Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Man's Best Friend

Notices

Brothers
Unread 02-27-2019, 07:26 PM   #1
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,196 Times in 891 Posts

Default Brothers

My two boys, brothers, five years apart, Star and Cody
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0182 (002).jpg (358.6 KB, 3 views)
Daniel Webster once said ""Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but in the mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men."
Stephen Hodges is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2019, 07:36 PM   #2
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Steve,
Those dogs are just beautiful. That would be a good picture to frame and hang on your wall. Hope you get many great memories...
Ed Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ed Norman For Your Post:
Unread 02-27-2019, 08:21 PM   #3
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

I am going to do that
Daniel Webster once said ""Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but in the mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men."
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Hodges For Your Post:
Unread 02-27-2019, 08:52 PM   #4
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,603 Times in 1,842 Posts

Beautiful dogs for sure Steve. I like the idea of making a print. It made me think of the Pheasant Fest event this past weekend. If you are a dog lover you should put it on your list. I saw a lot of absolutely gorgeous bird dogs this past weekend. It was worth the trip just for that, not to mention the Parkers.
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Randy G Roberts For Your Post:
Unread 02-27-2019, 09:39 PM   #5
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

One of my best friends is a well known wildlife artist, I have always wanted to own one of his originals. When i sell my glass business, I am going to surprise my wife with a painting of our brittany from him. We are waiting for weather to clear so my buddy can take pictures. Not sure if just a head shot would be best, or the whole body. I didn't think I would like a whole body picture until I looked at your dogs together.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ed Norman For Your Post:
Unread 02-28-2019, 11:37 AM   #6
Kentucky Bird Hunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

From a fellow English Setter owner, that is a gorgeous photo of your pups, Steve. And I think I recall that the younger dog involved a long drive for you and a bit of a rescue, didn't it?

You should be very happy with those two boys! My boy, Beau, is totally gun-broke, whistle-broke, and pretty well on the way to whoa-broke at ten months. He is birdy as all get-out, so I couldn't be happier with my fella. And he's a lap-lover, too, much to the delight of my wife, who is a bit of a dog-whisperer in her own right.....

Dave

-Andrew "Old Hickory" Jackson, America's 7th President
Dave Tatman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dave Tatman For Your Post:
Unread 02-28-2019, 04:27 PM   #7
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Dave, different dog. That dog i rescued was a half sister to these to. We kept her at the house for three months that summer but i had to ship her back to the breeder as she had developed some issues from her mistreatment that i could not deal with. The good news is that after 6 months back with the breeder she overcame them and was placed in a nice home and is a hunting fool now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Hodges For Your Post:
Unread 02-28-2019, 05:38 PM   #8
Kentucky Bird Hunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

A happy ending is always good, especially when it involves Man's Best Friend.....

Thanks, Steve. Hope all is well in New Hampshire!

Dave

-Andrew "Old Hickory" Jackson, America's 7th President
Dave Tatman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Tatman For Your Post:
Unread 02-28-2019, 07:40 PM   #9
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

This was the rescued half sister to my boys. This guy in Mananas, Va had purchased her as a started 12 month old dog. When he got her in early July 2015 he immediately took her with them camping and on the 4th of July had her staked out on a chain when the fireworks started. She was so upset that she choked herself on the chain and passed out. He was discussed with her and said that she was useless and was going to take her to the pound. When i got to his house she was in a crate in the living room and looked as if she had been beaten. He told me she would not come when called and was "too shy" to be a good dog. I got home with her late on a Saturday night. On Sunday morning i took her out in the yard on a leash. I decided to test her training and took her off the leash. She ran forward and i hit the whistle and called her back and she immediately responded to me. I never had her on a lead again. She was extremely shy of any loud noises. Notice that when he got her she was a started dog completely broke to shot. The fireworks had made her extremely shy to any loud noise. She was a true "pocket setter" weighing only 25 Lbs. A very sweet dog. Because my breeder in New Mexico is a very compassionate person she is now a happy hunting dog again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0747 (002).jpg (534.0 KB, 0 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Hodges For Your Post:
Unread 02-28-2019, 08:26 PM   #10
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thank You for saving that dog. Good for you and your family. If there is a heaven for dog owners, you all have a place permanently reserved for you. Thank you again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ed Norman For Your Post: