Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

New guy ,just found a Parker
Unread 08-17-2010, 08:51 PM   #1
chris dawe
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,784 Times in 602 Posts

Default New guy ,just found a Parker

It's a 12 gauge 30 inch bbl ,the barrel's are marked Parker Bros Makers.Meridian Conn.Bernard steel there is still quite alot of figure showing ,the left bbl however has a few small dent's,also there is a sling stud installed and a teeny brass rear sight just ahead of the doll's head.The only marking on the barrel flat's are a faint A on the left side and a B then 3 1/4 then C then 4 on the right
The forend is origional with matching ser#.
The receiver is coverd in a fine scroll,with no finish left, the side's depict pointing dog's the underside depict's a running deer,the water table has a patent Jan 18,Aug 16 1887 then May 7.Oct 8 1889 on the right side on the left there the serial #84762 with a 4 above it and a C below.
The buttstock is broken at the wrist and crudely repaired the checkering seem's to be about 18 lpi ,much coarser than the forend,it also has a cheekrest and a plain butt plate ...so I'm thinking they're not origional.
The gun lock's up real tight ,the lever right of center and the bore's are quite good....I picked the gun up for a pennance imo ,just thinking of it as a project to add to the pile so any help would be appreciated,the bbl dent's I will remove myself, I'm also capeable of the restock...any help or advice with the other stuff greately appreciated
chris dawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2010, 09:12 PM   #2
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,925 Times in 870 Posts

You have a 'C' grade Parker. And that's a good one to have! Congratulations on your find.

If you restock it you can see other C grade Parkers if you follow the Parker Grades link on the left side of the Parkerguns.org page. Ask questions here and I'm sure you will get the best knowledge on checkering patterns and lines per inch, butt finish , etc.

Great find!
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2010, 09:17 PM   #3
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,360 Times in 12,409 Posts

Hi Chris and welcome! I responded to your post on the other forum and I'm glad to see you coming to the PGCA forum for opinions.
84762 is shown as a Grade 4 or CH with Damascus barrels - however, it is either a misprint or the gun went back to Parker Bros. for replacement Bernard barrels. My opinion is that the "book" is wrong and the gun was most probably made with the Bernard barrels. It is shown to have a capped pistol grip and 30" barrels. Of course the book says nothing about the unusual stock or the sling attachments. Those things might be addressed in a letter which we would urge you to send for. A Parker of that quality was not ordered by any ordinary chicken farmer for predator control and whoever he was, he may well have been a shooter or businessman of some fame and notoriety. Please send for a letter before you do anything to that rare Parker.

Dean
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 08-17-2010, 09:24 PM   #4
chris dawe
PGCA Member

Member Info

Wow guy's ...thank's so much for your help thus far,I geuss the letter is the next step thank's again
Unread 08-19-2010, 06:22 PM   #5
chris dawe
PGCA Member

Member Info

I'm sending for the reasearch letter tomorrow,do anyone else have any thought's on this gun ?.........seem's like everyone left the building
Unread 08-19-2010, 06:47 PM   #6
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Please share the content's of the letter with us when it arrives. Can you post some pictures of the gun?
Unread 08-19-2010, 10:53 PM   #7
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,360 Times in 12,409 Posts

Nope, haven't left the building - just sitting around waiting for the pictures of your Parker.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2010, 06:04 PM   #8
chris dawe
PGCA Member

Member Info

There are some pic's in the top left corner of my first post,they seem to take a while to open ,and again I apoligize for the quality it's the only camera I own .

Thank's for the interest fella's
Unread 09-10-2010, 07:13 PM   #9
chris dawe
PGCA Member

Member Info

O.K fella's ,I just got the letter.....the gun was ordered by Buhl & sons and company in Detroit on April the 17 ,1896 and shipped on June 9 of the same year the barrel's were 30 inch damascus (bernard ) choke's were full and full the order specified a stock sheild engraved BM ,length of pull was specified at 14 1/4 drop at 3 and a weight of 7 lb's at a price of $150.00 ....basically that's all I have.The gun has sling swivel's installed (unfortunately ) the stock is not origional and broken at the wrist and there was a rear sight installed about an inch ahead of the doll's head (very unsightly) damascus is quite visible with a couple dent's (wich I've removed) the bore's are quite good,and the receiver has no color left......So basically ,what have I got here ?...personally I would like to keep it, restocked of course to my dimension's the sling swivel and sight would be plugged for now untill a better repair can be made.

Any advice greatly apprciated,thank-you in advance
Unread 09-10-2010, 07:54 PM   #10
Pittypatdugan
PGCA Member

Member Info

To view pictures, right click on the red X, then select open link and the pictures will show

PDD
Pat Dugan is offline   Reply With Quote