Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

The Fat of the Season
Unread 11-13-2019, 06:39 PM   #1
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,469 Times in 3,042 Posts

Default The Fat of the Season

The November weeks before the firearm deer season in Missouri can be some of the richest of the year. The rut is gearing up and sitting in a tree stand or on the ground can be an entertaining endeavor as bucks begin searching out does and chasing them before they come into estrus. Woodcock will often be found in the brushy low spots as they head South, and the duck season opens the first weekend of the month. For those of us who love hunting wild quail and pheasants, these first days of the season are days to probe for new coveys, check to be sure those perennial coveys are still in good shape, and explore a new farm or two before the gun hunters shut things down and we have to head to Iowa. If the weather is cool, these days before deer season can be the "fat" of the season.

Every season is different. Usually it is too warm for hunters and dogs to beat the thick early season cover. Not so this year as we have had record cold temperatures. We'll miss out on early duck hunting because of frozen water, and the flight woodcock are not to be found, but the several outings we've had, between sits in the tree waiting for the big one to wander by, have been productive.

We have found a covey or two on each of our several short outings so far this season in our local North Missouri haunts. With Cedar still out of action from her cancer surgery, Alder and the puppy, Aspen, are getting plenty of time. I wish Aspen could be braced again with Cedar, but his outings alone are also good for his development.

I started the season with my new "go-to" bird gun, a 30 inch DHE 20 that fits me like a well broken in pair of boots. I also christened a DHE 28 gauge that has high dimensions and shoots where I look. It's going to be hard to decide which gun to use -- a great problem to have.

Key to photos:

1. The little 00 framed 28 is stocked high and I've discovered it shoots where I look. It will be hard to choose between this little gun and my trusty DHE 20.
2. The first bird of the season: a wild Missouri Bob taken from a large covey on a 40 acre plot of ground no one bird hunts but us. The DHE 20 makes me a better shot than I am with its 30 inch tubes that keep swinging even when I have poor shooting form.
3. After lots of rain this past summer, the cover is great, and the birds seem to be willing to hold in the early season...which will surely not be the case in several weeks. This point by Alder was on a nice sized covey of young Missouri birds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6493.jpg (522.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_2652.jpeg (413.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_2664.jpeg (330.5 KB, 4 views)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2019, 06:59 PM   #2
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,436 Times in 1,366 Posts

Great stuff! Is the 28 a recent addition? Sure looks like a nice one!! Nice problem to have. Enjoy your hunts!
Unread 11-13-2019, 07:07 PM   #3
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Bishop View Post
Great stuff! Is the 28 a recent addition? Sure looks like a nice one!! Nice problem to have. Enjoy your hunts!
Thanks, Reggie. I've had the 28 for a while, but have only just brought it out to shoot this season. I almost wish I hadn't as I feel disloyal to the DHE 20 if I don't carry it.
Unread 11-13-2019, 07:09 PM   #4
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,040 Times in 12,321 Posts

That's a sweet little 28 Garry!

It's a mite colder on this Nov. opener in Vermont than any opener I can remember but I'll survive just fine - I've sat out there when it was -12 several years ago and took a fine young buck. I'll be sitting on the ground in the starlight with the mercury at 0 or a couple of degrees below... waiting for shooting light. I've had a trail camera overlooking my 'hot spot' for almost two weeks. I'll get there on Friday afternoon and pull the SD card and slip a new one in its place. Back at camp I'll see what I have captured... I'll share the best pics here.

Incidentally, if you just can't bring yourself to be disloyal to the 20, just send the 28 this way. I can provide a loving, caring home for it.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2019, 07:17 PM   #5
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,040 Times in 12,321 Posts

P.S., I really like the nose of the comb on your 28 - it's just like the nose on my VHE 28 No. 211216

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2279.jpg (498.8 KB, 2 views)

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 11-13-2019, 07:21 PM   #6
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
That's a sweet little 28 Garry!

It's a mite colder on this Nov. opener in Vermont than any opener I can remember but I'll survive just fine - I've sat out there when it was -12 several years ago and took a fine young buck. I'll be sitting on the ground in the starlight with the mercury at 0 or a couple of degrees below... waiting for shooting light. I've had a trail camera overlooking my 'hot spot' for almost two weeks. I'll get there on Friday afternoon and pull the SD card and slip a new one in its place. Back at camp I'll see what I have captured... I'll share the best pics here.

Incidentally, if you just can't bring yourself to be disloyal to the 20, just send the 28 this way. I can provide a loving, caring home for it.
Dean, your deer set-up sounds idyllic and I wish you an enjoyable sit (whether you get the "big one" of not). Retired life is pretty sweet, eh? The simple pleasures close to home are worth more than any amount of money. I'm looking forward to your pictures from the trail camera -- and your hunt.

As for the 28, I'm sure you would shoot it better than I and it might like you better. It's like when the dog gives you a dirty look when you miss an easy shot over one of their nice points. Fortunately, my dogs...and my guns...have learned to tolerate my shooting.
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 11-13-2019, 07:48 PM   #7
Woodcock survey
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,386 Times in 594 Posts

Garry it occured to me that it is the dogs and people we are with not the bag that really matters. I thought of that while taking a late afternoon break on a stump in Maine. I had spent the day with my sons and granddaughter hunting grouse and woodcock. We had a few birds and a lot more empty shells but also a perfect October day and each others company. The dogs are not critical, we just think they are.
Daniel Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Carter For Your Post:
Unread 11-13-2019, 08:01 PM   #8
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Carter View Post
Garry it occured to me that it is the dogs and people we are with not the bag that really matters. I thought of that while taking a late afternoon break on a stump in Maine. I had spent the day with my sons and granddaughter hunting grouse and woodcock. We had a few birds and a lot more empty shells but also a perfect October day and each others company. The dogs are not critical, we just think they are.
Daniel, I could not imagine it said any better. To be out, regardless of the bag, is what makes for memories. Those late afternoon breaks can be the times we see things most clearly. (BTW, you are so right about the dogs. They just like going with us, and never a grudge was held by a bird dog of mine.)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 11-13-2019, 08:04 PM   #9
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
P.S., I really like the nose of the comb on your 28 - it's just like the nose on my VHE 28 No. 211216

Coincidentally, mine is in the 200XXX range. Not my favorite engraving years, but the guns are well made and balanced as per the Parker magic formula.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 11-13-2019, 09:04 PM   #10
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Garry,
Thanks for sharing the nice pictures and story. I have such great memories as a young man growing up hunting. I remember my mom saying I would never get a girlfriend, he likes the woods to much Now I am getting those memories again, its much more relaxing this year because I am getting more used to having a hunting dog. Next in line is grandkids, I can't wait.
Ed Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ed Norman For Your Post: