Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Damascus Barrels & Steel

Notices

SB&C Tubes on non-Parkers
Unread 04-15-2014, 05:31 PM   #1
Greg Miller CTGunLaw
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default SB&C Tubes on non-Parkers

A local dealer today took in a gun collection that included a "wallhanger". As it cannot be fired he gave it to me. The gun has the dangerous old twist barrels.

It is sadly not a Parker, but oddly it is quite well made and appears to be unfired. A 10ga NR Davis made in about 1890 in Accosset MA. The wood is per period lit imported walnut and it is quite nice. The barrels are British twist (SB&CO marked). A top-lever side-lock hammer gun with no signs of restoration or ever having been subject to corrosion. Case color is all there, a 100+ year old new gun, with decent dimensions.

I know this company would later bring in some really cheap Belgian guns, but this gun was made in MA. Not a Parker, but compared to an LC Smith of similar grade it compares favorably. Odd as I have never heard of quality guns from this company, but having an unmolested example, it is not bad. Dealer looked dubious when I told him I intend to shoot it with light loads.

Any information on SB&CO. I know Fox also used twist from this source.
Gregory Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Gregory Miller's homepage!
Unread 04-15-2014, 06:12 PM   #2
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,854 Times in 4,747 Posts

Fox used fluid steel from that source. The early N.R. Davis guns are wonderful, high quality guns. Could you post pictures of your new gun?
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2014, 07:00 PM   #3
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Posted by Dr. Drew on another forum

"Their S.B. & Co. mark is also found on Ithaca Flues & NID, Fox Sterlingworth, and N.R. Davis & Sons shotguns; the 'P' may be their Pittsburgh works.
Sanderson used the brand name "Sanderson Bros. & Co." and was one of 13 companies that formed Crucible Steel Co. of America July 21, 1901, with headquarters in Pittsburgh. Sanderson then became Sanderson Brothers Steel Works."
Unread 04-15-2014, 07:47 PM   #4
Greg Miller CTGunLaw
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default couple of pics

sorry have not even wiped off the old oils. Just picked it up. Looks to be serial number 14 and a 3d gen top lever? Can see 14 on the forend lug, the water-table and also on the forend and other places. If that is the serial number I guess the gun would be from 1890. There is a large lug that goes through the frame and an underbolt, so quite a strong locking system by the looks of it. Look forward to getting the locks off and seeing how they arranged them.

The quality is not Parker, but it is pretty good given that these guns seem to pop up for a couple of hundred dollars in good condition, on face with decent bores. If they are safe to shoot, there are worse things in the world than a 10ga hammer gun with 30" tubes for the price of a good dinner.

Also, this was their basic gun. There are higher grade guns with various grades of Damascus, and I would think those would be the ones to put aside if one should find one at the right price.

As per above dealer gave me this one as it is in his words it is a Wall Hanger. If everything checks out ok, I intend to load up some smokey old black pounder cartridges, maybe in some brass cases, and have some fun with it.

Not an investment, but good fun and American Made.

Meanwhile need to get the barrels re-finished on a GH12 I have been working on from 1890. Gun has lovely balance, nice engraving and I expect that will be spending a lot of time with me in the field. When I get it done I will post it. Was in rough shape cosmetically, but a nice gun and enjoy bringing it back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo2.JPG (126.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg photo4.JPG (287.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (64.7 KB, 7 views)
Unread 04-15-2014, 08:34 PM   #5
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,789 Times in 3,967 Posts

nice old gun for sure..wish i had a truck load of them wall hangers..i f the rest of them guns are half as good as the one he gave you he ll have some nice guns....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 04-15-2014, 09:07 PM   #6
Drew Hause
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,251 Posts

More infro here
http://docs.google.com/a/damascuskno...eFell8GsAWd-KI

I have never seen a pattern welded barrel with the Sanderson mark, and it looks more like the (similar) SB&Co of Samuel Buckley & Co.

and N.R. Davis http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/23181554
Drew Hause is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drew Hause For Your Post:
Visit Drew Hause's homepage!
pics of barrels
Unread 04-15-2014, 09:11 PM   #7
Greg Miller CTGunLaw
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default pics of barrels

Look's like twist to me. But as to whether this mark is Samuel Buckley & Co, I defer to your expertise. Was Samuel Buckley a barrel Maker. Seems like whomever it was produced barrels for both Fox, Davis and others. And, I see references to that Sanderson had a US Office. But, as I do not have the book of British Marks appreciate any insight. A bit off topic but anytime we can identify a damascus or twist barrel I guess that information is useful to our historical understanding.

Now just need some of those smokey 10ga black powder shells. I am sure it would be fine with RST, but the smokey ones are so much more fun to shoot. ;-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg twist.JPG (146.5 KB, 3 views)
Unread 04-15-2014, 09:34 PM   #8
Drew Hause
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,251 Posts

Yes, the barrels are Twist, and it is likely the 'rough forged tubes' were sourced in Belgium, and Samuel Buckley was the import agent.
The mark may also appear on Damascus and steel barrel Lefevers

Drew Hause is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Drew Hause's homepage!