Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Grouse Hunting the U.P. of Michigan
Unread 10-21-2019, 10:10 PM   #1
James Whittington
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Grouse Hunting the U.P. of Michigan

My wife and I had a great hunt last week in the U.P. of Michigan.Parker VH 16 on an O frame still getting it done after 113 years.
Glenn
james whittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2019, 07:28 PM   #2
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

James,
Thank you for posting these great pictures, my wife is showing more and more interest in hunting. She walks often with me when I hunt, my buddy has offered to loan a 20 gauge semi auto. I was going to put a single shell in it and see how she handles tin cans, then clay pigeons. I will show her these pictures, thanks again for posting them.
Ed Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ed Norman For Your Post:
Unread 10-29-2019, 08:22 PM   #3
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,307 Times in 4,412 Posts

Wonderful! My wife and I love hunting together too
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 10-30-2019, 05:54 AM   #4
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,074 Times in 1,190 Posts

What part of the U.P were you hunting. Rich Anderson (COB) just returned from the Western end of the UP he's been up there for over a month! He left yesterday and said there was two inches of snow.
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Eis For Your Post:
Unread 10-30-2019, 07:51 AM   #5
James Whittington
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Eis View Post
What part of the U.P were you hunting. Rich Anderson (COB) just returned from the Western end of the UP he's been up there for over a month! He left yesterday and said there was two inches of snow.
We were hunting around Crystal Falls,snowed on us the first couple of days off and on with temps holding in the 30's but no accumulation.Grouse flushes were up from last year for us,but good shots were hard to get alot of the birds were holding around spruce,but we still managed to scratch some down every day.We flushed grouse in every cover we hunted except one this week.This was the first grouse hunt for my wife,and was an eye opening experience for her,she thought it would be more open like quail hunting.We saw deer and turkey daily and a couple of eagles.The leaves were beautiful when we arrived but many came down as the week progressed to make for better shooting.I got some good dog work out of my old dogs,and put a new 9 month old pup down a couple of times and got her some grouse contacts,I would of hunted her more but I lost her one time and had to run her down more than a mile away,thank goodness for the Garmin Alpha tracking collar.We did not find many Woodcock,this was my only disappointment as I was hoping to work the young dog on them.The wife has told everybody about her "adventure" and is already talking about the trip next year,all is good.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to james whittington For Your Post:
Unread 10-30-2019, 09:43 AM   #6
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,042 Times in 12,322 Posts

It sounds like a really wonderful experience for you both. A new tradition for you for sure.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 10-30-2019, 11:42 AM   #7
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,471 Times in 3,042 Posts

Glad you found your pup! Think about before we had those tracking collars.

Enjoyed your post and, especially, the pictures.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 10-30-2019, 12:45 PM   #8
James Whittington
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon View Post
Glad you found your pup! Think about before we had those tracking collars.

Enjoyed your post and, especially, the pictures.
Yes the tracking collar is nice,without it I would have been riding the roads looking,and hard to tell how long it would take to find her,maybe never.My name is on the collar and people are good to call,but I would not want her to have to stay out for the night with the wolves in the area.She is a good pup and will learn,it was windy that day and I think she got confused and was just running.Here is a picture of her,the week before we left.

Last edited by james whittington; 10-30-2019 at 12:57 PM.. Reason: added pictures
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to james whittington For Your Post:
Unread 10-30-2019, 01:59 PM   #9
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,074 Times in 1,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by james whittington View Post
We were hunting around Crystal Falls,snowed on us the first couple of days off and on with temps holding in the 30's but no accumulation.Grouse flushes were up from last year for us,but good shots were hard to get alot of the birds were holding around spruce,but we still managed to scratch some down every day.We flushed grouse in every cover we hunted except one this week.This was the first grouse hunt for my wife,and was an eye opening experience for her,she thought it would be more open like quail hunting.We saw deer and turkey daily and a couple of eagles.The leaves were beautiful when we arrived but many came down as the week progressed to make for better shooting.I got some good dog work out of my old dogs,and put a new 9 month old pup down a couple of times and got her some grouse contacts,I would of hunted her more but I lost her one time and had to run her down more than a mile away,thank goodness for the Garmin Alpha tracking collar.We did not find many Woodcock,this was my only disappointment as I was hoping to work the young dog on them.The wife has told everybody about her "adventure" and is already talking about the trip next year,all is good.
Too bad you didn't post before you left, as you were right around the corner from Rich Anderson he is in Channing, and he's been up there for over a month, he also hunts GSP's
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Eis For Your Post:
Unread 10-31-2019, 08:08 AM   #10
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Last year I lost Ike when he was only a year old in Amasa for several hours. It was the perfect storm of failures, the battery in the Dogtra E collar went dead, my hearing aid batteries went dead and the wind was blowing and it was snowing sideways. Ike is predominately white in coloring. To say it was a gut wrenching experience is an understatement. My mother in law was dying at the time and I pictured the call from home "Moms fading fast/mom died etc and you need to come home". My reply would have been "I can't I lost Ike". This year I had a GPS collar.
Driving a two track on a rainy day I found and English setter walking looking tired and disheveled. I stopped and she came right up to me like I was her long lost friend. She had a collar and a phone number but when I called the number was disconnected. I stopped at the nearby resort of Silver Lake and asked if anyone had reported a lost dog. I got a no then a yeas. I was given two numbers. The owner had lost her the night before and by the time he reached me he ad already headed to southern Michigan where he lived!!! He was 5 hours south of me. Someone did come later in the day for the dog.