Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 06-06-2011, 11:19 AM   #31
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Tom did the testing for me when I blew up my Remington 1889. I've always used the Cheddite primers [ 115$ per 5000 - Rem 150$ per 5000 ] . They have low pressure like the Remingtons and in about 100,000 loads onlt 2 or 3 have misfired. Paul
Paul Harm is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Paul Harm's homepage!
Unread 06-06-2011, 02:08 PM   #32
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,235 Times in 12,376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Parrish View Post
I got tired of having to drop a pinch of shot in the top of my shells because the bar is dropping lighter than should so I'm going to go with puffed wheat the generic brand. over the top.

I also have been told when the shot is above the wad's fingers this can wear down a barrel.Anyone experience this delima????
Lead shot has been fired without polymer shot cups for a couple of hundred years with no damage to barrel steel regardless of whether the barrels are composite or fluid steel. My experience has been that if lead fouling is not periodically removed from the bores, especially in the chokes, poor pattern results can be experienced. I bought a 28 ga. VHE which had very tight chokes in each barrel but something wasn't quite right so I dry-scrubbed the bores, paying special attention to the chokes, and could hardly believe the amount of lead dust and filings that came out. I don't remember the exact measurements but the before and after measurements were significant.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 06-06-2011, 07:51 PM   #33
Keith Parrish
Forum Associate

Member Info

I stuck with the rem's they went up in price I can get a lil over 3000 for $150. and where I found them cheaper they were sold out. that's fine i'll pay a couple pennies for quality. The Rio's I did research on looked great price wise but had plenty of bad reviews so I'm not gona get the cheapies.

Dave,
I have made it a habit reguardless of how many rounds or what size round I shoot to clean my barrels. It's a good habit.

Got up on a coyote yesterday bout 75yards and was going to wait him in another 30 yd or so to get a good kill shot. but the darn thing split on me. I wanted to take my shot but didn't wana have to chase him all over the ranch. I will meet him again one day...
Keith Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote