Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 05-29-2020, 12:04 PM   #91
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,225 Times in 12,373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Sheerin View Post

As for the other stuff going on in this thread, I am very new to this forum, but have been a very long time member on some others.... This forum is not unlike any other one I have been on. You have guys who have got to know each other, probably via in person visits, etc... Then, new guys come along and feel they are not part of the "cligue", which is a term I hate.... But in reality, they have just not been around long enough, to build that bond... That's ok, that's how things work. I wouldn't expect to be taken in like a brother 2 weeeks after signing up, that takes time, and getting to know people. No sense in worrying about it.

Joseph, everybody is welcome here. Our goal is to keep everything as friendly as possible and always in a civil manner.

You pretty much nailed it - that a lot of us have met at shoots and auctions and PGCA Annual Meetings and the friendships just grow and grow from there. I was a newcomer once and even though I didn't know a lot about Parkers, or any guns for that matter, I was welcomed by the long-time members and it has been a wonderful learning experience.

Like I said, everybody is welcome here. We all share a common interest and that's what bonds us in friendship. You'll strike up a lot of friendships here if you stick around... and Please Do! You are welcome here!

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2020, 05:03 PM   #92
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,538 Times in 3,105 Posts

Quote:
the rifle was my rifle, made by me, and I used a lock I liked
Joe, Please post a picture. I am a closet front stuffer lover, but never had the courage to try flint.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2020, 09:26 AM   #93
Joe from MO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,121 Times in 422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarspencer View Post
Joe, Please post a picture. I am a closet front stuffer lover, but never had the courage to try flint.
Ok, just don't slam it for not being 100% what would have been a Southern Mountain Rifle. I built a rifle based on that pattern, that I liked...

I call it my Southern Mongrel rifle...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Southern_Mountain_Rifle13.jpg (43.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Southern_Mountain_Rifle1.jpg (127.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Southern_Mountain_Rifle10.jpg (77.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Southern_Mountain_Rifle5.jpg (134.9 KB, 6 views)
Unread 05-30-2020, 11:02 AM   #94
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,538 Times in 3,105 Posts

Don't you just hate rivet counters? ( a term my son used when showing his restored 1943 Willys)

Handsome gun and it looks like you knew what you wanted. First rate quality. What caliber? I would like to find a small bore (36 caliber) Flintlock. I have a Thompson Hawken with .36 and .50 barrels (which I think were made by Green Mountain)
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 05-30-2020, 11:38 AM   #95
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,225 Times in 12,373 Posts

A beautiful rifle! What’s not to like about that?

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 05-30-2020, 12:10 PM   #96
Joe from MO
PGCA Member

Member Info

If you look closely.... The Lock is a siler lock, wich has that pointed end to it. This was common on German Locks.

"True" Southern Mountain rifles, would have used a rounded, English style lock, Ketland, etc.

I was not "patterning" my rifle from a "known" Southern Mountain rifle. Was just wanting a good quality Long Rifle that I liked, so I ordered things I had seen and liked.

It's a 45 cal, This was sort of the build info.... I did have help from a very good friend, who is very experienced with Long Rifles.... A lot of the metal work was done by him, 1. because he knew how to do it, 2. because he had the right tools.

DeHass 45 caliber 42" barrel, Large Siler lock by Jim Chambers, and extra curly maple stock from Pecatonica River. Will be stained with aquafortis, and finished with a hand rubbed tru-oil finish. All metal parts will be browned using Laurel Mountains browning re-agent.

BTW, after I took those pics, I toned down the ramrod, it was still bare hickory when I took those pics.

What's funny is if you look at Track of the Wolfs Southern Mountain rifle build, it has a siler lock as well. I sort of used this as pattern for my riflle. I liked it, so that is sorta what I built.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categ...INT-PARTS-LIST
Unread 05-30-2020, 12:16 PM   #97
Joe from MO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
A beautiful rifle! What’s not to like about that?

I love it, and it will make a nice heirloom for my son.....
Unread 05-30-2020, 05:17 PM   #98
Woodcock survey
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,400 Times in 598 Posts

In 1974 a gun shop had a curly maple blank and a .45 barrel by a renown maker, he had given 10.00 in trade for them so i gave him 10.00 and 2 years later i had a percussion rifle made to my idea of what i wanted. It has sights from a german pellet rifle the butt(steel)from a winchester .22 rifle a Thompson center patch box and the rest came from Dixie.
The gun shop owner offered me 1500.00 for it saying he had many guns made in Canton Mass. but was sure that was going to be the last one
The early makers used what they had and made it to suit themselves just as you and i did

Beautiful job and i wish you many years of enjoyment from it.
Daniel Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2020, 07:16 AM   #99
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,582 Times in 3,082 Posts

Quote:
It seems the days of being able to recognize that you don't agree on something, but can still be friendly has past, and that's a shame.
Those days are still alive and well in some of us, but you won't see it on the news; it doesn't make good copy.

Joseph, don't think that higher grade guns don't get shot. There are many here that are "shooter-collectors."
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2020, 09:39 AM   #100
Joe from MO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon View Post
Those days are still alive and well in some of us, but you won't see it on the news; it doesn't make good copy.

Joseph, don't think that higher grade guns don't get shot. There are many here that are "shooter-collectors."
Oh, I know they get shot... It's just my excuse for not spending the money on one.

I'll be picking up a graded Fox or Parker at some point, maybe some of each... Just have not run across the right gun, for the right price yet. And, yes it will get hunted, and it will get shot a lot. :-)