Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Unread 01-22-2012, 09:40 PM   #21
WilliamGuest
PGCA Member

Member Info

I was leaning towards the straight grips anyway...Prefer that on my shotguns..And yes, it is true..it's mine, and if i'm gonna pay the money to have it restored, as least to a certain point, might as well have it the way i'm most happy with it....When I get my camera straightened out and a few pictures taken, I'll be sure to post current pics, and once completed, after pics.

Thanks

WG
WilliamGuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2012, 11:58 AM   #22
Chuck Heald
Forum Associate

Member Info

WG,
I had a gun with a similar situation and had the same decisions to make. It happened to be a Fox AE with a poor replacement stock that was broken at the wrist. So, no original stock. I chose original species wood for stocking it, but much higher figure. I chose a factory pattern but an X grade pattern for checkering. I did stick to the original pistol style.

Last edited by Chuck Heald; 01-23-2012 at 01:33 PM..
Chuck Heald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Heald For Your Post:
Unread 01-23-2012, 02:08 PM   #23
WilliamGuest
PGCA Member

Member Info

Wow!! very nice Fox! Beautiful wood there too..
some pictures of my VH (pic heavy)
Unread 01-23-2012, 02:24 PM   #24
WilliamGuest
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default some pictures of my VH (pic heavy)

Here are several pics of the VH that is getting restored first..Never got the PH yet, should have it in the mail tomorrow morning hopefully. I do have an inletted blank for the VH, not shown here in the pics, but may upgrade to another higher figured piece of walnut for the butt and forend, (forend in pics is only a "slap on" that the previous owner had in order to use it for hunting. The receiver and most other metal has been cold-blued at somepoint in it's life, the barrels will be getting a rust blue before it's all over.

I'm also going to need a few replacement screws as well, couple stripped out/buggered.

Unread 01-23-2012, 03:15 PM   #25
Chuck Heald
Forum Associate

Member Info

WG,
If you look at the pic of the side showing the tang of the frame, you see the upper has a curve to it that continues past the screw under the middle of the toplever. If you straighten it from about the screw on back, it will look and work out much better for a higher (modern) comb straight grip stock. If you don't, it will have a curved look to the upper line of the grip and it will have a large/deep "gullett" in the grip to comb area. It's a subtle change that will make the gun look so much better. But when you do the upper tang, you have to also straighten the toplever and raise the bottom frame tang as well. All of this can be bent easily. Heat it with a propane torch if you like, but it will bend without heat.
Chuck Heald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Heald For Your Post:
Unread 01-23-2012, 03:29 PM   #26
WilliamGuest
PGCA Member

Member Info

Will certainly consider it Chuck..
Unread 01-27-2012, 10:50 AM   #27
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,411 Times in 4,591 Posts

I had earlier mentioned the Galazan straight grip guards for Parkers. I just got mine in the mail that I ordered for my old lifter. It is good, but not an exact reproduction. They got the thread pitch correct and it screws right on. The tang is about an inch shorter than an original parker guard and the screw holes are spaced closer together as well. The screw holes are drilled, but not countersunk. Also the actual guard loop is a bit more rounded than the originals. Also, the angles of the end of the tang are too sharp, but that can be corrected with a file.
Basically, they are good for new work, but not as a replacement on an existing stock.
Unread 01-27-2012, 12:22 PM   #28
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

Galazan makes great products, but not always exact repros.

I bought the straight guard for a Fox and found it was narrower and the thread on the post did not match. Since the post was a little larger, I did manage to find a correct die and recut them. The guard sufficed until the extended one arrived from Turnbull, which fit as it should
Unread 01-27-2012, 12:58 PM   #29
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,411 Times in 4,591 Posts

If I am correct, I do not think that Galazan actually offers a Fox guard. The other straight grip guard they offer is a "universal" one. It says it has a 8mm stud, which would not be right for an old American gun.
Unread 01-27-2012, 01:13 PM   #30
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Dudley View Post
If I am correct, I do not think that Galazan actually offers a Fox guard. The other straight grip guard they offer is a "universal" one. It says it has a 8mm stud, which would not be right for an old American gun.
could very well be Brian - so they make a Fox but not the guard

I ordered one for a Fox - but if that order was filled by a univeral - that would explain the fit. recut - It served for the time I needed it, something to use until the original (extended) was ready.