Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Damascus Barrels & Steel

Notices

Unread 10-25-2011, 08:21 PM   #11
Hammer Fan
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McCarty View Post
My question is, what constitutes "proper wadding"?
It would be any of the wads that are specifically designed to be used with the new types of shot (steel, tungsten...etc.). Any of the major reloading supply dealers will list a variety of wads they recommend for use with the new non toxic shots. They are generally made of a stronger plastic with thicker petals, to lessen the chances of the shot making contact with the barrel. Other things can be done to help prevent the shot from working between the petals of the wad and making contact with the barrel, such as placing a Mylar or Teflon wrap inside the wad before the shot is loaded.
Forrest Grilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2011, 09:01 PM   #12
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Preston View Post
A soid, strong plastic cup (like Black Cloud) that doesn't release the shot till it clears the muzzle. Black Cloud has a sort of parachute base that opens after it leaves the muzzle letting the shot move on; at least that's the theory. Chokes don't mean much as long as the wad can move through with little or no hinderance.
Aren't Black Cloud shells high pressure loads? Are you shooting them in a damascus gun?
Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2011, 05:32 AM   #13
Blind Dog
Forum Associate

Member Info

Yes, they must be high pressure with their advertised velocities. The only Parkers I use steel shot in have sleeved on, fluid steel barrels. One is a 12ga #2 fame VH with skeet chokes; the other is a 10ga #3 frame NH with tight chokes, but here I shoot 12ga shells through 3&1/2" Guage Mate inserts. I have shot 12ga bismuth in my Trojan and my GH with Special Steel barrels. I have not used anything but lead in a damascus or twist barrel. I mentioned Black Cloud wads as I have recovered some and they are heavy plastic with no slits or "petals" in the cup, only in the base to open when leaving the muzzle.
Fred Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2011, 02:15 PM   #14
Hammer Gun
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,668 Times in 1,642 Posts

I, Also have shot several hundred rounds of 3-1/2" Bismuth in my Ph 32" Steel barrel gun and the barrels are mirror bores, Now my shoulder was a little worse for wear!
Gary Carmichael Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2011, 05:58 PM   #15
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Preston View Post
Yes, they must be high pressure with their advertised velocities. The only Parkers I use steel shot in have sleeved on, fluid steel barrels. One is a 12ga #2 fame VH with skeet chokes; the other is a 10ga #3 frame NH with tight chokes, but here I shoot 12ga shells through 3&1/2" Guage Mate inserts. I have shot 12ga bismuth in my Trojan and my GH with Special Steel barrels. I have not used anything but lead in a damascus or twist barrel. I mentioned Black Cloud wads as I have recovered some and they are heavy plastic with no slits or "petals" in the cup, only in the base to open when leaving the muzzle.
The only fluid steel Parker that I own is my SBT and I only shoot target loads in it. It's a trap gun after all.

I would like to shoot non-toxic in my Sterlingworth. It's a 1929 gun. I think the tubes are stamped "Krupp steel". It's a Full and Modified gun. Was originally Full and Full. Standard grade. I have not shot steel in it. I haven't shot any kind non-toxic in it. I would like to however. I also bought a Spanish double that had a pretty good bulge about eight inches from the muzzle. Obviously shot with the old steel shells which did more to damage barrels than the new ones. The owner, who must have been a duck hunter, dumped the gun after he damaged it. I paid $450 for an engraved Spanish gun with green canvas case with a pimple in the left barrel. Had it removed and reblued. Also had the chokes opened to light full and modified.

Moral of the story? I'm nervous about shooting steel shells in any double. Not sure about tungsten, nice shot. I have not been able to find Bizmuth shells anywhere.

I had an old pre 855,000 Ithaca Model 37 12 threaded for screw in chokes. I shoot steel through it. It's IC choke protrudes about an inch and a half from the muzzle. I would not hesitate to shoot Black Cloud through it, but have yet to do so.
Unread 01-14-2012, 08:29 PM   #16
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Can I take it then that no one has a problem shooting Black Cloud shells through an old "liquid" steel gun, such as a Sterlingworth?
Unread 01-15-2012, 12:13 AM   #17
Holeshot
PGCA Member

Member Info

My thoery is lower velocity means lower preassure. These new high velocity shells make me nervious so I look for older production steel shot shells. Dave
David Holes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2012, 10:04 AM   #18
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,365 Posts

I believe all factory ammo whether lead or steel is high pressure close to SAAMI maximum and it is done to insure reliability in gas operated autoloading shotguns.

I am not engineer but I also believe the thick plastic wads used in steel shells is to prevent scoring the barrel. I don't think it fully protects from the potential of choke bulging/rib loosening as the steel pellets are not going to give as much as lead as they shift when entering the constriction.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2012, 12:57 PM   #19
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

I wonder if the non-toxic shot requirement is really doing any good for the duck population. I mean, are they worth the effort? Or is it just another ploy by the left to make things harder and more expensive for hunters and shooters?
Unread 01-15-2012, 06:35 PM   #20
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,597 Times in 1,550 Posts

The ducks, and our old guns would have been better off if the law required that we use lead shot with some sort of premium stamp (about equal to the steel shot vs. lead premium) and that incremental revenue being applied to purchse and maintence of habitat, but, unfortunatley, that ain't going to ever happen. Too rational.
John Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote