Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 03-15-2017, 06:18 PM   #11
bob weeman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks for all the advice! I think I will try shortening some shells...maybe be some Blue dot loads which use a lot more powder. The harder shot and mylar wrap are worth some experimentation too. Sure is fun experimenting with these short tens....
bob weeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2017, 07:47 PM   #12
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,790 Times in 3,967 Posts

seems like the mylar wrap does really well with large shot such as bbs and no 2 shot in the 8 ga should work well in the 10 ga also....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2017, 10:22 PM   #13
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,679 Times in 870 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Lester View Post
Putting a filler wad on top of the shot has the opposite effect the OP is trying to achieve as it creates a spreader load. I don't know if Flax seed would have the same effect but I would put it on the pattern paper.
I don't think HEVI-SHOT would use it if it caused the pattern to spread. They use it in all of their Hevi-metal and Hevi-steel loads, and I get great patterns out of full chokes using the Hevi-metal shells. I personally believe that if the shot is all contained within the shot cup, the pattern cannot be affected by something as flimsy as flax seed which will be blow away by the shot coming out. I believe it will disintegrate immediately. I've shot hundreds of rounds of it. I feel confident it has been proven by them.

Take a look at their cutaway drawing.

https://www.hevishot.com/catalog/hevi-metal/
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jerry Harlow For Your Post:
Unread 03-15-2017, 10:28 PM   #14
StubTwist
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,601 Times in 483 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Harlow View Post
I don't think HEVI-SHOT would use it if it caused the pattern to spread. They us it in all of their Hevi-metal and Hevi-steel loads, and I get great patterns out of full chokes using the Hevi-metal shells. I personally believe that if the shot is all contained within the shot cup, the pattern cannot be affected by something as flimsy as flax seed which will be blow away by the shot coming out. I believe it will disintegrate immediately. I've shot hundreds of rounds of it. I feel confident it has been proven by them.

Take a look at their cutaway drawing.

https://www.hevishot.com/catalog/hevi-metal/
Thanks for sharing. I'm always learning something new on this board.
Frank Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2017, 09:27 AM   #15
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

what does a box of this cost jerry i guess you mostly use this on ducks and such..charlie
Unread 03-16-2017, 10:11 AM   #16
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,679 Times in 870 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
what does a box of this cost jerry i guess you mostly use this on ducks and such..charlie
Charlie,

The Hevi-metal which is a combination of Hevi-shot and steel costs about $32 a box in 3 1/2" 12 gauge. The 3" shells are about $27 a box. I use pure Hevi-shot for turkeys, but I can't afford $4.50+ a shell for geese where I might shoot a half of a box on a good day. Even if I reload 1 1/2 ounces of all Hevi-shot or HeavyWeight 13 which is similar, it costs me nearly $3 a shell. To me it is not worth the time to do it when the Hevi-metal seems to work well on geese for $1.35 a shell. It shows a mixture of half Hevi-shot and half steel, but it comes out at 1500 fps which I can't reload since I don't have the formula.
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2017, 12:06 PM   #17
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

I don't think flax seed would effect patterns but too thick a card over the shot will. A normal OS card is .028. Circle Fly offered a card twice that thick for use in brass shells claiming they don't have to be glued in like the thin ones. All they did was blow a hole in the center of my patterns and really didn't stay in to well. I went back to the .028 cards.
Unread 03-19-2017, 08:49 AM   #18
Carl G. Bachhuber
PGCA Member

Member Info

How about 10 ga. card over-powder wads under the SP10 wad? I have tried this in the past with no obvious bad results. At one time I had some 10 ga. plastic op wads but they are long gone. You will have to spend some time at the patterning board!
C.G.B.
Carl G. Bachhuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2017, 01:32 PM   #19
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

i too have used over powder wads then theplastic wad works great in the 8 ga and 10 ga..i m sure it would work well over the other ga s too....charlie