Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Pandemic and the back burner
Unread 03-31-2020, 01:42 PM   #1
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

Default Pandemic and the back burner

Staying home except for Charlie’s country hikes. Social distancing out there is measured in miles not 6 feet. Thousands of migrating geese overhead continuously. Been occupied with the things we do when we get around to it. Just chuckled looking at the bench. Old shotguns (a Trojan and JABC but it’s family so...). Then there’s the generator from the ‘28 Model A Roadster getting a new set of bearings and a field trim to alleviate a slight drag that nobody ever bothered with but it annoyed me. Next I’ll be cleaning the garage and heaven forbid start helping with housework. Might draw the line there and reorganize hunting gear or just navel gaze. Pretty much Netflixed out. How’s your day going?
Unread 03-31-2020, 04:02 PM   #2
Joe D.
PGCA Member

Member Info

I just watched an encounter between a hen turkey and two young deer in the field next to the house. The deer approached the hen one at a time sniffing and watching the hen to within 2 feet of touching her. She would roll her back feathers side to side which made the young'uns back up a little and then they'd approach her again. She looked like that was her spot of choice for the time....! I do love the springtime.
Joe Dreisch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Joe Dreisch For Your Post:
Unread 03-31-2020, 05:45 PM   #3
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,674 Times in 2,633 Posts

Freedom Seeds are all loaded for my various Freedom Seed Dispensors. Not an empty piece of brass to be found. Working on the shotshells next. Felling tress/skidding logs and getting ready to plant 600+ trees & shrubs and 3 acres of pollinators. Home made pierogis coming up this week too. Oh, and I have two colonies of bees with queens arriving this week. Yeah, we need to get opened up again so I can take it easy!!
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Koneski For Your Post:
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 03-31-2020, 06:34 PM   #4
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

all i have done today was going to put a starter on the lawn mower but stepped outside the wind was blowing hard rather cool maybe 50 degrees so i just stayed inside waiting for a warmer day...i m getting like an old dog just enjoy the sunny days now...did just order me a turkey gun or goose gun...it began life as a richland over and under 10 ga magnum now resleved to 12 ga magnum with 43 i/2 inch barrels weight 12 lbs barrels are plenty thick...will tell more when it arrives..hope you get that model a going i have always loved those cars...char;ie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 03-31-2020, 07:41 PM   #5
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,000 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
all i have done today was going to put a starter on the lawn mower but stepped outside the wind was blowing hard rather cool maybe 50 degrees so i just stayed inside waiting for a warmer day...i m getting like an old dog just enjoy the sunny days now...did just order me a turkey gun or goose gun...it began life as a richland over and under 10 ga magnum now resleved to 12 ga magnum with 43 i/2 inch barrels weight 12 lbs barrels are plenty thick...will tell more when it arrives..hope you get that model a going i have always loved those cars...char;ie
Charlie arent you a little disappointed they are not 45" barrels ?

So far our town has 7 cases of the coronavirus , I'm just waiting on the bank to release a insurance check so I can finally pay for my Parker . They said there is a 10 day hold on all insurance checks . So I have about 7 more days to wait .

Im wondering if the WMA is going to be closed and Turkey season cancelled this year .
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Milton C Starr For Your Post:
Unread 03-31-2020, 07:54 PM   #6
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,040 Times in 12,321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton C Starr View Post
I'm wondering if the WMA is going to be closed and Turkey season cancelled this year.

Why would they close a WMA to hunting? Turkey hunting is usually a solo operation, and we don't need supervision to do it...

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2020, 08:07 PM   #7
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,000 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Why would they close a WMA to hunting? Turkey hunting is usually a solo operation, and we don't need supervision to do it...

Maybe not the WMA directly , I have been seeing the Sheriffs Department threatening people to stay home . Even though its voluntary so thats a bit confusing . They released a statement the other day telling people if they didnt stay home voluntarily they would make them stay home .

Here all the public/county buildings are closed . As well the state park is closed as far as I know so it wouldnt surprise me in the coming weeks if the same happened to the ranger stations .
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Milton C Starr For Your Post:
Unread 03-31-2020, 08:14 PM   #8
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,470 Times in 3,042 Posts

Clearing access trails at the Tree Farm after this past round of TSI. Trying to kill the volunteer black locust that is invading our prairie reestablishment field project (very tedious and back breaking for a guy with a bad back), finally able to burn our stands of warm season grasses, working on an article or two and trying to enjoy my time in the country.

I wish there was a good way to practice social distancing from ticks!! They are really bad this year (and early!).
Garry L Gordon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 03-31-2020, 08:17 PM   #9
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,040 Times in 12,321 Posts

I've spent a lot of time in the last three weeks in my gun room sorting through all the stuff in there I have been neglecting for the past 4 1/2 years.
I have made it a habit to print important email correspondence with folks like Bill Tapply, Austin Hogan, Art Wheaton, Allan Swanson, Charlie Price, Mark Conrad, Dan Harnden, Dave Trevallion, Charlie Herzog, several of the authors of Parker Pages articles and stories... I mean the list just keeps going on and on.... I've been really getting lost in all this stuff and really losing sight of what I first had intended to do. I'm getting lost in the memories as I work on my book and re-read my stories of long-ago times at grouse camp, deer camp, turkey camp - the men who started it all back in the fifties and sixties and who are now all gone, and now I'm the old-timer teaching the young ones by example and through my stories of those days.

I'm getting some things done but not as quickly as I had thought I would - but there is real value in remembering and doing a little day-dreaming, and what the heck, we've got plenty of time now...

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 04-01-2020, 01:33 AM   #10
Patrick Butler
PGCA Member

Member Info

Dean:

Advice from a newbie to the club, write everything down now that you want to pass on to family and close friends.

My grandparents were real players and left nothing to me but some photos and one very early Winchester 12.

After some research, I discovered a lot. Get those thoughts down now. You can not make any new old friends and certainly not any true memories.

Thanks for all you, and so many others, have given to the PGCA over the years.

Patrick Butler
Patrick Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patrick Butler For Your Post: