Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Buying ?
Unread 01-06-2019, 12:20 PM   #1
winplumber
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Buying ?

If someone wanted to buy a reproduction what should they not buy or stay away from ? Thanks
Steve Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2019, 12:46 PM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

In my opinion, the 20 gauge Reproductions are uncomfortably heavy for the kind of upland hunting I do. They're fine for skeet and SC but not for several hours of brush-busting.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 01-06-2019, 01:18 PM   #3
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,636 Times in 634 Posts

I agree with Dean. I once owned a 20/16 two barrel set. With the 28”, 16 barrels the gun was well balanced and handled well but with the 26”, 20 ga barrels it was a completely different firearm and had none of the magic of an original 20ga Parker of any grade.
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jay Gardner For Your Post:
Unread 01-06-2019, 02:26 PM   #4
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,233 Times in 1,200 Posts

Respectfully I disagree on the 20/26" or the 20/28" for that matter. I've fired a two barrel set owned by a friend quite a bit both on SC courses and a few outings for grouse. I can shoot either one very well, as compared with sub-6 pound guns that tend to swing like a buggy whip and are hard to control on a fast target or bird. Weight too heavy by a 1/2 pound or so? Time to pump iron, split some wood or something similar. Again these are personal opinions.
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2019, 02:45 PM   #5
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Srebro View Post
Respectfully I disagree on the 20/26" or the 20/28" for that matter. I've fired a two barrel set owned by a friend quite a bit both on SC courses and a few outings for grouse. I can shoot either one very well, as compared with sub-6 pound guns that tend to swing like a buggy whip and are hard to control on a fast target or bird. Weight too heavy by a 1/2 pound or so? Time to pump iron, split some wood or something similar. Again these are personal opinions.
I split and stack a lot of firewood so my upper body strength is fine. We all have different preferences in guns and enjoy them in different shooting and hunting activities. Some guys shoot a lot of trap, SC, hunt waterfowl from a blind or some sort of boat... but I don't. But I know the kind of gun I'm comfortable with and the balance and feel of the kind of gun I like to hunt grouse and woodcock with and I wouldn't choose a 20 gauge Reproduction. In fact, I'd probably choose a light twelve or a 0-frame 16 over one. And I know a 28 gauge in either a Reproduction or my VHE or my Damascus 20 gauge DH aren't whippy at all for the kind of shooting and hunting I do. But this is just my opinion... YMMV

But everybody's different and what's good for one man may not be good for another. That's why there are sooo many side-by-side shotguns to choose from.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 01-06-2019, 03:18 PM   #6
Ken Hill
PGCA Member

Member Info

Steve,

How do you intend to use the repro? Today's shooters avoid shorter barrels so you may want to pass on 26" barrels. Also, I'm not a fan of single triggers on a side-by-side however, I don't wear heavy gloves for hunting.

Ken
Ken Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ken Hill For Your Post:
Unread 01-06-2019, 04:00 PM   #7
winplumber
PGCA Member

Member Info

I like to shoot about anything with my sxs and I shoot more 12 gauge then any . How about the single trigger vs double I would think single would have more troubles . Im what you call a basic field grade guy . Not much bird hunting around here but goose so Im leaning towards the 12 gauge . Thanks for everyones input so far .
Steve Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2019, 05:54 PM   #8
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,099 Times in 673 Posts

My go to grouse gun is a 20 repro at 6.75#. It moves like lightning and smooth as silk. Yes, I'm an old duffer but can easily carry it all day. I've had all sorts of light guns when I thought light was the answer. Not for me. To each his own though.
Gary Laudermilch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gary Laudermilch For Your Post:
Unread 01-06-2019, 06:43 PM   #9
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,411 Times in 4,591 Posts

I personally added some weight to the butt of my 20g repro. As I felt it was too light.

Some things to watch for...

The stock dimensions are on the high side with the repros. Just make sure you like them that way.

Pay very close attention to grain layout in the wrist on the stock. A number of them had very poor layout and that combined with soft wood meant easy breakage.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 01-06-2019, 07:38 PM   #10
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,888 Times in 533 Posts

First let me say...All Parker Reproductions are good guns in general. The price will reflect availability, use and demand. Just check the auctions and keep track of what is always available, they will have the lower asking prices. You must first narrow your wish list then I could give you a better answer. A waterfowl hunter may want a 12 gauge steel shot special, they were limited production made to shoot steel shot and had 3" chambers. Can be hard to find and demand a premium. SXS Ohio
Kenny Graft is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kenny Graft For Your Post: