Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 12-03-2020, 05:09 PM   #11
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
I love a single shot. It challenges the shooter to make that one shot count for you will rarely have time for a second well-placed shot.

Thats the truth. Aim small miss small The 300 H&H goes back out to the blind tomorrow. Maybe that will be the day a nice buck or a fat doe meets the Super 30 for the first and last time:rotf
Unread 12-03-2020, 07:08 PM   #12
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,983 Times in 1,127 Posts

Very nice rifle. You did well.

I've been hunting with No. 1s for about 40 years. I learned early on to make that first shot count. It can help make a better shot out of you. That said, I have practiced and can reload a second shot in only a second or two longer than you can cycle a bolt gun. I had big dreams of taking one to Africa for dangerous game once. Therefore, the incentive to learn to reload quickly.

SRH
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post:
Unread 12-03-2020, 07:57 PM   #13
Mark Britton
PGCA Member

Member Info

WoW Thats sweet ! Never seen case coloring on scope rings. Are they Warnen Rings ? Did you have that done ? Very nice. How does it shoot ?
Mark Britton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Britton For Your Post:
Unread 12-03-2020, 08:28 PM   #14
Brett Hoop
PGCA Member

Member Info

Always fun to see these dreams come to fruition. I have had a few No.1 and last one left is a custom by Lowell Mantley. 28” octagon, 7 STW. By far the most accurate single shot I have fooled with producing groups of .345 - .500. Then I took it to Alberta and missed a monster whitetail with it, for sure it wasn’t the rifle. 180” class bucks effect me!

Hope you get to turn it loose on something soon. I have been packing an 84 M in 6.5 Creed this last week but nothin has shown up but a coyote that I couldn’t get on fast enough.
The 30 Super (300 H&H) is my favorite .308 cartridge. The the cloverleaf pre -64, 70 in a Biesen stock will be last of the .308 magnums to go.

I know the gun building sickness, so what’s next?
Brett Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brett Hoop For Your Post:
Unread 12-03-2020, 08:49 PM   #15
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Britton View Post
WoW Thats sweet ! Never seen case coloring on scope rings. Are they Warnen Rings ? Did you have that done ? Very nice. How does it shoot ?
The rings are Tally QD I had the colored with the rest of the metal. I got the gun within a couple of days of going west and had every intention of taking it. I had several test loads worked up and was off to the range. My first shots were at 25 yards just to check the bore sight. It was on and adjusted for elevation and windage. When I went to get the test loads the whole box fell on the ground. I had 20 rounds scattered and didn't have a clue as to what was what. Three rounds stayed in the box. 69grains of Reloader 19 and 165 gr Sierra BTSP. These cut holes at 25 yards. It was a beginning but when I got home I had no more powder The gun didn't make Wyoming but that load is under an inch at 100 yards. After deer season is over I'm going to try some 200 grain Accubonds.
I have another gun built of the number 1 action and a Winchester High Wall that are case colored as well.
Unread 12-03-2020, 08:56 PM   #16
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Brett I really hope nothing is next. I have a pre 64 M70 SG 300 H&H that could go down the road if something comes up but I've had a custom rifle done every year for the last 5-6 years and don't have the time to use what I have. I need to do more hunting and less building/buying. Last I looked there are 40 rifles capable of killing a deer and I use even the big guns like the 375's, 416, 405 Win, 450/400 on deer. Just load them appropriately. I'm looking into a Texas hunt for 2022. Should be all healed up by then
Unread 12-03-2020, 10:41 PM   #17
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,572 Times in 3,414 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
I love a single shot. It challenges the shooter to make that one shot count for you will rarely have time for a second well-placed shot.
By no means would I argue with that statement , however when you shoot #1’s a lot and often you’d be amazed how fast you can shoot hit catch empty reload and shoot well again . I think four or five times I’ve dumped a deer with a #1 then plunked a second one in 15-20 seconds . Picture below are two I plunked one day with a #1H in 375 H&H think it took about15-20 seconds total .
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg E6B6F92B-598B-4C08-B011-D3360455CAAE.jpeg (383.1 KB, 3 views)
Unread 12-04-2020, 07:21 AM   #18
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,263 Times in 12,387 Posts

I keep my extra rounds in an ammo band for quick access. I can shoot, eject, grab a fresh round, reload and shoot again with accuracy in about 10 seconds. I’ll look for my empties after the shooting’s done.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 6BBDD4D1-4DA8-4B6B-9404-0407680683DA.jpeg (163.4 KB, 3 views)

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 12-04-2020, 07:31 AM   #19
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

On the mule deer hunt I had my other custom #1 that gun chambered in 7MM/08. I got off three shots two of which were hits. I carry two extra rounds between between the fingers of my left had if I'm walking otherwise the spares are in my coat pocket. We stopped at Cabelas on our way west but they didn't have the ammo pouches that go on the stock.
As with anything practice makes perfect.
Unread 12-04-2020, 07:38 AM   #20
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Dean that's a nice #1. An earlier gun that looks to have a decent piece of wood on it. Once long ago I had a 7X57 in the AB, it had the 22 inch barrel but the larger forend. I bought it mostly because it has a great piece of wood in it. I recently bought one in 35 Whelan that was supposed to have A+ wood and gave a premium for it. It's better than average but not as nice as some.

Is your scope a 1.75X6 or 1.5X5? I have the latter on my 375 H&H but went with a 2.5X8 on the Whelan and a 405.