Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Interesting article on hunting environment in CA
Unread 02-24-2020, 01:13 PM   #1
James Palmer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Interesting article on hunting environment in CA

Thought this was interesting article and pretty in line with what is happening across the country.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/en...240275106.html
James Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to James Palmer For Your Post:
Unread 02-24-2020, 01:31 PM   #2
Michael D Hankinson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Just recently there was an Article in the Grand Rapids MI Press about the declines in Hutting and Fishing revenue and the decrease in hunting across our state. At 76 years old I have seen this and especially in the 20 years of this century. Sad but when I hunt today I rarely see hunters in the woods. Fishing is in a little better shape for now but with constant warnings about eating the fish of certain waters will change that over the years as well.
Michael D Hankinson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Michael D Hankinson For Your Post:
Unread 02-24-2020, 02:33 PM   #3
Timothy Salgado
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks for the link to the article James, I sent the info to my son, who's now living out in Oakland.
Tim
Timothy Salgado is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Timothy Salgado For Your Post:
Unread 02-24-2020, 02:47 PM   #4
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,073 Times in 1,190 Posts

Very well written article
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric Eis For Your Post:
Unread 02-24-2020, 04:07 PM   #5
Garth Gustafson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,344 Times in 371 Posts

Right on. Cost, regulations, urban sprawl and public attitude all contribute to the decline of our sport. Add government mis-management and anti-gun politics to the list.

Here in Illinois, which ranks right up there as one of the Bluest and financially mis-managed states, anyone who wants to possess a gun or purchase ammo is required to have a FOID card (Firearm Owner's ID). The State Police perform the background checks and administer the program. The law requires the State Police to issue the FOID card within 30 days. This was later lengthened to 60 days. In fact, if you are a new applicant you're very lucky if you can get your card in 60 days.

Last year the State Police reported they weren't collecting enough money to manage the FOID program. The democrat-controlled Illinois legislature responded by proposing an increase the initial application fee from $25 to $300-$400 per person! That triggered an uproar and led to an investigation into the funding of the FOID card program and how the money was being spent.

What we discovered was $29,500,000 had been swept from the various State Police funds that were supposed to be used to issue the FOID card and Illinois Conceal Carry licenses. Instead these funds were swept into the notorious “Black Hole” known as the General Fund. This has been going on for years.

As a result of the investigation we now know the need for more funding is completely unnecessary. There was adequate revenue for the program but it was swept away. The money which was FOID card fees and ICCL license fees (this was not tax money) came from the people it was meant to serve but instead, it was tossed down a rat hole. The Illinois State Rifle Assn and the Second Amendment Foundation and other plaintiffs are currently in court to rectify the situation. Just another example of what legal gun owners are up against.
Garth Gustafson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Garth Gustafson For Your Post:
Unread 02-24-2020, 07:17 PM   #6
Gerald McPherson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Garth; That makes me crave green stove wood!!!!
Gerald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gerald McPherson For Your Post:
Unread 02-25-2020, 09:56 AM   #7
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,042 Posts

James, thanks for posting the article. It never ceases to amaze me how little some hunters know of their own history and traditions, and this was a good reminder. Sure, there's the gloss-over statement, "hunters pay for conservation," that gets presented (thankfully) in discussions with non-hunters, but few really know that the "sport" in sport hunting is about following rules (like in any other sport) rather than "playing" and taking the death of animals as a game. Hunters at one time were demeaned in society, and there were actually laws governing their "bad" behavior (which was basically land speculation). I surveyed college students for years and they clearly were ok with hunting for food, but very much opposed to "trophy" hunting. Digging a bit deeper into their opposition to trophy hunting revealed that they really knew little of what it was, most thinking that the animal was killed, the "trophy" -- horns, antlers, etc. -- were taken, and the remainder left to rot in the field. Who wouldn't be opposed to that?!

Maybe it's time to look at our own language of hunting -- sport hunting, blood sports, trophy hunting, for example -- and work to recast these as our societal perception changes. Words do matter.

As we move further and further from the land (figuratively, metaphorically, and in actuality), so much is lost, especially an understanding of the history, traditions...and reality of hunting.

Articles like this help...some...but unfortunately few non-hunters read them.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: