Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Fly Fishing Trip of a Lifetime
Unread 03-04-2014, 06:16 PM   #1
John D.
PGCA Lifer
Admin

Member Info

Thanked 4,168 Times in 827 Posts

Default Fly Fishing Trip of a Lifetime

For those of you who have not received your EXCELLENT copy of the latest issue of Parker Pages yet - there is indeed a "Centerfold"

What is in that centerfold is an excellent opportunity for a PGCA Member to win a Fly Fishing Trip of a Lifetime. This raffle will benefit the Parker Gun Foundation - and it looks simply outstanding...

Anyway - I've attached a scan of the centerfold, below - and it looks to be an adventure and something that might happen only once in a lifetime....

Good luck to all who enter..!

John

http://parkerguns.org/forums/attachm...1&d=1393975207
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pf.jpg (407.4 KB, 36 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PF.pdf (1.02 MB, 6 views)
John Dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2014, 06:40 PM   #2
jeffkinser
Forum Associate

Member Info

Do you have to be present to win? or can you win "remotely" for those of us not able to attend?

This trip looks amazing.

Jeff
jeffkinser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2014, 06:47 PM   #3
John D.
PGCA Lifer
Admin

Member Info

Thanked 4,168 Times in 827 Posts

Hi Jeff.!

I don't think so (that you have to be present), as long as you have purchased your ticket before the drawing.. You might want to call Allan to check, but - I'm pretty certain I'm right..??

Anyway - if you do enter - good luck!!! And remember, if you do win and need a fishing partner - "I'm your man for the job"

Best to you!

John
John Dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2014, 06:56 PM   #4
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,360 Times in 12,409 Posts

It is indeed, for most, a trip of a lifetime. The chance to fly-fish for those big Alaska leopard rainbows is a "must do" at least once in your life!
I was there in the last week of June and the first week of July and that is PRIME TIME for those big "Bows" to be gorging on salmon eggs so you'll likely be fishing various egg patterns.

Take a chance - it is definitely worth it!
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 03-04-2014, 06:59 PM   #5
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Tickets must be purchased before April 10th and there is nothing in the notice about having to be present at the drawing to win.
Unread 03-05-2014, 03:38 AM   #6
Jean Swanson
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,080 Times in 237 Posts

You do NOT have to be present at the drawing on April 25th 2014.

Allan Swanson
Jean Swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jean Swanson For Your Post:
Unread 03-05-2014, 12:21 PM   #7
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Could be a trip of a lifetime. I did a fly fishing trip to a place like that with friends last September. We fished the Kvichak River that drains Lk Iliamna and the trip dates are already set for this coming September. My first fish was a 27" rainbow. We spent 4 days on the river and caught a lot of incredible trout. It was mostly drift fishing or from the bank using 9-10+ ft Spey rods that were capable of reaching wayyyy out there with large sometimes weighted purple and orange streamers. Drifting a single orange bead that looks like a salmon egg along the bottom was the most effective. The trout hang out in the current below the salmon beds waiting for the current to excavate an egg that will drift into their face. They really hammer them. Big big fun I can tell you. Alaska has some of the finest rainbow trout waters in the world.

There is a lot of information on the web about this lodge. Great pics. Looks like an incredible place. Just google the lodge name.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Richard Flanders For Your Post:
Unread 03-05-2014, 04:33 PM   #8
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Richard, what lodge did you stay at on the Kvichak? I stayed at Ole Creek Lodge right where the river exits Lake Illiamna. I took an 18" Grayling on a size 18 Adams too. I know September is best for the monster Bows as they drop from the lake into the river for the good eats then but late June and early July was fantastic in its own right. We took lots of Bows to about six+ pounds and saw bigger ones on the gravelly bottom. Awesome river!!
Unread 03-05-2014, 04:41 PM   #9
John Havard
PGCA Member

Member Info

Back in the day several of my buddies would fly to Lake Iliamna in late September and early October and fish the tributaries. They didn't count a rainbow unless it was over 30", and they caught a lot of them. Orgasmic fishing is the best way to describe it.

I still haven't received my Parker Pages yet but will definitely be down for at least one chance.
Unread 03-05-2014, 06:49 PM   #10
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

John: a 30" fish now is very rare and the holy grail. I heard stories of 36" rainbows from them. The fellow who I fished with every day, Greg Heister (see his show on NBC sports, "Season on the Fly") has fished every inch over every river down there and I think said he has not gotten a 30" fish yet. The lodge owner came out one day and got a 29" in Sept but not a 30". The river is hammered to death by guides these days.

Dean: we stayed at Blueberry Island. 3? or 5? miles down river from the lake. Small lodge, one man operation. Good deal though. We take all our own food and do our own cooking. George supplies us with lodging + boats and gas we do it all ourselves and save a lot of money that way. They guys I went with go every year and know the river very well so don't need a guide.

BTW: THIS is a fish. Kenai river salmon a Fedex pilot friend caught this past fall or summer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Doug B salmon.jpg (72.9 KB, 1 views)
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote