol grip around thirty years ago after my great uncle shot it. when he took it apart to clean it, my grandmother threw the parts away. then he gave it to my grandfather to see if he could find parts for it. So i am looking for a trigger plate, trigger mechanisms, cocking slide and trigger guard and of course the butt stock. I been searching ebay and the internet forever trying to finds parts for this old dog here and so far its like searching a needle in a haystack I need information on where i could find parts in easy reach and if anyone has parts that are to this grade and model, i be happy to buy them off of you. The thing is everyone tells me is modern parts would decreases the value. i don't care much of value, only caring that it stays in the family and it goes down to my son someday and to his son and so on. Though I did take it down to a local expert gunsmith, he gave me a site where they would have original parts. parkershotgunrepair.com Could he possibly have parts that are close or exact to the same year of this shotgun? If so are they more expensive than just modern parts today? What my goal is to make this shotgun fireable then just hang it or shoot it rarely.
WyattRoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 08:24 PM   #2
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

You wont find parts without a better discription of your gun. Pictures of what you have would be a good start. they need to be good quality. Take pictures of the barrel flats and water table . Make sure all the markings are clear. At the home page there is a section that anybody can use that will give you the year of manufacture from the serial no. Your are missing a lot of your gun. Cost may be prohibative.
wayne goerres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 08:20 AM   #3
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

From your description of the events it seems that you have a set of 20 gauge Vulcan barrels, condition unknown, and an action with the hammers, top lever and spring, cocking hook, and sear spring. You are missing the buttstock, action screws, cocking slide, trip and spring, trigger plate and triggers, trigger guard and other small parts. Do you have the forend with iron?

In good condition and if your Parker is on a size "0" frame if may be worth $3000. To buy and have fitted all of the missing parts may cost you the better part of that sum. Since Parker parts are numbered to the gun the restored gun will never be a collectors item. It will be what we refer to as a "shooter".

You might find a similar Parker with cut or severely pitted barrels. The two guns may be able to be merged together to return your family gun to shooting condition.

The shop you listed is run by the DelGregos who are old time Parker gunsmiths. They can certainly do the work and may even have new, unfitted parts on hand. If you want your family heirloom restored they can certainly do the work. Be prepared for an estimate near the figure that I pulled out of my ...

You will never make any money on this unless you sell the barrels to someone. Otherwise, pay to have this gun returned to shooting condition. That will be like buying a boat or sports car. You would loose money as soon as you take it from the showroom. But then who really cares if we get pleasure from it!!!

USMC Retired
USMC Distinguished Marksman
USMC Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Benefactor - Ring of Freedom member
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 05:16 PM   #4
WyattRoda
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks guys, i will soon post pictures of this gun on. I been digging and I did a ruff estimate with just parts and unfinished stock, it would be around five hundred bucks and maybe with labor and such, would be around a six maybe seven hundred dollar project. As the gunsmith told me, buy the parts one at a time so the hurt doesn't come all at once. and also yes i do have the for-end stock with its iron and of course the broken stock. I also have actions screws as well. though i do not have the original metal butt plate. it was customized with a rubber butt plate back from around the early 1900's-50's. And one thing i found out that DelGrego is at new york and I'm not really anxious to send my Parker across the us. I live in South Dakota so. Is it possible for him to send parts to me or does he need the entire gun still? and i now found the correct date for this gun. it was made in 1905.

Last edited by WyattRoda; 08-23-2013 at 08:52 PM..
WyattRoda is offline   Reply With Quote