Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Unread 10-07-2018, 09:29 PM   #11
Brian Arthur
PGCA Member

Member Info

In this installation of “Learning on a VH” I will share how I rust blued the barrels.

Thanks to Jerry Early, Tom Flanigan and Brian Dudley for helping me out with this stage.

I borrowed a stainless-steel tank, purchased 2 propane burners (Bayou Classic SP10), set up a bench-top drill press with a .0025” wire carding wheel and got some 0000 steel wool for hand carding . Barrels were hung on wire suspended from 2 dowels in both the tank and over the work space. I used tap water (note Brian Dudley reports best results with distilled water) for boiling and Brownells’ Classic Rust Blue as the rusting solution (note Tom Flanigan suggests Laurel Mountain Forge Rust Blue or Pilkington’s and Brian Dudley proposes Mark Lee Express Blue)

First step was to degrease the barrels in a boiling solution of Simple Green and water. I immediately had issues with oil leaking from under the rib and staining the barrel. Jerry and Tom provided advice which led to me soaking the barrels in acetone for 3 days, then degreasing them with Simple Green in boiling water. After the first round of rusting, then boiling and carding, I was happy to see that whatever leaking was occurring from the rib did not affect the finish.

I added a 2 hour bake in the oven at 215 F after carding to make sure any water under the rib dried out before starting the next cycle.

The rust bluing process went exceptionally well through the first 4 cycles (rust/boil/card). The red rust stopped turning black in cycles 5 and 6. Once again the very helpful people on this forum helped me identify and resolve the issue. I carded the red rust and compared the VH barrel to my reference DHE and realized I was done! The key lesson here is that 5 cycles is standard, and it is possible to complete the job in 4.

The barrels were soaked in oil for 24 hours, then I used a Flex Hone to clean up the moderately pitted barrels. Finally, I removed the finish from the muzzle, the lump etc etc. using popsicle sticks and 600 grit sandpaper as well as 0000 steel wool.

Here are the before and after pictures:

B:A Rust Blue Barrel.jpg

B:A Rust Blue Detail.jpg

B:A Blued Barrel Detail 2.jpg

Next Up: The Stock.
Brian Arthur is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Brian Arthur For Your Post:
Unread 10-08-2018, 08:14 PM   #12
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

very nice looking barrels i hope someday to try blueing some barrels....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 10-12-2018, 08:11 PM   #13
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,695 Times in 1,233 Posts

Brian, i noted that you visited with Dan Cullity. Dan has done work for me as well and he is a master craftsman. Brian, do you live in Mass? I am in plymouth and if you are close by, lets try to get together
allen newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2018, 10:37 PM   #14
Brian Arthur
PGCA Member

Member Info

Hi Allen, I live in RI but have family just off the cape. I’d love to get together somtime- we shoot sporting clays at Addieville and Peacedale in my neighborhood.
Brian Arthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2018, 08:25 AM   #15
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,695 Times in 1,233 Posts

Brian, PM or email me next time you plan to shoot clays at Addieville and I'll come down. Also, if you want to hunt birds up at Markover, let me know.
My email is: anewell61@verizon.net
allen newell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to allen newell For Your Post: