Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Paper, Memorabilia and Books

Notices

Parker Loading Tools
Unread 02-11-2015, 08:53 PM   #1
Bryan Bender
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Parker Loading Tools

Hi, new to the forum, haven't posted here before even though I'm a member and have read the forum for a couple of years. What a wonderful resource and all the pictures of the Parker guns and a wealth of information from all the researchers here. I like 8 gauge guns, cartridges and loading tools and have a couple of 8 ga. guns that I shoot but no Parker 8. I regret passing on a couple of Parkers several years ago because they were "overpriced". They are at least 3 times the price today and it hasn't been that long ago.

I also collect antique loading tools and thought I would post a few pictures of some Parker tools that I acquired recently. "PARKER BROS. ' on bottom, nickel and cocobolo combination shot and powder measure. Slotted shot measure on one side, opposite is powder scale. Shot is 1oz. to 1 7/8 oz., 2 1/2 drams to 5 drams powder. Rammer style handle, 12 ga. size.

I assume these were produced by Bridgeport Gun Implement Co. as they are clones of early BGICO production from the late 1870s and early 1880s. Also, did Parker sell different size rammer handles (10-12-16) and were there varying sizes of powder and shot measures? BGICO offered powder measures with capacity of up to 8 drams of powder for loading 8 ga. cartridges. How many different examples of marked loading tools have been noted by collectors?
bryan Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bryan Bender For Your Post:
Unread 02-11-2015, 10:55 PM   #2
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

very nice..i too like 8 ga guns and anything to do with them...would love to see the 8 dram powder measure ...this would be rough on the shoulder if loaded to 8 drams..charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2015, 01:02 AM   #3
Bryan Bender
PGCA Member

Member Info

Charlie, I don't have an 8 dram powder measure even though I have searched for one for years. I assume Bridgeport Gun Implement Co. manufactured these items for Parker as they are exact copies of contemporary mfg. by BGICO. I have an extensive collection of 8 gauge cartridges. The heaviest factory loads I have encountered are 7 drams - 2 1/4 oz, black powder for U.S. ammo companies British 8 ga. loads were as heavy as 8 drams and 3 oz. of shot. Such a loading was probably impossible to pack into a 3 1/4" case. But the British chambered the 8 ga. in lengths up to 4 1/4", thus much more space for the bulk of 8 drams of powder and necessary wadding. I have a book on 8 ga. reloading by Mc Dougall in which he lists smokeless loads of 3oz.

bryan
Unread 02-12-2015, 08:10 PM   #4
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

i have seen a gun listed on a british auction site that had 4 1/4 inch chambers...i have a fa loomis 8 ga that has 4 inch chambers....i have shot a few loads of 3 ounce shells myself in 8 ga..i too have a few old shells in 8 ga ..really enjoy shell collecting and things pertaining to the 8 ga.and thanks for posting the parker stuff hope you find the 8 ga loading tool....8 drams of black..wow
Unread 02-13-2015, 03:14 AM   #5
Bryan Bender
PGCA Member

Member Info

Charlie, I sent you a PM
bryan
Unread 02-13-2015, 10:31 AM   #6
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,786 Times in 4,718 Posts

My Greener Royal eight is nitro proved for 3 3/4" shells and 2 1/2 ounces. I think I can get 3 ounces in there.

'
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2015, 09:04 PM   #7
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

bill you could get more than 3 ounces in there easally shooting smokeless powder with the load....bryan i got the pm.i answered back....charlie