Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 12-30-2018, 06:10 PM   #11
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,309 Times in 1,218 Posts

Which Askins are we dissing? The cited Outdoor Life article was written by Major Askins in 1935. Capt Askins was the noted shotgunner and as far as I know he topped out at Captain rank.
Frank Srebro is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2018, 06:40 PM   #12
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

Condition (originality) is king. Gauge is next in importance of value and maybe is exceeded by grade in certain situations. Provenance adds some interest but rarely does it increase value.

IMHO.
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Robin Lewis For Your Post:
Unread 12-30-2018, 07:20 PM   #13
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,833 Times in 2,362 Posts

Apparently Charles Askins, Sr. was promoted to Major circa 1933. He is called Captain Charles Askins, Gun Editor of Outdoor Life into the 1933 Ithaca Gun Co. catalog. By the 1934 Ithaca Gun Co. catalog he is called Major Charles Askins, Gun Editor of Outdoor Life. He is called Major Askins in Elmer Keith's 1950 shotgun book as he is listed in the header of this column.
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dave Noreen For Your Post:
Unread 12-30-2018, 07:26 PM   #14
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,309 Times in 1,218 Posts

Thanks Dave, that clears it up.
Frank Srebro is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2018, 07:39 PM   #15
John Davis
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,300 Times in 1,237 Posts

Question: Does provenance add value?

Answer: Depends on who the buyer is.

"Oh Christ, just shoot the damn thing."
Destry L. Hoffard
John Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to John Davis For Your Post:
Unread 12-30-2018, 08:19 PM   #16
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,790 Times in 3,967 Posts

what i find interesting is having that 3 1/2 inch chambered gun changed to 2 7/8 chambers...was it because of recoil or did the 2 7/8 chambers pattern better or what....i know major askins wanted to hunt with a 8 gauge with 2 3/4 ounce loads...but since they out lawed the 8 gauge for waterfowl he was partly the one who helped get the 3 1/2 inch 10 ga gun be made from ithaca in 1932 or so.....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 12-30-2018, 08:25 PM   #17
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,790 Times in 3,967 Posts

i read the chamber lentgh wrong it was 3 1/4 inch chambers....odd length for sure....but why shorten the chambers.....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2018, 08:26 PM   #18
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,833 Times in 2,362 Posts

I see by reading the article, Askins had the gun shortened and rebored by Gladstone Blake Crandall of Woodstock, Ontario, Canada. Crandall was a gunsmith who had worked at the Tobin Fire Arms Manufacturing Co., Ltd. factory in Woodstock. From the end of The Great War until he retired in 1950 he advertised himself as "successor to Tobin Arms" and continued to assemble Tobin guns from parts. He also heavily advertised his "Super-bore" reboring shotgun barrels work. Seems like he was a Stan Baker of his day.

Crandall received a U.S. patent for a rifle sight in 1907. He is probably best known for his varmint rifles, getting a lot of press in C.S. Landis' book Twenty-Two Caliber Varmint Rifles.
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Noreen For Your Post:
Unread 12-30-2018, 09:45 PM   #19
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,571 Times in 3,077 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Noreen View Post
Apparently Charles Askins, Sr. was promoted to Major circa 1933. He is called Captain Charles Askins, Gun Editor of Outdoor Life into the 1933 Ithaca Gun Co. catalog. By the 1934 Ithaca Gun Co. catalog he is called Major Charles Askins, Gun Editor of Outdoor Life. He is called Major Askins in Elmer Keith's 1950 shotgun book as he is listed in the header of this column.
Dave,

Aren't there two gun "experts" named Askins -- father and son? This article was by the son, yes?
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2018, 09:53 PM   #20
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,571 Times in 3,077 Posts

OK, now I think this was the father...

I found this in a post regarding influential gun writers (for what that's worth).

"There were actually two gunwriters by the name of Charles Askins, one being Askins Sr. and the other Askins Jr. The elder was one of the foremost authorities on shotguns and wingshooting, as well as a Major in the US Army and eventually the shooting editor of "Outdoor Life." The younger Askins...had a much more colorful career. Charles Askins, Jr. started his career with a 10-year stint in the US Border Patrol, stationed on the US-Mexico border, at the same time as Bill Jordan. The border in the 1930s was a lively place, and he had some lively times; agents were involved in a gunfight every ten days on average. Askins Jr. was also quite the competitive shooter, winning a national championship and later being the chief instructor for the USBP in pistol shooting. He also went on to have a long career in the US Army, seeing action in World War II, the Korean war and also as a military advisor in the early days of the Vietnam conflict. He was also an avid hunter, having hunted on nearly every continent...though he insisted to the end of his days that his favorite quarry was bobwhite quail. Like Jordan, his experience and skill with a handgun in a combat setting were second to none, though he preferred something akin to Cooper's front sight press rather than point shooting. His articles in various magazines, including "American Rifleman" and others, were full of folksy wisdom, bits of Tejano slang and more than a little good advice on matters of concealed carry for citizens and officers alike, as well as on shooting and fighting guns. Askins is a controversial figure, and his autobiography "Unrepentant Sinner" reveals deeds that would almost certainly lead to a prison sentence today. He was, however, a man of a different time and like him or not, the man knew how to keep alive in a firefight.. Continue reading at: http://gunbelts.com/blog/9-gunwriters-you-should-be-aware-of/"
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: