Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums Website & Forum - Help & Assistance

Notices

Unread 01-24-2010, 04:55 PM   #11
Greg S. Phillips
PGCA Member

Member Info

I have a VH 20 gauge with a simmons rib that was owned by a Mr. Flaim, I think an associate of Oscar Gaddy. Anyone seen many Parker with thsi aftermarket rib? such a pretty gun, but the rib weighs things down alot.
Greg S. Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2010, 11:48 PM   #12
Jim Beilke
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks Francis, We will check this out and perhaps put in a bid. Jim
Jim Beilke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2010, 02:23 PM   #13
Drew Hause
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 3,761 Times in 1,245 Posts

Look what I found c. 1964

Drew Hause is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Drew Hause's homepage!
Unread 02-22-2010, 09:52 PM   #14
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

That was a fair piece of change in '64. I know because I bought a brand-new Stevens 20ga. pump with an adjustable choke and a pad in '64 for $65 which was about all I could muster up at the time. I was sixteen at the time.

That looks like a pretty nice little gun!
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
$175.00 in 1964- Yup--sure was!!
Unread 02-22-2010, 10:17 PM   #15
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default $175.00 in 1964- Yup--sure was!!

I was stationed at Lejeune in 1964- bought a new Browning A-5 light 12 (8 lbs.) 28" Mod. vent rib barrel at the base PX with a case for $125.00 --We had a fairly active base skeet and trap range, plus dove and duck hunting in season. I kept it in the Armory and checked it out with the Duty Officer when I was going hunting- usually off base on weekends..

One of the civilian base employees bought one of those "Quails Fargo" 20 bores- most of the clay birds and shells came from Front Royal, VA- big supplier up there back then- Believe they were a Stevens-Fox action with the Simmons patented ventilated rib. Nice little bird gun indeed. I had that old "Hump-Backed" Browning for years, finally a duck hunting pal kept offering me $ for it and I sold it to him- he's still shooting it yet today, but with the steel shot regs. he sent the barrel to Brileys and had choke tubes installed.

If memory serves, I believe the late Gene Hill wrote about a sweet little Greener 16 bore he owned, with 24" barrels. I have no idea what a fair market value a VG condition Quails Fargo 20 bore would fetch today, doubt if many were made or sold, sort of like the Winchester M59 with the fiberglas barrel-a bit of a departure from the "usual" I guess!!
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 11:51 AM   #16
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,780 Times in 4,716 Posts

Francis, the supplier in Front Royal was famous hunter and competition shooter Kenny Haig, and his company is/was Front Royal Supply. He was my Smith and Wesson, Remington wholesale outlet for many years. He was the PPG outlet for that part of the country, a real plum distributorship. When I was less than a pup, I bought my first S&W from him, a Highway Patrolman for $69.00 new. I remember him taking my money and asking me if I minded not getting a proper receipt. I was about sixteen years old but had known Ken for some time.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 10-24-2010, 09:31 PM   #17
Don Dabro
Forum Associate

Member Info

I had a "DAKIN"12GA./26"/ WORM BEAD/ with amazingly nice wood/ and "hunted the feathers" off of it. It was about 1962-65. And loved it. One day, before season, at a "rival-gun-club", walked up to shoot 1st TRAP station, (shows you how dumb I was then-26"Full & Mod.)and both barrels FIRED AT ONCE! They gave me one more try (they thought I pulled both trig.s/ except, I only had a single trigger) and again- KABANG! BOTH Bbls.shot! WITHOUT PULLING THE TIGGERS! I walked off, said sorrys, red faced and went home, another 2hr.drive!
Got it fixed/ sold the gun / couldn't shoot with it after that! GUN SHY FOR DAKINS!
Don Dabro
Don Dabro is offline   Reply With Quote
Here's another spin on that sad scenario--
Unread 10-24-2010, 10:00 PM   #18
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Here's another spin on that sad scenario--

"The first time a gun malfunctions- get it fixed. The second time it does that- Sell It!"

"Hunting birds with anything other than a good double gun is like shooting pool with a mop handle"

"Any shotgun with two barrels should also have two triggers!"

Charles Nicholson-a Southern gentleman who wrote the best deer hunting story I have ever read- entitled "A deer for Cholly Dorman"--
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2010, 01:32 PM   #19
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,605 Times in 2,666 Posts

Simmons took off Winchester Mod 12 solid ribs by the barrel full and installed high ventilated ribs. They obtained stocks from Fajen's and Bishops in Warsaw MO and put those on as well. Many had high, roll-over combs. They would re-blue the barrel and frame and would sand blast the receiver top for non glare.

Last edited by Bruce Day; 10-25-2010 at 01:51 PM..
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2010, 06:03 PM   #20
Don Dabro
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Morin View Post
"The first time a gun malfunctions- get it fixed. The second time it does that- Sell It!"

"Hunting birds with anything other than a good double gun is like shooting pool with a mop handle"

"Any shotgun with two barrels should also have two triggers!"

Charles Nicholson-a Southern gentleman who wrote the best deer hunting story I have ever read- entitled "A deer for Cholly Dorman"--
THANKS, MR. MORIN, couldn't be more true. I subsequently have owned several Dbl. Bbl. shotguns, including a nice Winchester with which I shot my first 25 straight and 50 strt.
Also, hunted with a really nice "Charles Daly"side-by-side, and an over/under 20ga.- Daly. They were my "main" armory for hunting & SKEET.
Then, I got so spoiled, when the "coach" exposed me to a "Kreighoff K-80, Carrier bbl.with matched tubes, single trig., Beaver forearm, "Black-Pearl" engraving! It had vent-rib on a 28" barrel, and BRILEY did the laser porting on all tubes and barrels. It is the "SWEETEST"gun I've ever owned or handled! A beautiful piece of ART and Workmanship! I love it.
regards, DON DABRO

Last edited by Don Dabro; 10-25-2010 at 06:07 PM.. Reason: spelling
Don Dabro is offline   Reply With Quote