Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums New User Introductions

Notices

New member from West Central Florida
Unread 10-06-2019, 01:30 PM   #1
Diesel Doctor
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default New member from West Central Florida

Hi everyone. John Black here. I'm 72 years old, ex-hunter and a active shooter for many years. I inherited my grandfather's Parker Brothers double barrel 12ga shotgun many years ago. Not really knowing what I had, it's been sitting in a closet all this time. I stumbled onto this group by accident just yesterday and it appeared to be something I would like to be part of. The shotgun, to the best of my knowledge, was purchased new by my grandfather around 1895. My grandfather, Rainer Black was a avid bird hunter and this was his favorite quail gun. I've never done any research on this gun, but I hope to find out whatever I can.

John Black
John Black is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to John Black For Your Post:
Visit John Black's homepage!
Unread 10-06-2019, 03:25 PM   #2
John Knobelsdorf II
PGCA Member

Member Info

John: Congratulations on having a family gun. Also, for finding this board. Members are exemplary in their courtesy and generosity.

What works to get information is: the most detailed description of details you see (if more is needed, then more will be asked for) AND (I cannot emphasis this enough) pictures of as many details as you can.

Pictures are relatively easy to post, and you can refer to two (2) links to videos about how to post to the forum. These are found at the bottom of the page titled: Parker Frequently Asked Questions (find this on the main page: parkerguns.org).

Meghan Superczynski, for Boss Shotshells, Bridgman, Michigan
John Knobelsdorf II is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Knobelsdorf II For Your Post:
Unread 10-06-2019, 04:34 PM   #3
Diesel Doctor
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks. I'll get some photos soon.
Unread 10-06-2019, 08:52 PM   #4
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,604 Times in 1,842 Posts

Welcome aboard Young Fella. So you're a shooter and now you have a Parker. Have you been shooting those guns with stacked barrels or the SxS which is the more appropriate configuration ?
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2019, 07:24 AM   #5
Diesel Doctor
Forum Associate

Member Info

Randy, this is a side by side. But I haven't been shooting it. My dad originally got the gun after my grandfather died about 1953 and I got it from my dad in the 70's and it went in the closet with my other family hand-me-down. My dad always told me not to shoot it because it had damascus barrels and modern loads could destroy the gun and me. So I've never shot it. I am an active shooter, but not with the Parker.
The Following User Says Thank You to John Black For Your Post:
Unread 10-07-2019, 08:06 AM   #6
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,757 Times in 732 Posts

John,

If you could give us the full serial number we can often be able to tell you how it left the factory. The "Book" was compiled from Parker records and many of the serial numbers are listed. On another note many of us shoot our Damascus and Twist Parkers. Much research has been done along with actually blowing up a few Parkers to determine where and at what pressure these guns would fail. What was found is that Parker Damascus and Fluid Steel guns let go at the breach at the same 31,000 psi +-. That said, those of us that shoot our Damascus and Twist Parkers do so with velocities at 1200 fps or below and liter shot loads i.e.: 1oz in a 12 gauge. RST Shells makes appropriate loads for these fine old guns and pressures are well below 8,000 psi. We're within a year of one another in age and I have my fathers Parker. Other than my memories of him this little Parker is my most precious posession.
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Harry Collins For Your Post:
Unread 10-07-2019, 08:19 AM   #7
Diesel Doctor
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks Harry. Truth be told, my oldest son has the Parker. Like my grandfather and father, I have passed it down to him. I have asked him to bring it to me so I can take some photos and get the serial number. Knowing now that I may be able to get proper loads for it, I may have it checked out to see if it is safe to shoot. Any suggestions as to how/where to have it checked? I live in the Tampa, FL area.
Unread 10-07-2019, 08:45 AM   #8
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,757 Times in 732 Posts

John,

I am not familiar with gunsmiths in your area that would or wouldn't be knowledgable on old doubles. Most gunsmiths, I fear, are afraid of Damascus and Twist guns because of the liability they may incur. If you google https://sites.google.com/a/damascusk...e.com/www/home you will find great information on these old barrels. Toward the bottom of the page in blue is Barrel Evaluation which will give you what you want to ask the gunsmith to look for.

Kindest, Harry
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Harry Collins For Your Post:
Unread 10-07-2019, 10:51 AM   #9
Diesel Doctor
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks Harry.
Unread 10-07-2019, 03:27 PM   #10
Garth Gustafson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,346 Times in 372 Posts

Welcome John,
Fortunately there are SXS gunsmiths that have the knowledge and experience to do a proper safety inspection on your Parker. These smiths have been vetted by PGCA members.

From the PGCA homepage click on Parker FAQs, see #1 Need a Gunsmith?

Good luck in getting your gun back in service and please keep us posted.
Garth Gustafson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garth Gustafson For Your Post: