Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Headin' North..or East Nor' east in Destry's case...
Unread 09-21-2009, 02:30 PM   #1
Don Kaas
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Headin' North..or East Nor' east in Destry's case...

On Sunday, Kevin "0frame" McCormack, Russell Bickel, Destry and I will be heading north to Quebec to make our annual week long pilgramage to Lac St. Pierre and the vast marshes that rest on the northern shore at this wide spot in the mighty St. Lawrence. This area has long been a famous spot for waterfowlers. Raymond Camp in his wonderful book, "Duck Boats and Blinds" recounts his visits here to what must have been a more primitive post WWII Quebec. Just a couple of hours from Montreal and a mere 8 hour drive from my home, it offers a seemingly exotic foriegn venue without having to pack for the plane. For a full working week we have a real duck camp. And, there are ducks, plenty of ducks...A late September hunt will show you just about any North American puddle duck though greenwings, mallards and a local blackie or two make up the usual bag. We hunt on a 1000 acres adjacent to a mature DU impoundment and other than one or two hunters that may come up for the day from Montreal we usually have the place to ourselves. This year, Parkers will again have a premier role as the guns of choice. Destry will be taking his new "dream gun" a 34" #3 frame 12g DHE, his D grade 10g toplever as well as his go to #2 frame DHE. Russell will be packing a 30" 20g DHE 0 frame and a 32" DH plus likely a M21. I will have a (new to me) straight grip, single trigger 32" Ithaca NID 10g Magnum as Destry found me a pile of Federal 1 3/4oz of #6 loads in Tungsten Polymer to go with it (you see in waterfowling size does matter)and a 32" #1 frame VHE 16 ga with 1 1/8oz Bismuth loads and a 30" #1 frame 12g D grade toplever with 2 1/2" 1 1/8oz Kent T-Ms. We'll have to see what Kevin brings to the party but he has been known to frequent the blinds with either an A-5 or early M21...let's hope he sees the Meriden lamp burning

Last edited by Don Kaas; 09-22-2009 at 11:23 AM..
Don Kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2009, 03:20 PM   #2
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,168 Posts

Taking a wild guess, I'll bet Kevin shows up with over and unders. *faints*

I'm hunting the opening day in Ontario on Saturday, stopping over in London for a few hours to visit a girl I know, then on our little set of rooms there on the river bank.

Don't wait up, I'll be there before daylight.

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2009, 11:26 AM   #3
Don Kaas
Forum Associate

Member Info

Don't worry...we won't wait up but if you are not there for reveille you will have to deal with Sgt. Pogo of the French Foreign Legion. It will not be pleasant , "Dez"...
Unread 09-22-2009, 02:27 PM   #4
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Have you ever known me to miss a day of shooting over visiting a woman? I'll be there!

DLH
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Unread 09-22-2009, 06:44 PM   #5
Don Kaas
Forum Associate

Member Info

Ahhh! your theme song "Bonin' My Way to the Blind"...you do better than Derek Jeter, actually it's remarkable...but, thankfully your greatest talent is uncovering vast amounts of obsolete non-toxic ammunition...
Unread 09-23-2009, 05:01 PM   #6
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

The Swamp Angel was recieved in good shape this afternoon via the US Mail. Mr. Bickel did a fine job with the Silvers pad, looks just like one put on at Parker Bros.

Now if I can just hit something with the ol' girl I'll really be happy.

Destry
Unread 09-23-2009, 06:18 PM   #7
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Good gunnin to you gentlemen....Destry are ya using any of those loads I sent ya?
Unread 09-23-2009, 06:21 PM   #8
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Those are long gone Dave. *wink*

Destry
Unread 09-23-2009, 06:39 PM   #9
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Atta Boy!How did they work for ya?
Unread 09-24-2009, 01:15 PM   #10
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Poison, pure poison.......

DLH