Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Single Barrel Trap Shotguns

Notices

Unread 12-16-2014, 04:22 PM   #11
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,958 Times in 1,417 Posts

Mike, the answer is NO. Maybe Murphy or McCormack may know if Miller ever made a release.

It would be interesting to actually inspect the release parts to see if they have the S/N on them or any name.
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2014, 04:30 PM   #12
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,851 Times in 4,747 Posts

I don't know if Miller made a release trigger. You might ask the people at the Miller Single Trigger Company.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2014, 08:47 AM   #13
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,516 Times in 4,619 Posts

I think the question of putting the gun back to a conventional trigger is more dependant on what exactly is in the gun now. We don't know if it is a Parker installed deal or some aftermarket modification. If it is Parker, I am in no way familiar with the design, and I doubt that many others are, if in fact it exists.

As long as no major modifications were done to the gun's trigger plate, it should be able to be put back. And I am sure that modifying the operation of the existing setup is an option too.
Unread 12-26-2014, 02:49 PM   #14
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,524 Times in 3,400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Bishop View Post
Bill, that's funny right there! I already have a SBT but it sure would be nice to be able to shoot it with a release left handed. I've shot trap with a release for 30+ years left handed. Switching back to right handed pull is not something that is easy to do once your used to a release. If I shoot trap right handed pull, I flinch 90% of the time. I wish my bank account is as big as you think it is
You have my sympathy ! I tried shooting a friends Perazzi TM1 20+ years ago with a release trigger ! I think when I uh released the thing I shot 6-12 feet over the bird .
CraigThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2015, 02:17 PM   #15
Frank Culbertson
Forum Associate

Member Info

My SBT has a release in it, otherwise I would have passed on the gun! To those that mock the need for a release, you should only flinch badly several times to slowly embrace the release. I shot doubles for years with a release/pull, just recently went to double release, it took two rounds to "master" I don't even think about setting the trigger for the second shot now.....it AINT that hard to learn!
Unread 02-13-2015, 04:11 PM   #16
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Frank is correct, it doesn't take long to get used to it assuming it's a quality release that is adjusted properly and doesn't pull through meaning that when you pull the trigger to set it, the gun fires. If that happens, all you think about when you set the trigger again is is it going to pull through. It scares the heck out of you when it does this. No problem as long as your gun is pointed down range.

Think about it, you tense up the muscles your hand and finger to pull the trigger but relax your hand and finger muscles to release it. Problem is for most people, the brain get's used to it and switching back to a pull trigger is a challenge.
Unread 02-14-2015, 01:05 PM   #17
TOOL MAN
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,921 Times in 421 Posts

Arch Bishop,

Trap Shooters are indeed a strange breed!! I'm paralyzed and sweaty just listening to your instruction manual!!!
Unread 02-14-2015, 02:13 PM   #18
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanks for your comment Fool Man. Ops, I'm not a good typist, I meant to type Tool Man but hit the wrong key! Anytime I can help you, just call
Unread 02-25-2015, 02:21 PM   #19
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,256 Times in 1,129 Posts

If I was still shooting trap, I would LOVE to have a Parker SBT with a release trigger!
I shot an Allem's trigger in my Perazzi on live birds, and a release on a Beretta 391 on sporting clays, for years.
The need for a release is mostly brought on by high volume shooting on repetitive targets. (think trap)
Ironically, I never used a release back when I shot trap. I went to a release on sporting clays to smooth out my game, which it did. It took about 25 shots to master, and added an average of 3 targets per 100 to my game, which was enough to make a difference in quite a few shoots.
I haven't shot any competitive targets in about 5 years, but I can switch back and forth between release/pull/ and double triggers with no problems.
A great example of the effectiveness of the release trigger; My old buddy, Don Criswell, struggled with a flinch for years. Sometimes it was painfull to watch him shoot. He switched to a Beretta 391 and a release trigger, and shot straight up to Master's Class in no time.
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2015, 10:08 PM   #20
John Farrell, Charter Member #33
Forum Associate

Member Info

I'm going to send my SBT out tomorrow to Phillips Gunsmithing for a release. After developing a bad flinch on the trap line, I've been on a release for 5 years. I'm selling the trap gun and will still need a release. The price I've been quoted is $275.
John Farrell is offline   Reply With Quote