Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Help/Advice
Unread 11-29-2009, 11:27 AM   #1
Greg Sharp
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Help/Advice

Hello all. I'm new here and I can use some advice on what I can/should do with my Parker gun. It's a VH, 12ga, 2 frame with 30" barrels. According to the serial #149982, it was mfg'd in 1909. My ex bought it for me some years ago as a "project gun". Broken stock, Some rust, case colors worn and minor pitting in barrels close to the reciever. It is mechanically sound. I wish I had the ability to post pictures but I dont; I know that might help. I had a friend who "knew a guy" who did very good restoration work. He restocked it with xxx fancy walnut and hand checkered it, I definatly wasn't expecting that! I hadn't asked for it but he charged me the same as he quoted for the field grade wood. I know that that grade of wood is inapropriate for that grade of gun; does that hurt it's value? He re-did the case colors beautifully and parkerized the barrels. Here's the problem: after taking it hunting a few times with modestly high pressure handloads I noticed a slight bulging in the right barrel. I took it into see a very respected gunsmith, he told me that the barrels were "riddled", had thin spots, and couldn't be shot safely. Of course I went through the roof that "this guy" either couldn't or didn't tell me about this problem before I sunk the money into it.If I had known before hand I obviously would have had the choice of weather or not I wanted to incur the cost of re-barrling or send the "project" off to someone who was so inclined. I'm not really sure what I should do with it at this point. I'd like to hunt with it but I'm not inclined to absorb the cost of re-barreling it. Originally my plan was to have it as a shooter and when my son became old enough to pass it on to him. Unfortunatly I lost my son a couple of years ago and I'm sure that my daughters would have no interest in it. Are there people out there who would be interested in such a piece? It's way too pretty to just hang-up over the fireplace....it was made to be in the field. Any advice you could give me would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg
Greg Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2009, 01:03 PM   #2
Bill Bolyard
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Greg,

You could buy a set of Briley tubes and shoot 20ga shells safely in the gun.
just a thought.

Bill

"Let me hasten to explain, ere the cat people bristle their back fur,that we have nothing against little kitties who stay by the fire and restrict their diet to canned salmon. Our members wouldn't dream of shooting a cat in the lap of an elderly lady sitting in a rocking chair in the front parlor, provided the window is closed".

Corey Ford
Bill Bolyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2009, 02:07 PM   #3
Greg Sharp
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks Bill,

Any idea how much weight that would add?
Unread 11-29-2009, 02:18 PM   #4
Marc Retallack
Forum Associate

Member Info

Greg

Briley's ( www.briley.com ) info states 10-15oz. depending on several factors. They also are not steel compatible if that is a consideration for you.

Cheers
Marcus
Marc Retallack is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Marc Retallack's homepage!
Unread 11-29-2009, 10:15 PM   #5
Greg Sharp
Forum Associate

Member Info

That's a great idea! I've been away from shotgunning for a while and I'd forgotton all about Briley. That reminds me that I've got an older Ruger Red Lable that I wanted to put choke tubes in. Thanks a lot for the reminder.

Greg
Unread 12-04-2009, 11:14 AM   #6
Ray Masciarella
Forum Associate

Member Info

If you really want to spend money, you can have Teague reline the barrels and maintain the 12 ga bore size. About 3k tho.

Ray
Ray Masciarella is offline   Reply With Quote