Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 01-29-2019, 09:46 PM   #11
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,597 Times in 1,550 Posts

A friend gave me a pair of goose breasts from a big lead gander. i cooked them up with my favorite recipe - rare/med rare, and it was so tough you couldn't cut the gravy with a knife. Gonna tenderize the next one with a splitting maul
Unread 01-30-2019, 02:20 AM   #12
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Thank you John! My sentiments exactly. I roasted a nice fat goose last week and could barely cut it with a stiff sharp knife and was afraid the house would never recover from the smell! Most of it ended up on a board on top of a wood pile for the birds, but even the gray jays and the ravens won't touch it! I keep expecting to find a broken off raven beak stuck in it.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Richard Flanders For Your Post:
Unread 01-30-2019, 03:19 AM   #13
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,458 Times in 3,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Christie View Post
One Big Ten is enough right now. I may buy a 6 frame 10 from a fellow trapshooter if he ever wants to get rid of it. I probably wouldn’t shoot it. Have you ever tried to sit up in a layout blind with one of those beasts. Scary.
Is it a hammer or hammerless #6 ?
CraigThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2019, 10:19 AM   #14
Jeff Christie
PGCA Member

Member Info

Hammerless. Nice gun. I've only seen it a few times but I have been promised right of first refusal on it. On tough geese I have had great success with a Jaccard tool and a simple marinade. I don't like to shoot birds I don't eat. I've had a very few that I passed on but a friend of mine's falcons don't care. Good luck next time out.
Jeff Christie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Christie For Your Post:
Unread 01-30-2019, 11:44 AM   #15
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Hammerless. Nice gun. I've only seen it a few times but I have been promised right of first refusal on it. On tough geese I have had great success with a Jaccard tool and a simple marinade. I don't like to shoot birds I don't eat. I've had a very few that I passed on but a friend of mine's falcons don't care. Good luck next time out.
I've got several friends that will take all the geese you can give them . One guy feeds them to his dogs , another grinds them up and makes burger/sausage/jerky from them .

I've cooked a couple breasts kinda slow on the stove sliced thin with teriyaki sauce mushrooms , water chestnuts and bamboo shoots . They were edible but I kinda think its an acquired taste .
Unread 01-30-2019, 06:42 PM   #16
Jeff Christie
PGCA Member

Member Info

I think most of the goose hunters I know out here eat most of the geese they kill. One factor may be what they (the geese) eat. Corn (5$ a bushel on a good day), beans (9-10$), and alfalfa (lots of $$ a big bale). There’s not a lot of golf courses around. Young one are like corn fed beef. Accent on young. Lots of jerky gets made as well. Older birds.
Jeff Christie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Christie For Your Post:
Unread 01-30-2019, 07:35 PM   #17
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,665 Times in 867 Posts

Quote:
I think most of the goose hunters I know out here eat most of the geese they kill. One factor may be what they (the geese) eat. Corn (5$ a bushel on a good day), beans (9-10$), and alfalfa (lots of $$ a big bale). There’s not a lot of golf courses around. Young one are like corn fed beef. Accent on young. Lots of jerky gets made as well. Older birds.
But don't tell people they will pick the corn out of cow manure when the cows are being fed silage. You may not be able to give them away.
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2019, 07:44 PM   #18
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,780 Times in 4,716 Posts

Wait a minute. You said they pick the corn out of the manure. No one said anything about eating the manure. Give us a break. What is the real truth about eating geese? Linda cooks whole geese and they are wonderful, no breasts for us. I've never smelled a hint of manure. By the way, no one ever got cold with a #6 frame ten as a blanket.
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 01-30-2019, 10:34 PM   #19
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
Wait a minute. You said they pick the corn out of the manure. No one said anything about eating the manure. Give us a break. What is the real truth about eating geese? Linda cooks whole geese and they are wonderful, no breasts for us. I've never smelled a hint of manure. By the way, no one ever got cold with a #6 frame ten as a blanket.
I think like anything else it’s an acquired taste . I like mule deer that have been grazing on sage flats , but the locals say it isn’t fit to eat . I suspect if that were the only venison I ever ate and ate it often I might have an aversion to it as well . I have friends that walk by a deer or turkey to eat damn tree rats , I wouldn’t give you two cents for a bucketful of cleaned squirrels . But that most likely comes from eating them when I was young the way my grandmother and great grandmother cooked them .
Unread 01-31-2019, 09:43 AM   #20
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Spring turkeys that have spent the winter pecking corn from the manure piles at dairy farms here in the Northeast don't have a hint of foul flavor. If anything, the corn imparts a nice nutty flavor that wouldn't likely be possible at other times of the year when they eat bitter grasshoppers, ants and other bugs, mice, carrion, etc.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post: