Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 03-30-2013, 04:22 PM   #11
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

That's a great letter. Couldn't ask for much more info than that. Definitely unusual.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 04:27 PM   #12
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,872 Times in 4,755 Posts

The Monte Carlo stock is very rare in that era and still quite scarce later on. The fact that your gun belonged to a very prolific professional shooter of the time makes it interesting to those who collect early competition guns. Mr. Stair was apparently a trade representative, but I don't know for whom. Harry E. Stair, of the same town, was a representative for Peters Cartridge Company. I would assume that J.H. Stair may have represented Peters also. He shot Peters cartridges at one shoot in which he placed high. He was near the top in many shoots he attended, including one where he was second place for a Smith shotgun and one in which he was second place for a Parker shotgun. All these references are from la84.com, Shooting Life magazine.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 03-30-2013, 04:34 PM   #13
Dane Atkinson
Forum Associate

Member Info

I wonder if J.R. Allen was the first owner of the gun? My grandpa grew up on a farm in Foreston, MN and eventually moved to Brooklyn Park, MN. His mother and father being Wilma & Roy Atkinson. (Roy L. Atkinson and Wilma Britton married 1919). I am curious as to how they acquired this gun...
DaneRAtkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 04:34 PM   #14
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

The Monte Carlo stock is very rare in that era and still quite scarce later on. The fact that your gun belonged to a very prolific professional shooter of the time makes it interesting to those who collect early competition guns. Mr. Stair was apparently a trade representative, but I don't know for whom. Harry E. Stair, of the same town, was a representative for Peters Cartridge Company. I would assume that J.H. Stair may have represented Peters also. He shot Peters cartridges at one shoot in which he placed high. He was near the top in many shoots he attended, including one where he was second place for a Smith shotgun and one in which he was second place for a Parker shotgun. All these references are from la84.com, Shooting Life magazine.
Unread 03-30-2013, 04:36 PM   #15
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,972 Times in 1,421 Posts

I was thinking while I was looking at the records that he hit a "Home Run."

It's nice to do that kind of letter, sometimes you strike out, sometimes you hit the jackpot.

Contrats, Dane!
Chuck Bishop is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chuck Bishop For Your Post:
Unread 03-30-2013, 04:38 PM   #16
Dane Atkinson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
How do you find all of this info? Do you think it is true that this belonged to a professional shooter named J.H. Stair? Or a the initials a coincidence?
Unread 03-30-2013, 05:03 PM   #17
Dane Atkinson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Some J.H.S. shooting results I found.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JHS.jpg (79.6 KB, 336 views)
File Type: jpg JHS2.jpg (21.6 KB, 336 views)
File Type: jpg JHS3.jpg (35.1 KB, 336 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to DaneRAtkinson For Your Post:
Unread 03-30-2013, 05:17 PM   #18
Dane Atkinson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Attached Images
File Type: jpg JHS4.jpg (123.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg JHS5.jpg (249.5 KB, 7 views)
Unread 03-30-2013, 07:21 PM   #19
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

No, it is not a coincidence. He owned your gun. The Allen guy was probably a local dealer who received the gun from the person who ordered the gun. Such a gun would only have been ordered by a shooter of the significance of Stair. It was definitely his gun. As I said, my research material came from la84.com search function and American Trapshooting Association average books from the era. I am glad to furnish you this information if you keep me in mind when you want to sell your gun. Congratulations on a great gun.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 03-30-2013, 07:26 PM   #20
Dane Atkinson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
No, it is not a coincidence. He owned your gun. The Allen guy was probably a local dealer who received the gun from the person who ordered the gun. Such a gun would only have been ordered by a shooter of the significance of Stair. It was definitely his gun. As I said, my research material came from la84.com search function and American Trapshooting Association average books from the era. I am glad to furnish you this information if you keep me in mind when you want to sell your gun.
Thank you for your help. I do not intend on selling it. Do people insure guns? Do you have a rough idea of what it would be worth?