Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Paper, Memorabilia and Books

Notices

Unread 09-09-2014, 06:32 PM   #21
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,191 Times in 12,368 Posts

Oops... Sorry Edgar, I didn't know you were watching
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2014, 04:04 PM   #22
Bill Zachow
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Dean, no I am realy jealous!
Bill Zachow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2014, 12:08 PM   #23
walt brown
PGCA Member

Member Info

there was a nice article on the little gun in The Double Gun Journal a couple of years back
walt brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2016, 03:54 PM   #24
King Cobb
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,521 Times in 405 Posts

Dean,

Wanted to let you know I had stumbled across a first edition library copy at a nice price that they are sending to me. Took me 2 years, but we shall see what I got. It is more than $35 but less than $100 and in "good" shape. We shall see what I found.
Unread 08-12-2016, 02:56 PM   #25
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Bill, if it still has its original green dust jacket (hopefully in a glassine wrapper) in good condition you did very well indeed.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Unread 08-12-2016, 03:38 PM   #26
King Cobb
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thats what I am hoping for. They assured me it wasn't the memorial addition made in the 80s so we shall see.
Unread 08-13-2016, 08:39 AM   #27
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

King you might not have Grouse but from what I'm hearing the Quail numbers are up this year in TX. As much as I love Grouse hunting there is no bust on Mr. Bob White. If you ever want to give Grouse hunting a try your welcome to join me in Michigan's Upper peninsula for some excellent bird hunting.

For all you guys that use a hammer gun to hunt with my hats off to you. I tried it by myself on a preserve Pheasant hunt and found it very frustrating. The shells fell out of the open gun (I even tried biting them so they were somewhat out of round. I think I read that trick here). Cocking the hammers on the rise wasn't possible and finally cocked them when the dog went on point. The problem with that was the birds would run then Im going after a it with a cocked gun I'll leave my hammer guns to the clays course
Unread 08-13-2016, 08:47 AM   #28
King Cobb
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Yeah we are having a quail resurgence like you wouldn't believe thanks to the rain. I am doing a study in our county that is tracking quail numbers and we are getting great results.

There is actually a hunting place about 10 minutes from here that for $400 you can hunt pen raised pheasant. Either out in the pasture or some other way that is station based. I haven't ponied up for that bit of fun yet. We had a lot of feast in north texas and the pan handle at one time but not so much anymore.
Unread 08-13-2016, 09:08 AM   #29
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Anderson View Post
For all you guys that use a hammer gun to hunt with my hats off to you. I tried it by myself on a preserve Pheasant hunt and found it very frustrating. The shells fell out of the open gun (I even tried biting them so they were somewhat out of round. I think I read that trick here). Cocking the hammers on the rise wasn't possible and finally cocked them when the dog went on point. The problem with that was the birds would run then Im going after a it with a cocked gun I'll leave my hammer guns to the clays course

Practice makes perfect COB.

If you want to be good at something you have to dedicate yourself to mastering it.
A friend and I spent hours upon hours tying flies for our two-week trip to Alaska. When we had finished we each had about 200 flies of various Alaskan patterns. When my friend was telling me his list of equipment he was bringing he had included only one fly rod and reel but was bringing two spinning outfits.
I suggested to him that if he ever wanted to become really good at fly fishing he should dedicate himself to mastering it and the best way to start was to bring another fly rod, reel and additional spools and leave all the spinning stuff at home. He took my advice and by the second day was doing extremely well catching chinooks, rainbows, dolly vardens, and grayling and actually thanked me for pushing him that little bit extra.

I enjoy hunting grouse and woodcock with my hammer guns. And I know I can hunt with a hammerless whenever I want to, but I wanted to get good at it so I dedicated myself to it.

Your results may differ.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 08-13-2016, 09:52 AM   #30
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,152 Times in 3,258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Practice makes perfect COB.

and practicing is, in its self rewarding