Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Report from Northern Minnesota
Unread 10-30-2019, 09:11 AM   #1
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,471 Times in 3,042 Posts

Default Report from Northern Minnesota

We are winding down our annual Minnesota trip, which we moved to a later than normal date to accommodate hospital trips and treatments for our two dogs with cancer. For the beginning of our trip I mostly hunted alone because Elaine needed to stay with Peat whose health took an abrupt downturn upon our arrival. We talked long and hard about whether we should go on this trip or not, but in the end wanted to have one more trip for Peat and Cedar as part of our family. I am saddened to report that Peat died on this trip, and we are heartbroken. He loved to ride with us, even though he knew his hunting days were over. He died in route to the vet in Bemidji where we had made arrangements to have him put to sleep as he was beginning to suffer. I'm glad to have made the trip with him. He was happy until the end. I can only wish to have a small portion of the courage he displayed during his life.

As for our trip, we have encountered every form of weather -- warm, frigid, near-hurricane force winds, sleet, snow, rain (blowing sideways!). Bird numbers seem good, but we are hunting our two healthy Gordons, a 7 year old, who is a bit too hard going for the grouse woods (but excels on the prairie), and our still puppy-like two year old who has gotten most of the hunting time. (Cedar, our best grouse dog, is still recovering from surgery that removed part of her upper jaw and hard palette to thwart melanoma, seems to be recovering OK and may get to hunt before the quail season is over.) The birds we have found so far have come in large "doses" -- 12 flushes in a half hour, for example -- followed by nearly birdless passages of time. I've not calculated my flush rate yet, but I'm guessing that it will end up near 4 birds per hour.

As I mentioned, this was the latest we have hunted here in the 32 years we've been coming. There are less people this week, and it's made the birds less jumpy. We will leave on Saturday to head back to Missouri where the quail season will be open. It will not be the same without Peat to ride shotgun.

My go-to grouse gun for over 30 years, a Dickson 28 gauge, has taken a back seat this year in favor of my "new" Parker DH 16 that I shoot really well (at least for me). This gun, a 1904 vintage piece, is all original and has beautiful 26 inch Damascus barrels, a straight hand stock, and two triggers. It's a bit on the heavier side, but, gosh(!), it shoots where I point.

Key to photos:
1. Although we arrived later than has been our tradition, there were still splashes of color to brighten the coverts...
2. ...and Leopold's smokey gold tamaracks were still glorious.
3. The scattered virgin pines that somehow missed the loggers saw, like this one, have become like old acquaintances in our coverts. We've been hunting by this monarch for over 30 years...a tiny fraction of its long life.
4. Not all points have the "happy ending" we desire...
5. ...but, this one did, much to the approval of Alder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 59301335756__51DF3E73-6805-48EB-AF20-572427F3A96F.jpg (527.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6439.jpg (577.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2425.jpg (530.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2537.jpg (551.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2540.jpg (554.5 KB, 5 views)
Garry L Gordon is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2019, 09:23 AM   #2
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,436 Times in 1,366 Posts

Thank you for posting your reports from the uplands! As always, a very enjoyable read and photo display. So sorry for the loss of your companion in the field and at home!
Unread 10-30-2019, 10:01 AM   #3
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,085 Times in 2,380 Posts

Thanks for sharing Garry. I'm very sorry to hear of Peat's passing. That trip to the vet's office is never easy. Seems like Peat went out on his own terms. We all could use some of that courage in our lives.
Unread 10-30-2019, 10:24 AM   #4
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,599 Times in 1,016 Posts

Garry, I feel your pain. Like Peat, my aged Labrador girl died three years ago this month on the way out to SD for what was to be her last great adventure in the big wide open. We overnighted in Chicago on the way out, and as I loaded her up into her crate before daylight the next morning to begin the second half of our journey, she died right in my arms. Her chasing giant roosters running the corn rows and watching ducks coming into decoys fill my reverie every time I think of it.
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kevin McCormack For Your Post:
Unread 10-30-2019, 10:36 AM   #5
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Twenty-two degrees this morning; snow flurries. We are the only people at the cabins except for a group of duck hunters. I was hearing duck guns boom every morning on the Big Fork River which runs nearby, but nothing lately. This has been a banner year for seeing swans. This year was also marked by more water...everywhere. For the first time ever, I did not bring high rubber boots -- go figure! Today we'll ride to Bemidji and pick up Peat's ashes for the trip home. He loved riding in the hunting truck.

Some more pictures from our stay so far:

1. A nice retrieve by Aspen. He's a natural retriever, the only Gordon we've had that would retrieve to hand without force breaking.
2. My 1904 Parker 16 that is now my new go-to grouse gun...at least until...
3. A relatively new cut, a bit too young to hold birds. Notice the mezza luna in that clear blue Minnesota sky. I love all days afield, but weather days like this are extra special.
4. A screen shot of Alder's track working a trail. She averages between 8 and 10 mph and generally goes nearly 4 times the mileage we walk. If there are grouse along a trail, she will find them, and when she points them, it's quite spectacular. It's hard to keep her close, though.
5. Cedar is taking her plight better than I expected. She has had to go back two times to correct the original surgery. She has completed her human DNA vaccine and will go in for another check-up after we return to Missouri next week. We have no idea if she will be with us on next year's Minnesota trip, but are glad to have her happy and with us now. I guess, for that matter, none of us knows what the next season will bring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2503.jpg (543.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2543.jpg (550.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2444 2.jpg (522.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6443.jpg (515.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2494.jpg (555.4 KB, 2 views)
Unread 10-30-2019, 10:39 AM   #6
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin McCormack View Post
Garry, I feel your pain. Like Peat, my aged Labrador girl died three years ago this month on the way out to SD for what was to be her last great adventure in the big wide open. We overnighted in Chicago on the way out, and as I loaded her up into her crate before daylight the next morning to begin the second half of our journey, she died right in my arms. Her chasing giant roosters running the corn rows and watching ducks coming into decoys fill my reverie every time I think of it.
Kevin, I'm not sure there are good ways for a beloved dog to die, but being with them in their last moments has been important to me. I think your pup knew your hands were on her.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 10-30-2019, 10:45 AM   #7
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Corona View Post
Thanks for sharing Garry. I'm very sorry to hear of Peat's passing. That trip to the vet's office is never easy. Seems like Peat went out on his own terms. We all could use some of that courage in our lives.
Thanks, Daryl. Peat lost his foot in a freak accident (his mother bit it off while cleaning him at birth). Even so, he never missed a beat and one season, after another of our dogs died unexpectedly, he was my only working hunting dog (we had a very young pup at the time that was too young to hunt). He went hard all that season, and I had to pull him out of ditches sometimes because he could not make it on his own. He faced everything the same way, with a wagging tail and a brave spirit. He was the smartest dog we've ever been owned by, and taught me many things for which I will be eternally grateful.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 10-30-2019, 10:51 AM   #8
Timothy Salgado
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks for the reports, I'm sorry for your loss of Peat, and pray Cedar makes a good recovery.
Take Care
Tim
Timothy Salgado is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Timothy Salgado For Your Post:
Unread 10-30-2019, 10:52 AM   #9
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,436 Times in 1,366 Posts

I also own a 1904 Parker 20 ga w/Damascus barrels. I think that it was a good year !
Unread 10-30-2019, 11:36 AM   #10
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Bishop View Post
I also own a 1904 Parker 20 ga w/Damascus barrels. I think that it was a good year !
Reggie, I really like the 1904 engraving. I also have a CHE 16 with Bernard barrels from the same year. You are right about it being a good year (at least in my probably not humble enough estimation).