Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Should I buy a project Parker ?
Unread 11-13-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Should I buy a project Parker ?

First let me say I have a nice VH, untouched and don't plan to touch it.

Local shop has a rough VH for sale cheap. Loose at the hinge pin but not real loose, I have shot worse. 28 inch barrels not cut. Bore is OK not perfect can't see any deep pits, may clean up fine. Chokes appear opened, right has very little choke. Can measure it with a friends gage. Metal Finish is well worn, surface dirt, very little rust no deep pits. Small dent in one barrel nothing that can't be raised. Other than the loose pin and small dent rest of the gun is functioning & all there. Stock is intact but has a old pin repair and a small crack in the wrist. Poor pad added. Checkering almost all worn off. Standing back and looking it's a well used field gun.

Thinking about buying to learn how Parkers work inside. Have overhauled several older rough S&W Revolvers, Marlin Lever Actions Single Shot Rifles. Not looking for profit and know restoration rarely pays. Advantage to this gun is it's mostly finish and stock work, nothing out of my experience. Disassemble and re-assemble is what I would be learning, would have the barrel dent raised, that's over my head. Leave the metal lightly cleaned not buffed or blued. Finished up would keep it for bad weather or open choke jobs.

Think it's worth a try ?

William Davis
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2013, 08:46 PM   #2
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,518 Times in 4,619 Posts

Sounds like a good opportunity for you to learn some things about Parkers. Not knowing what they are asking for the gun, I cannot advise on cost value. Being a VH, it would
Not be a money making opportunity, but it doesn't sound like that is what you are after.

If you have any questions about Parker mechanics or service, feel free to refer to my disassembly tutorial photos or ask me your questions directly.
Unread 11-13-2013, 08:59 PM   #3
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,191 Times in 12,368 Posts

Yes, it's worth the expense. Don't lose any parts and you'll actually be able to shoot it when you're done with your Parker apprenticeship.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2013, 09:06 PM   #4
Eldon Goddard
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I did the same thing with a real beater. Got the gun to lock up tight and fixed the trigger and safety that were jammed up. Learned a lot and was tons of fun. Take apart a few shotguns and you realize the quality that is in a Parker.
Eldon Goddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2013, 11:05 PM   #5
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks,

That's what I wanted to hear. When it's in hand will post pictures.

Bill
Unread 11-14-2013, 07:19 AM   #6
C grade
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,233 Times in 454 Posts

William
I have found that if you want to shoot Parkers you also need to be able to make minor repairs. A restoration of that gun would be a great education especially with Brian as a backup
David
David Dwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 07:27 AM   #7
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

My Thoughts exactly.

Don't want to operate anything I don't know how to fix. Not that I fix many complicated machines myself, however knowing how something works helps when you have to send it out to the pro's. You can talk the same language.

Side benefit is I may be able to save a veteran Parker from wall hanging.

Bill
Unread 11-14-2013, 07:33 AM   #8
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,518 Times in 4,619 Posts

Parkers are complex, with a lot of parts. As compared to, for example, a Fox. And not nearly as complicated as an NID. Those things have more parts that a Parker!

But... Each one has its own "things" about them that make them tricky to work on. One thing is for sure, when you get inside a Parker, you appreciate the close tolerances and delicate machining work.
Unread 11-14-2013, 07:44 AM   #9
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Takes some time to learn how things work, took me a month with a beater S&W double action revolver, figured it out with a good book and a few tips from friends, had to make a tool etc. Glad I did it don't plan to do another.

Been overhauling Penn Reels for years, my own, friends, and to help out the local tackle shop when they are overloaded with repairs. Small tricks make the job easy. Learned pre internet before we had the great resources like Brian's photos. Penn's down pat, give me a Abu more likely to mess it up than fix it.

Looking forward to the VH

Bill
Unread 11-14-2013, 08:44 AM   #10
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,577 Times in 926 Posts

A VH in the condition you describe is VERY likely to have at least one large crack in the stock head. The wrist repair is a hint. If this is the case, you must know how to correct ALL of these cracked/split wood problems before shooting the gun again. If you have not done this before, it is wise to seek an experienced hand at this task.

BTW... take care in disassembly. Wood parts may fall out in the process!
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote