Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 09-11-2017, 06:43 PM   #11
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,543 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Hicks View Post
It includes a photo where you can see some of one side of the original instruction and care tag that came with the gun. It must be a generic tag included with both hammerless and hammer guns as you can see in in big bold letters: "IT DOES NO HARM TO SNAP HAMMERS DOWN ON PARKER GUNS WHEN NOT LOADED. SNAP THEM ALL YOU PLEASE." Of course the subject Trojan is a hammerless gun.
That tag came with every new "Hammerless" Parker, and what the tag is referring to as "HAMMERS" are internal to the frame. There really is no such thing as a hammerless Parker.
edgarspencer is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2017, 07:03 AM   #12
Hixie
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarspencer View Post
That tag came with every new "Hammerless" Parker, and what the tag is referring to as "HAMMERS" are internal to the frame. There really is no such thing as a hammerless Parker.
I am sure you are correct and Mr. Day alluded to that in a previous post as well. It was interesting to read a previous segment on the card that said in large bold capital letters: "HAMMERS SHOULD NEVER BE LET DOWN ON LOADED SHELLS IN ANY GUN." I don't see how you could do that with internal hammers except to fire it, so I figured the statements pertained to hammer guns.

The next segment on the card read: "The Parker Gun is a much safer gun to use than any gun in which the hammers may be let down on loaded shells and was designed with special reference to safety on this particular point." This must be Parker's assertion that their guns with internal hammers are much safer to use than external hammer guns. I guess the addition of the safety on hammerless guns is relevant here.

Since I have no real experience with Parker hammer guns, do I assume from this that Parker hammer guns do not have a half-cock safe position?
Ted Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2017, 07:35 AM   #13
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,227 Times in 12,373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Hicks View Post

The next segment on the card read: "The Parker Gun is a much safer gun to use than any gun in which the hammers may be let down on loaded shells and was designed with special reference to safety on this particular point." This must be Parker's assertion that their guns with internal hammers are much safer to use than external hammer guns. I guess the addition of the safety on hammerless guns is relevant here.

Since I have no real experience with Parker hammer guns, do I assume from this that Parker hammer guns do not have a half-cock safe position?
Those statements made by Parker are, I believe, largely in reference to Parker's rebounding hammers. Not a 'half cock' per se as that is only as reliable as the handler of the gun, but rebounding hammers will always keep the hammers off of the plungers and away from the primers.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2017, 09:09 AM   #14
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,543 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Those statements made by Parker are, I believe, largely in reference to Parker's rebounding hammers. Not a 'half cock' per se as that is only as reliable as the handler of the gun, but rebounding hammers will always keep the hammers off of the plungers and away from the primers.
Additionally, when the hammer rebounds, it is necessary to squeeze the trigger, to raise the sear away from the tumbler, in order for the hammer to go back into contact with the firing pins, or plungers. The rebounded position and sear engagement is exactly like a half-cock sear/tumbler position.
edgarspencer is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2017, 11:46 AM   #15
Hixie
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarspencer View Post
Additionally, when the hammer rebounds, it is necessary to squeeze the trigger, to raise the sear away from the tumbler, in order for the hammer to go back into contact with the firing pins, or plungers. The rebounded position and sear engagement is exactly like a half-cock sear/tumbler position.
So if I understand correctly, as long as the hammer is in the rebounded position, any accidental impact on the hammer won't result in an accidental discharge...that's quite a clever design.

If while in the middle of cocking one of the hammers, it should accidentally slip, is it still blocked from striking the firing pin or plunger? I assume so as long as the trigger is not depressed?
Ted Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote