Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums New User Introductions

Notices

New Member in Texas
Unread 09-12-2017, 08:39 PM   #1
Scott Chapman
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default New Member in Texas

Howdy!

I joined PGCA a few months back and have been actively lurking. I was born a CT Yankee, but was transplanted in Texas as a child.

I grew up hunting and fishing on the Texas Coast, but was always intrigued by the stories I heard from my father and grandfather about grouse and woodcock hunting in New England. Evidently my Dad's extended family was from the Meridan CT area. They hunted around New England, had English setters and were members of the Quinnipiac Rod and Gun Club.

Upon graduation from high school in 1984, my grandfather presented me (the oldest grandson and most avid outdoorman) with his 16 gauge Trojan in a Redhead leg-o-mutton case. It was the last shotgun he owned. Grandpa told me that his older brother, Romaine, had bought the gun used for him from Charlie Parker for $19 sometime in the late 20's. Supposedly Uncle Romaine and Charlie Parker were hunting buddies. My Dad's Uncle Romaine allegedly had a beautiful collection of Parkers that were liquidated after his death, much to the chagrin of my Dad and Grandpa.

In his younger days, Grandpa played professional hockey and didn't have a lot of money, however he did get to travel with the hockey team. He carried that Trojan around with him and was able to hunt pheasants in the mid-west and geese and ducks in Maryland. The old Trojan got a ding in the barrel when it fell over and hit a rock when my Grandpa was crossing a fence. He said the gun was unloaded at the time, but the dent remained to him as a continuous reminder to be safe while handling guns.

Over the years, I have shot Grandpa's old gun a few times. Not knowing any better when I was in college I even committed the sacrilege of shooting a few ducks using steel shot. Since finding the PGCA, I have found an outlet to nourish my desire to learn more about Parker shotguns. I was always afraid that I would damage the old gal or that it would be damaged if I shot it regularly. Through this site I found a gunsmith who lives close by specializes in old s x s. He looked over the Trojan, lifted the dent from the barrel and recommended RST ammo. She's now the favorite gun of her fourth generation of shooters. With four boys, I am going to have to get busy finding some "new" family heirlooms.

Attachment 56799
Scott Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2017, 08:41 PM   #2
Scott Chapman
PGCA Member

Member Info

jake parker.jpg
Unread 09-12-2017, 09:17 PM   #3
Jacob Duke
Forum Associate

Member Info

That's a great family heirloom! Welcome to the forum.
Jacob Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2017, 10:14 PM   #4
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Welcome to the PGCA Scott!

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Heirloom
Unread 09-12-2017, 11:32 PM   #5
davidboyles
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Heirloom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Chapman View Post
Howdy!

I joined PGCA a few months back and have been actively lurking. I was born a CT Yankee, but was transplanted in Texas as a child.

I grew up hunting and fishing on the Texas Coast, but was always intrigued by the stories I heard from my father and grandfather about grouse and woodcock hunting in New England. Evidently my Dad's extended family was from the Meridan CT area. They hunted around New England, had English setters and were members of the Quinnipiac Rod and Gun Club.

Upon graduation from high school in 1984, my grandfather presented me (the oldest grandson and most avid outdoorman) with his 16 gauge Trojan in a Redhead leg-o-mutton case. It was the last shotgun he owned. Grandpa told me that his older brother, Romaine, had bought the gun used for him from Charlie Parker for $19 sometime in the late 20's. Supposedly Uncle Romaine and Charlie Parker were hunting buddies. My Dad's Uncle Romaine allegedly had a beautiful collection of Parkers that were liquidated after his death, much to the chagrin of my Dad and Grandpa.

In his younger days, Grandpa played professional hockey and didn't have a lot of money, however he did get to travel with the hockey team. He carried that Trojan around with him and was able to hunt pheasants in the mid-west and geese and ducks in Maryland. The old Trojan got a ding in the barrel when it fell over and hit a rock when my Grandpa was crossing a fence. He said the gun was unloaded at the time, but the dent remained to him as a continuous reminder to be safe while handling guns.

Over the years, I have shot Grandpa's old gun a few times. Not knowing any better when I was in college I even committed the sacrilege of shooting a few ducks using steel shot. Since finding the PGCA, I have found an outlet to nourish my desire to learn more about Parker shotguns. I was always afraid that I would damage the old gal or that it would be damaged if I shot it regularly. Through this site I found a gunsmith who lives close by specializes in old s x s. He looked over the Trojan, lifted the dent from the barrel and recommended RST ammo. She's now the favorite gun of her fourth generation of shooters. With four boys, I am going to have to get busy finding some "new" family heirlooms.

Attachment 56799
Scott I was born and raised in Houston for 68 years moved to Wimberley 2 years ago and love the Hill Country. What a great history on your Parker . I suggest writing that down to pass on with the gun someday so that special history will be remembered. It is a special treasure. Joined the Parker bunch several years ago never looked back. Welcome you'll find plenty of friends here.
davidboyles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to davidboyles For Your Post:
Unread 09-12-2017, 11:43 PM   #6
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,306 Times in 4,411 Posts

Welcome Scott!
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2017, 06:19 AM   #7
stumpstalker
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,347 Times in 673 Posts

Thanks for the report on the your Gun and Hunting-influenced background, family and the retained Trojan. These vintage firearms remain both beautiful, practical and actually sought-after (unlike most objects that we or our forebears spent a lot of hard-earned money on). Additionally, they are infinite to inquiry and discovery (helps keep me out of bar-rooms, anyway).

Sorry about the collection of family Parkers that got away; but, that they are "still out there", just adds to the mystique.

Additional info on the Trojan, dimensions, chokes and close-up photos would be appreciated.

The inter-generational field photograph is a really nice.
Russell E. Cleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2017, 08:29 AM   #8
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,925 Times in 1,410 Posts

Great gun and family history.
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2017, 12:30 AM   #9
Scott Chapman
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidboyles View Post
Scott I was born and raised in Houston for 68 years moved to Wimberley 2 years ago and love the Hill Country. What a great history on your Parker . I suggest writing that down to pass on with the gun someday so that special history will be remembered. It is a special treasure. Joined the Parker bunch several years ago never looked back. Welcome you'll find plenty of friends here.
Thanks David! I live just west of you a bit near Kerrville. I believe that I may have read about some of your adventures "back in the day" with a certain outdoor writer. I moved out to the Hill Country 17 years ago and never looked back.
Unread 09-14-2017, 01:47 AM   #10
Mike Franzen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,361 Times in 1,310 Posts

Scott, welcome aboard. That's s great story about your uncle and Charlie Parker. Any pics of the two of them together?
Mike Franzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mike Franzen's homepage!