Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Advice on restoration and value
Unread 10-18-2013, 01:11 AM   #1
William Boynton
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Advice on restoration and value

I have a Parker that was my Grandfathers gun with a serial no. 2000xx which was manufactured in 1922. It has a frame size 12/2 and a barrel weight 3 15 and grade ov. It is made of Trojan steel. It has a fair amount of rust but is in ok shape otherwise. Should I attempt to refinish it myself or should I have it professionally done. Is this a valuable gun ??
Edit Report
William Boynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 01:25 AM   #2
Dennis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Hi William,

You don't give too much information about your gun except for a partial serial number and that it has a fair amount of rust. I have to say a fair amount of rust to you may be an incredible amount of rust to me. You would be surprised at what you can do with some 0000 steel wool sprayed with something Rem Oil or even 3 in 1 oil. Rub vigorously and the rust will come off without doing damage to the bluing underneath. You can also use a Frontier Pad which does the same thing and is very popular on the PGCA site. Pictures will help members decide on what is the best course of action to take with the gun. The Trojan is the lowest grade of the Parker Brothers guns so you could be putting a lot of money into a gun which will always be simply a cherished family shooter. Nothing wrong with that at all. You just may be able to clean the gun up yourself without putting thousands of dollars into a very inexpensive gun. Consider what do the inside of the barrels look like, bright and shiny or pitted (a little-a lot)? How about the wood? Is it cracked, checkering totally worn, finish gone or in great shape with only minor nicks and dings from normal field use? How about the case coloring? Is it still colorful or has it worn down to a nice muted shine from normal carrying in the field? Have you considered becoming a member and sending for a factory letter on the gun? It would be wonderful if the gun came back lettered to a family member. If not it is usually interesting to read just where the gun ended up from the factory. Please submit some photos and I guarantee somebody much more experienced than me will offer some great advice on the gun. For right now I would do nothing other than use the steel wool on the areas of rust.

Dennis
Dennis V. Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis V. Nix For Your Post:
Unread 10-18-2013, 01:50 AM   #3
William Boynton
Forum Associate

Member Info

image.jpg
Unread 10-18-2013, 01:52 AM   #4
William Boynton
Forum Associate

Member Info

image.jpg
Unread 10-18-2013, 01:55 AM   #5
William Boynton
Forum Associate

Member Info

image.jpg
Unread 10-18-2013, 08:11 AM   #6
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

the last picture looks like more than light surface rust.

get some steel wool and oil and get the rust stopped - sort of first aid.

then, since its a family piece, and if you plan to keep it - unless you are experienced with such projects, I would find a QUALIFIED double gun gunsmith. how are the bores? If they are badly pitted, that might affect the decision to put much into it.

If you give a general location, some one may be able to recommend a gunsmith
Unread 10-18-2013, 08:46 AM   #7
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,575 Times in 925 Posts

You have a common dilemma. A family heirloom in poor condition that you'd like "restored."

First, understand that it's value as an heirloom cannot be measured except by you. Thus the cost of restoration must be considered an investment in your family legacy and not a pure cost issue.

Accept that you will spend more in the gun's revival than it will ultimately be "worth" on the market.

That said, I'd say keep your family's legacy intact, and find a PRO to restore the gun. Brad Bachelder is currently much preferred for this and will do a fine job.
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 11:39 AM   #8
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,411 Times in 4,591 Posts

From a standpoint of maintenance, I would recommend at least re bluing the barrels.