Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 10-29-2018, 09:28 PM   #71
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,175 Times in 12,362 Posts

We don't call them mudbugs because here in the "Nawth" they live in freestone streams, rivers and lakes. We catch them at night when they are out from under the rocks and we put on chest waders, lash a fishing net to a 5-foot pole and jack them with a light in water up to 3 or 4 feet deep. If you know the right spots, a couple of guys can catch about a hundred in an hour or so. Like Tom says, steam them or boil them like you would a lobster ("lobstah" up here) dunk them in melted butter and pop 'em down the hatch. Delicious!

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2018, 09:35 PM   #72
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

I hate the term mudbugs. It's a bit too harsh for such a succulent little devil. We called them either crayfish or crawfish where I come from. I've never gone out for them at night. I didn't even know about that. I just got them during the day by lifting rocks. There are a ton of them in my freestone stream. I'll say one thing....Dean sure knows how to cook woodcock and crayfish. Unlike my Maryland friends who take a perfectly good crab and bury it in Old Bay. It's all you taste. New Englanders know better!
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post:
Unread 10-30-2018, 06:09 AM   #73
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Ha, they call em mud bugs for a reason since there really aren't any free stone creeks or bayous in Louisiana. Btw when did you New Englanders start eating them crayfish. Was Thoreau misunderstood wading around for a day in Walden Pond acting like a frog or was he aiming for a mess of crawdads.

I am pretty sure there are lots of different species of crawfish and some maybe taste differently. I have had some crawfish that were properly cleaned and purged and then steamed. They weren't bad but prefer the low country boil Cajun way if done properly and allowed to cool down served with all the fixins.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2018, 06:27 AM   #74
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

No offense taken for calling them mudbugs Todd. We New England folks don't eat those southern style crawdads that crawl around in the mud. Ours are taken from pristine lakes and beautiful freestone streams. Maybe the reason you southern boys use all those Cajun spices is to overcome the mud taste of your crawdads. No offense, but animals and crustaceans taken from New England are a tad bit tastier than their counterparts down south. Its a fact Todd. Look it up.
Unread 10-30-2018, 07:12 AM   #75
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

No offense taken nor given. I can honestly say that I have not eaten any crawfish taken from a clear water lake or freestone stream, so I have no basis to even debate or discuss that fine point. Plus I know different species do have different tastes. Yes mud bugs need to be cleaned and purged before putting into boil, if not then your doing the meal a disservice. Maybe you don't have to do that for yours but I find it a necessary step to get most out the taste of your crawfish.

BTw be careful about comparing superiority of one crustacean over another from different parts of the country. For many years when the blue crab population was decimated in Maryland they imported a lot of crabs from Louisiana. They only shipped you fellas the ones they did not want for themselves.
Unread 10-30-2018, 08:39 AM   #76
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Poer View Post
No offense taken nor given. I can honestly say that I have not eaten any crawfish taken from a clear water lake or freestone stream, so I have no basis to even debate or discuss that fine point. Plus I know different species do have different tastes. Yes mud bugs need to be cleaned and purged before putting into boil, if not then your doing the meal a disservice. Maybe you don't have to do that for yours but I find it a necessary step to get most out the taste of your crawfish.

BTw be careful about comparing superiority of one crustacean over another from different parts of the country. For many years when the blue crab population was decimated in Maryland they imported a lot of crabs from Louisiana. They only shipped you fellas the ones they did not want for themselves.
Excuse me Todd. Maryland is not the north. It's the south. A genuine New England crawfish does not need to be purged or cleaned. I'm trying to behave myself and not state that everything is better in New England or the north, but we did beat you guys in the unfortunate war between the north and the south. It's hard not to feel a bit superior.
Unread 10-30-2018, 09:53 AM   #77
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

O Cmon you pulled your Yankee Card like a gun. Congratulations on the victory. Your ancestors were right, economics and morality of slavery sucks. Been burning anymore witches recently?

BTW according to farmers almanac the Canadian Ice shield should be heading your way this winter. Enjoy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Todd Poer For Your Post:
Unread 10-30-2018, 11:27 AM   #78
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I love winter Todd. I'm anxiously awaiting the Canadian Ice shield. It will mow down a lot of tall timber creating grouse cover some day. Actually, none of my ancestors burned witches but my grandfather (8) on my mothers Farnum family side participated in the so called Salem Witch Trials. Some of the trials were held in Dean's town of Andover, near Salem, where my relatives lived. Ralph Farnum II was a grand juryman for the beginning of the trials but he died before giving service. His son, Ralph Farnum III, testified against Martha Carrier who was hung. He also testified against Hopestill Tylers wife but she was acquitted. I have a record of his testimony from those trials.

Bottom line is don't mess with Yankees.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post: