Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Pre-Christmas Pheasants
Unread 12-18-2011, 06:13 PM   #1
Pheasant Slayer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Pre-Christmas Pheasants

Planned a hunt with two co-workers at Markover Hunting Preserve for this morning. Just not ready to get out of the field just yet. I was very impressed with their operation. Great guides and some very fast birds! When you first arrive they have a hunting lodge were you are greeted with hot coffee and some donuts and a roaring fire from a fieldstone fireplace. Very warm and welcome feeling. While inside the lodge, our guide went over the plan for our hunt. He told us to gear up and he would be back in a minute to pick us up in a four wheel ATV. We headed out into the field with two dogs, my Springer Spaniel, "Benny" and a co-workers young lab, Jake. This is Jake's only second time in the field, so he is learning. Once in the field, Benny put up the first bird of the day whose flight was cut short by my Parker. It continued this way for the next four birds in which my one of my co-workers had the chance to take one of the birds. I decided to step back and work with "Steve" who was having difficultly connecting. I told him to stay with Benny and watch him. I told him when you see that tail wagging out of control and that nose on the ground, get ready. Just before a mid morning break, Jake put up his first rooster of the day whose flight was also cut short my his owner. Then back to the lodge for some coffee and that nice field stone fireplace. While warming we talked about the first half of our hunt. I want to point out, it was a cold morning, low twenties. At one point my hands were so cold I could not feel my finger tips, even with shooting gloves. My hands seem to have a process they go through, warm.. cold.. then they get warm again and I am fine for the day.. After about a half hour break, out we went. One of my friends, Steve still did not get a bird. I handed him a few Spreader loads and told him, "put these in your gun". Once back in the field, his luck improved. He took the next three birds. Jake was also catching on to his job. He put up several roosters and a hen. It was just a great time. We ended up with sixteen birds between the three of us. I do recommend this place, as I will be going back again! At no time did I feel I was being rushed. This is a family owned business handed down over the generations. They also do thousand bird tower shoots...Thanks Dave S. for recommending this preserve!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1050817.jpg (562.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg P1050821.jpg (495.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg P1050822.jpg (505.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg P1050824.jpg (525.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg P1050832.jpg (529.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg P1050833.jpg (541.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg P1050841.jpg (563.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg P1050846.jpg (552.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg P1050857.jpg (573.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg P1050862.jpg (545.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg P1050863.jpg (537.5 KB, 2 views)
William Maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to William Maynard For Your Post:
Visit William Maynard's homepage!
Unread 12-18-2011, 06:49 PM   #2
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,063 Times in 1,729 Posts

Bill, I am so glad you guys had a great time. I always worry when I recommend a place to someone. I just want you to have the same experience that I have had there in the past. A bunch of us talked about getting up there this year but so far we havnt been able to put it together. Maybe after the holidays...

I told you they had good strong birds for pen raised....
Unread 12-18-2011, 06:50 PM   #3
StubTwist
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,601 Times in 483 Posts

Looks like you had a great time Bill. Markover is a really nice place. I plan on going again the last week of December.
Frank Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Cronin For Your Post:
Unread 12-18-2011, 07:10 PM   #4
Pheasant Slayer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Suponski View Post
Bill, I am so glad you guys had a great time. I always worry when I recommend a place to someone. I just want you to have the same experience that I have had there in the past. A bunch of us talked about getting up there this year but so far we havnt been able to put it together. Maybe after the holidays...

I told you they had good strong birds for pen raised....
Dave, Thank you! No need to worry, Great Call..What a great experience. My first time on a preserve. Let me know if you plan on putting something together.. I will gladly go again!. After the holidays though. Santa is stuck in my chimney and I need to pay to get him out!
The Following User Says Thank You to William Maynard For Your Post:
Unread 12-18-2011, 07:41 PM   #5
Pheasant Slayer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Cronin View Post
Looks like you had a great time Bill. Markover is a really nice place. I plan on going again the last week of December.
I am interested in your experience at Markover..
Unread 12-18-2011, 09:27 PM   #6
StubTwist
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,601 Times in 483 Posts

I echo everything that you said. Nice atmosphere, really nice people and staff. The lodge is very nice. They have grills if you have a large group so you can cook up some lunch. It wasn't that cold when I went though so no fire. Our day starts off in the morning with breakfast in downtown Danielson at George's Galley.

Spreader loads for a tight choked gun or open chokes, IC / MOD is all you need here for these pen raised birds.

Would be a nice place for a PGCA get-together.
Frank Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2011, 04:10 PM   #7
10 bore
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,528 Times in 821 Posts

ok, where is it or did my bad eyes not see it in the post. thanks scott
scott kittredge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2011, 04:11 PM   #8
Pheasant Slayer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
I echo everything that you said. Nice atmosphere, really nice people and staff. The lodge is very nice. They have grills if you have a large group so you can cook up some lunch. It wasn't that cold when I went though so no fire. Our day starts off in the morning with breakfast in downtown Danielson at George's Galley.

Spreader loads for a tight choked gun or open chokes, IC / MOD is all you need here for these pen raised birds.

Yes it would be a great place for a PGA get together. As for the Spreader loads I am well aware of their use for tight choked guns. What I failed to mention in my post was my co-worker has screw in chokes for his shotgun. He did not change it. He was shooting full choke.
Unread 12-19-2011, 04:30 PM   #9
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,063 Times in 1,729 Posts

Scott, Markover is in Danielson,CT The extreme northeast corner of the state between Mass.Rhode Island and CT Not real far from Addieville...
Unread 12-19-2011, 05:16 PM   #10
10 bore
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,528 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:

well, could we have a PGCA shoot there, if so count me in!!
scott kittredge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scott kittredge For Your Post: