Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 11-04-2019, 04:10 PM   #21
Kingston Wulff
PGCA Member

Member Info

I've read your accounts of wild bird population drops. In Nevada, these numbers seem to be off considerably as well. So what does Nevada have that could relate to New York or New Jersey? Climate change?
I drove into my favorite mtn. range and spooked up a Golden Eagle along with several Ravens. I came back the next morning and was met by the same Golden Eagle and murder of Ravens as before. Only this time the Golden flew at windshield level out in front of my truck. (The wing span was incredible). As if to say, " Come along I'll show you where they are."
This Mtn. range is listed this year as a Zero count for Chukar birds by the Nevada Dept. of Wildlife (NDOW). This is a mtn. range that I have hunted for over 25 years and in 1999 my partner and I collected 25 birds legally between four species in one weekend.
Now, you can barley find a flush. I took the chance that no one would hunt this area because of the Chukar report. And I was right; I know where the birds will be if only just a few. I only got two birds, but I did flush three coveys within range.
Something has changed; or maybe a lot of things have changed. Too little water, too little
water too late, too much hunting pressure, too many natural predators, climate change with warmer temps., loss of proper habitat; or all of the above.

Well done is better than well said.
Ben Franklin
Kingston Wulff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kingston Wulff For Your Post:
Unread 11-04-2019, 04:23 PM   #22
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,455 Times in 1,368 Posts

Years ago when wild quail were found in strong numbers here in the South, I always said "hard hunters and good dogs will always find birds." I hunted hard with good dogs until about 2003. At that point I decided either I couldn't hunt hard anymore or there weren't any good bird dogs because it was very difficult to find a covey of birds. When I read these negative reports of other upland hunters, hunting various species of upland birds, it saddens me. Hunting clay birds just isn't the same.
Partridge in Maine
Unread 11-04-2019, 04:58 PM   #23
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,518 Times in 3,098 Posts

Default Partridge in Maine

I can now safely report, after many miles of walking, he is still here. I know this because I flushed him this afternoon.
Yes, Reggie, it saddens me also. Growing old doesn’t, nor do the various and many failing body parts. What saddens me is no longer getting the heart skip of the King. I was so thrilled by his rush, I think I’d just watch him above my bead, and thank him.
edgarspencer is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post: