Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

A somewhat Unique Double With a Parker
Unread 11-19-2018, 04:35 PM   #1
Bill Zachow
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default A somewhat Unique Double With a Parker

Reading the “Unique Double” thread got me to thinking about my double over 20 years ago- Went to the Syracuse Gun Show and happened onto a 28”, 12 gauge Trogan. The gun was in excellent used condition. Not much case color but very good blue and wood finish and the screws had never seen a screw driver. Since I have an almost new 30” Trogan 12, I wanted this one to hunt with. I bought the gun. Took it home to the farm and decided to take it for a walk. About a 1/8 th mile from the house, 2 turkeys walked out in front of me looking away. One shot from the Trogan and 2 turkeys flopping. Does this qualify for the “doubles” pin.😜😜😜
Bill Zachow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bill Zachow For Your Post:
Unread 11-19-2018, 05:16 PM   #2
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,720 Posts

Bill, you're the only one I would trust with this story. A few decades ago, I was shooting skeet at our local Izaak Walton range with my 1889 Remington ten gauge. I spied a groundhog behind the low house, loaded the Remington with a pair of 1 5/8 ounce high brass #4s and crept around the skeet house. I spotted the groundhog at about 35 yards. Knowing that a shotgun is no weapon for groundhogs, I pulled both barrels at his head. He went down like a rock and I walked up to find him and his companion dead on arrival. I had never seen the other hog until after I shot.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 11-19-2018, 06:25 PM   #3
Bill Zachow
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Bill, maybe the PGCA will give us both “double” pins. It is really amazing the things that can happen when you touch off a shot. Mucho years ago I saw a flock of Turkeys out in my North meadow. About a 150 yards from the house. I decided to try for one with my Wichester 70 in 22 hornet. It has a lyman peep sight so I went for a pody shot. Touched it off and the bird went flopping. Walked up hoping I did not damage too much meat. I didn’t damage any. Took his head off..... total luck
Bill Zachow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2018, 06:44 PM   #4
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

THAT IS SOME GREAT STORIES......bill did that old remey ten have damascus barrells....i have shot lots of them 1 5/8 ounce loads through my dads old lefever e grade with damascus barrels... keep them stories comeing .....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2018, 08:05 AM   #5
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Zachow View Post
It is really amazing the things that can happen when you touch off a shot.
No doubles pin for me but an interesting almost double. GH 16 out for pheasants. Charlie put up a nice rooster. A fraction of a second before I pulled a trigger a second much closer rooster rocketed out of cover and took the payload. His buddy kept flying. Years ago I did make a double on sharp tails but that was with the only new gun I ever bought as a young man and still have and still use from time to time - Winchester 1200 pump. Cheers Jack